2012 500EXC

500_exc_us.jpg

250 Lbs without fuel 500EXC

241 Lbs without fuel 350 EXC

Oil Change 15hrs

Valve Clearance 30hrs

Change Piston, Connecting Rod 105hrs

Change ALL engine bearings 105hrs

Tough to get over the maintenance issue. Estimates please on hours to break down and re-assemble complete motor the second go through.

500_exc_us.jpg

250 Lbs without fuel 500EXC

241 Lbs without fuel 350 EXC

Oil Change 15hrs

Valve Clearance 30hrs

Change Piston, Connecting Rod 105hrs

Change ALL engine bearings 105hrs

Tough to get over the maintenance issue. Estimates please on hours to break down and re-assemble complete motor the second go through.

So are you going to get one bagstr? i can see you are very interested and torn between the two. Seems your man hood may be threatened by the 350.

those are the same suggested intervals they have been using for the for the last decade right? There isn't anything magical about the new bikes. No one is doing top ends and def not bottom ends at 105hrs unless those are straight race hours. With one exception, that being the oil change interval. I'm using 8$ a quart motul 5100 semi syn in my bike @ 15hrs, its cheap insurance. They are out of their minds with the 18$ a quart motorex.

PS, valves haven't moved at all on the 350 and compression is still same as new after 85 hrs of mixed track / offroad / desert riding. You should be good on a top end for 200-300 hrs and double or triple that on a bottom end unless you are riding like riding like dave knight imo.

Spaugh - rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I'm in the fondling phase of the relationship. The left / right inertia of the 350 in Intoxicating, vs the 690R.

Just returned from Vey's Grand Opening where two 350EXCs came off the truck. If I wasn't worried about maintaining

my relationship with the WW ( wonderful wife ) a transaction could have evolved. Looking to 2012 to move to the next level,

probably the 350 just to do the Full Monty. 'Til then must suffer through with the 690. :)

PS - I have it on good authority that men of a certain age start to loose their upper body strength. Taking this to heart, it would seem a lighter bike could extend the riding career of this group ( of a certain age).

Covered in Lust

On my 08 530 which shares many of same parts as the new 500 (but 500 has sorted oil system and of course FI and other improvements) I do the oil about 15hrs and use Rotella T6 synthetic available cheap from walmart, valves I checked at 30hrs and spot on, again at 100hrs, then last at 250hrs and still fine. I rebuilt top end at 250 as had to do oil system updates as was transfering oil and rings were found out of spec, could have got away with just rings but put in a new vertex piston which has better design oil ring. Now doesn't use any oil and runs great again. Done 300hrs now and plan sometime between 400/450hrs will pull it down again and check top end and put in rings or piston as needed as then will probably be selling/trading for a new 500.

On a new 500 I would do pretty much same again but probably check /replace rings around 200hrs and then a piston at maybe 300 depending on how it looks, should get a leakdown tester though to see how it degrades with time without pulling top end. If I got the 350 would probably do a bit sooner as they like to be revved a bit more than the 500 so would expect it to wear a bit faster also.

My bike is ridden reasonably hard but isn't run WFO for long stretches on road or desert, along with frequent oil, filters and air filters the motor is solid so depending on how you ride and maintain you would need to change accordingly.

Don't be put off by the "recommended" maintenance, they off course do this to cover themselves, sell more parts and get KTM dealers more service $$'s.

I was at NCY yesterday picking up a couple of tires and as usual I had to look at new bikes.

They have one 2013 KTM 350 EXC sitting on the floor. It sure feels light. Jim the owner said

that they already sold 5 2013 500 EXC's.

CID

Tough to get over the maintenance issue.

What's your mission statement for this bike? If maintenance intervals are a concern, and you're manhood is intact, you might want to consider other alternatives:

dirol.gifcowboy.gifrolleyes.gif

CID,

You go first. I am right behind you!

C-Daddy

For your information, my manhood is not what it once was and a little Orange Juice couldn't hurt.

Mission Statement = Small Trails in Big Spaces. Not planning any Kug Scale Tours. The BIG bikes have there place, but having done that I am looking for those experiences not yet conquered.

Operating in the wilderness with the handicap of too much weight is a thing of the past for this cowboy. Bagstr is ready to Embrace the High maintenance concept. Time to learn the finer points of cam / valve set-up.

Making a list and checking it twice,,,3.2 vs 5 gal tank - carbon header guard - Seat Concepts - stabilizer bracket, fun stuff. Once I finish farm chores and Park Tours, the fun will begin.

I am planning on you showing me all your super secret trails this fall.

B