Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Corral Canyon 5/11/07

The day started out pretty good. I met up with Chris and Bruce at 0900, ready to go at the Pine Valley exit. We made our way up Bear Valley Road without any issues and headed towards Kernan Cycle Trail. A small side trail caught my interest so we went that way for a bit. A break in the shade was in order.

P1010001-3.jpg

We headed down Kernan on this perfect Friday. You couldn't ask for a much nicer day, we only saw one other rider out there today. Here's Chris coming around a corner on his DR250.

P1010002-2.jpg

And Bruce on his XR650L.

P1010003-1.jpg

The group got up to Four Corners and had a visitor of the reptilian variety. This little rattlesnake took a liking to the Maxxis IT on my Yamaha. After moving the bike he was pissed off!

P1010004-1.jpg

I led us up trail #1 all the way to the end. Great view of Lake Morena toward the end of the trail along with a bit of a challenging rocky section. We decided to turn around and head back the way we came. I thought it was more difficult going up the rocks but everyone made it. As we got back to Four Corners, Bruce and I heard a commotion. I headed back down the trail and saw that Chris had a spill. He hurt his hand so we decided to take pavement home. No worries, we took the road from Four Corners back to Buckman Springs and on towards Old Buckman Springs Road to Old Highway 80. Shortly after the Border Patrol checkpoint I noticed a lot of wallowing from the back of my bike. I pulled over and saw the flat rear tire that I was expecting. I made it another 100 yards or so until I got to the shade of a California live oak. I waited for 20 minutes or so but nobody came back around. I started to change my flat tire.

P1010005-2.jpg

I took my time and got my tube changed, luckily I had enough CO2 cartriges to seat the bead. Rode back to the Pine Valley exit and everyone was gone. I loaded up and headed home. Good to know that my tire change kit works at least??

Thanks for the report... seems you guys had a day full of fun and adventure! :blink: I was at Corral Canyon last Friday, and I always love that place.. :clapping: Maybe it is that it brings up memories of my riding some years ago.. Hope Chris hands is fine... By the way, I have never had to change my tire during an adventure.. I have done it at home, and I have my kit with spare tube and stuff.. but, I can imagine changing it in the middle of a trail in the heat.. :clapping: Well, I know it will happen some day... I supposed it's part of the adventure.... :clapping:

post-633-1179031822_thumb.jpgended up with a sprained wrist and two broken ribs, but i feel worse now, knowing you got left behind with a flat tire.

Gentlemen,

I was not there, but I am concerned that a rider on an SDAR ride got left behind.

When you / us get together, there MUST be accountability for the riders in the group!! :clapping:

Truely I was startled when as I read TNT's account, that he took care of his biz, and NO ONE came back, and NO ONE was at the meet point.

Guys!!! IF and I do mean IF he had fallen, then lost time can cause serious injury or death.....you have got to make sure your last rider is IN before bailing out!!!!!!!

You know....I'm just sayin!

Gentlemen,

I was not there, but I am concerned that a rider on an SDAR ride got left behind.

When you / us get together, there MUST be accountability for the riders in the group!! :clapping:

Truely I was startled when as I read TNT's account, that he took care of his biz, and NO ONE came back, and NO ONE was at the meet point.

Guys!!! IF and I do mean IF he had fallen, then lost time can cause serious injury or death.....you have got to make sure your last rider is IN before bailing out!!!!!!!

You know....I'm just sayin!

Well......I was more than a little upset when I got my tube changed and didn't see anybody come back. When I got to the staging point and everyone was gone, that didn't help my mood much. I stopped off for lunch and settled down about it. I know Chris got hurt, so he and Bruce were probably pretty concerned about that and they just spaced it. I am going to make a point next time I lead a ride to ensure that everyone is responsible for the next rider. It all worked out okay this time, I had the tools and dumb luck to be able to fix the bike and ride back(ran out of CO2 and broke my inflator).

Anytime these guys want to ride, I'm ready to go again. Just watch out for each other out there!

