pyro

Electrical Help Needed

Hi all. Here I am again with my latest issue. This one has me completely stumped:

I'm riding around town the other day and out of nowhere the engine starts cutting out, then snapping back in, then cutting out again. Eventually it cuts out completely. All the lights and everything are working. It wouldn't start for a few minutes, then started right up. I made it home and went to check for loose connections. Everything looked good but the ground wire on the battery was a little loose and corroded. I figured that had to be the problem, so I wire-brushed it clean and put it back together with some electrical greese. I rode it for about 70 or 80 miles with no issue so I figured it was fixed.

Yesterday I get all geared up and head out for some adventure. I made it all the way to the gas station. Filled her up, start her up, drop it in first gear and the engine dies immediately. Crank it in gear and wont start. Put it back in neutral and it starts right up. Back down in gear it dies. Same thing if going from neutral to 2nd gear. It just dies. So I walk it over into the shade and start thinking maybe it's the side stand safety switch bypass. I think that one is suppost to kill the motor if you put it in gear with the kickstand down. About 5 minutes later I start it in neutral, drop it in gear and it keeps running this time. Jump on and jam back home.

Next I inspected where the safety switch used to be. Found a couple wires soldered together so I figured that must be the bypass. It was corroded so I cut them to expose clean wires. With the wires cut the starter wouldn't work, so that makes me think it was the wrong ones. Put them back together and decided to give it another try. Made it out of the driveway, almost to freeway onramp but engine is cutting out and coming back the same as it was before. Whip a quick u-turn, go home, drink beer and be sad.

Today I have everything taken apart but I can't make any sense of the wiring. None of the wire colors seem to match what it says in the maintenance book. One of the previous owners added a bunch of accessory plugs, relocated the fuses, added heated grips and a box that makes the friggin' headlight flash . . . Yeah all sorta cool I guess(??) but now the bike is not reliable and I can't seem to figure any of this wiring out. I'm no electrician so all I can do is try to see where the wires go and that's about it. Since it doesn't match the colors in the manual, it's impossible to figure out.

Is there any way to trouble shoot this or should I just sell it and buy some roller skates to get me through desert season? Any help and advice is very much appreciated. Sincerely, -troy

If it were a Honda XR I'd direct you to your failing CDI box. Since it isn't, I'll just say maybe it's your CDI box or something similar.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

If it were a Honda XR I'd direct you to your failing CDI box. Since it isn't, I'll just say maybe it's your CDI box or something similar.

Right on, thanks brother. Would it make any difference to the CDI if the bike was in gear or not?

Check the clutch bypass too...same deal as the sidestand

Check thumpertalk for details or advrider

Check thumpertalk for details or advrider

Yep, thanks man. I was looking at that too, although the clutch position didn't seem to make any difference. It was only if the transmission was in gear or not.

Slut, your are brilliant!! I just took the the switch on the clutch lever apart. Inner parts were crushed, corroded and shattered. Did a quick test by bridging what was left of the wiring. With circuit closed it runs when in gear. Circuit open and it stalls. I think we have a winner here!! :good::drinks::good:

Could be that the Flux Capacitor isn't...fluxing...

Indeed, the stupid thing was not fluxing the way it was designed to flux! :heh: Here is the culprit, the interior flux mechanism of the clutch safety switch engine cut-off valve. It seems well used . . . :lol:

IMG_3038.jpg

Looks like you got your problem solved, great!

Out of curiosity, what year year is your KLR? There was a recall on the some of the later years for the electrical harnes rubbing in a couple of points that causes some issues. Even though your problem was the switch, just thought I would bring up the recall issue just in case your bike was once of the years effected.