I would have to say that really sucks! You don't ever, ever leave the meeting point with ONE man left on the trail. I understand people being hurt, but no one was dying! But someone could of been, on the trail! Yes that's worst case scenario, but ---- happens and we are supposed to watch out for each other. ---- why go with a group, might as well just go by yourself! I am glad tntmo had the tools and supplies to get himself out of the jam! I have been noticing a lot of people are not carrying tools, tubes and necessities when doing this sport. If you can spend the money on your bike, you can spend the money on equipment to save your own ass! I go out with newbs who don't know and don't have anything, but I do this knowing that it is up to me and I take on that responsibility. Experienced riders who don't carry anything are just being jackasses! The rest of us don't need to be your supply train. That being said I would NEVER deny someone the help or supplies they needed to get them home!

I would have to say that really sucks! You don't ever, ever leave the meeting point with ONE man left on the trail. I understand people being hurt, but no one was dying! But someone could of been, on the trail! Yes that's worst case scenario, but ---- happens and we are supposed to watch out for each other. ---- why go with a group, might as well just go by yourself! I am glad tntmo had the tools and supplies to get himself out of the jam! I have been noticing a lot of people are not carrying tools, tubes and necessities when doing this sport. If you can spend the money on your bike, you can spend the money on equipment to save your own ass! I go out with newbs who don't know and don't have anything, but I do this knowing that it is up to me and I take on that responsibility. Experienced riders who don't carry anything are just being jackasses! The rest of us don't need to be your supply train. That being said I would NEVER deny someone the help or supplies they needed to get them home!

Very well put. I decided a solo ride was in order to clear the head yesterday. I Got to the top of Viejas grade and noticed my tire was just about out of air. While changing the tire I had street biker stop and offer to help. I thanked him and sent him on his way. It gave me a good feeling to know that a fellow biker cared enough to stop and check things out, and he wasnt even a club member. For the balance of the ride I was concerned about not having another tube just incase. Think I will start lugging two tubes. We have to look out for each other because no one esle is. The mountian bikers went by laughing.

When I posted this, I meant to stir the pot a little bit. I wasn't looking to point fingers at my riding partners that day, but rather to point fingers at all of us to make sure we do two things.

#1: Watch out for the rest of your group.

#2: As the Boy Scouts say, Be Prepared.

I used to be one of those guys who never carried the repair stuff. I only recently picked up the fender bag, tire irons and inflator. I have never changed a tire on the trail until the other day, never had a flat on the trail. I thought it was one of those things that happened to someone else. If you ride off road, learn to change your own tires in the garage where there is beer, music, etc to get the tricks of the trade down and then when you have to do it in the dirt on the side of the trail you will have the required skills.

Here's a few links to some cheap gear to get you started. It's the same junk that I have and it worked.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...dFamilyId=15582

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...dFamilyId=16591

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...dFamilyId=13067

Pretty sure it was Joliet who had some golden advice about the tire change. When you change your tire in your garage use only the tools and equipment you will be taking with you. With yesterdays flat i found my self using my letherman plyers to remove the wheel locks. Now the nuts are rounded and have to be replaced. Jut one more thing to do cause i wasnt prepaired. And just a FYI--- when movin rocks around to balance your bike while changing the tire, Watch for snakes. Scared the crap out of me!!! there every where!

When I first read the post, I did not really get the drift of the story, that he was left behind.. He mentioned getting the flat after the border check point, so I figure that was the road part going back home.. I think it is a very important point to make to assure each rider is responsible for the one before, and to have points of the trail to wait for slower riders (specifically when you get to points where the trail divides).. During a trip to Palomar Mountain, being the slower rider, I suddenly was left behind and temporarily felt lost.. :unsure: It fetl really bad knowing the riders left... fortunately I found one of the other riders and eventually we found each other... after this ride I purchased a GPS and started using maps to feel more self sufficient.. but still it is wrong... maybe at the start of the ride we should discuss how we are going to watch for each other and waiting points.. I now carry spare tube and tools with me, and last time I changed my tire in my garage it took me 5 hours...(I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm learning).. So I try to go on trips with buddies that I know and that I feels safe... know we can help each other... Now, these trips are not races, but a lot of people love to race each other and ride very fast... slower riders like me feel a lot of pressure not to be left behind and to keep up, placing ourselves at higher risk.. it is important to set the pace and it is not a ride for advance riders, then ride a little slower please...

Now, I have heard of this tubes that are made of some moose stuff that don't go flat?? Any guys tried them??

Well, finally, I think we all learn from experiences... This is another lesson!! I'm glad things did not go worst on this ride... hope you recover fast from your wrist and rib injury Chriss ;)

ended up with a sprained wrist and two broken ribs, but i feel worse now, knowing you got left behind with a flat tire.

Sorry to hear you got hurt. Heal up soon.

I think it is a very important point to make to assure each rider is responsible for the one before, and to have points of the trail to wait for slower riders (specifically when you get to points where the trail divides).. maybe at the start of the ride we should discuss how we are going to watch for each other and waiting points.. slower riders like me feel a lot of pressure not to be left behind and to keep up, placing ourselves at higher risk..

Good points Martin. The pre-ride meeting should include discussion of waiting for the rider behind you at every split in the trail, and more importantly returning to the last spot you saw someone if you get separated. Having lost people (temporarily) in the past, it's very concerning to search for a while, backtrack the route for miles, and still not find them.

I read a good one in Dirt Rider a while ago. Wait at the split for the person behind you. When you see them coming wave :blink:and wait for them to wave back ;) I wish I had read this advice BEFORE I lost papaalex by waving at him and assuming he saw me, then spending the next hour in a fruitless search and backtracking effort. :unsure:

Whatever the agreement of the group is at the beginning of the ride, the biggest point should be to stay put if you lose the group while trailing. The other important point is CHECK 6 and go back if you lose your trailer.

As far as feeling pressured to keep up, I say DON'T! I don't expect guys that want to ride faster than me to slow down, but I do expect them to wait at the Y if they care to stay with the "group". If you don't want to wait just say "see you back at the trucks".

Not foolproof by any means, just my .02 :tease:

Glad everything turned out o.k. for you Tom, GET WELL SOON CHRIS!

When I first read this I was shocked to hear that someone got left behind. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like they probably did the correct thing. IMHO if someone thinks there is a possiblility of internal injuries/bleeding ect. medical attention should be found post-haste. Having been the unfortunate receiptiant of close to 20 broken ribs myself, Chris would have probably not been much help anyway. Anything from bending down and helping to change a tire to helping you pick your bike up out of a ditch would have been extremly difficult and painful. The best Chris probably could have done for you is call 911 if you were injured. If he had internal injuries Tom have been the one calling 911 for Chris.

What about the 3rd guy you ask? I would never leave an injured person alone, you never know when "shock" will raise its ugly head. Some one should have followed Chris to make sure he got back to his vehicle, help him load his bike and depending on how he was doing, drive or follow him to the emergency room. (But a quick note on Tom's windshield would have been nice)

Now if the injuries were obviously not that bad and Bruce wasn't going to follow him to the doctor, I feel this would have been the time to go back for Tom.

Personally I like to verify there is someone behind me every minute or so, if I don't see them I slow down and go another minute or so, if I still don't see them I stop for another minute or 2 and listen. If I hear them comming I will just wait, If I hear nothing I will turn around and check on them. By that time the same chain reaction should have happened with the people in front of you. And like mentioned earlier at every corner wait for the guy behind you to give you the signal that he is OK and sees you. I prefer the thumbs up rather than just a waive.

It is a good idea to discuss this before the ride starts, I know every one wants to get riding but it only takes a minute. It is also a good idea to get the other guys names and cell phone numbers before the ride starts. This has come in handy many times.

One last note, if you don't have spare parts, tubes ect. for your bike, please don't let that stop you from riding with the group, if you don't have $400 boots and pads and stuff no one is going to dog on you. There probably isn't one of us that didn't start with just a helmet, jeans and hiking boots we all survived, and some of the good riders don't wear much more than that now. :unsure: Ken

When I first read this I was shocked to hear that someone got left behind. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like they probably did the correct thing. IMHO if someone thinks there is a possiblility of internal injuries/bleeding ect. medical attention should be found post-haste. Having been the unfortunate receiptiant of close to 20 broken ribs myself, Chris would have probably not been much help anyway. Anything from bending down and helping to change a tire to helping you pick your bike up out of a ditch would have been extremly difficult and painful. The best Chris probably could have done for you is call 911 if you were injured. If he had internal injuries Tom have been the one calling 911 for Chris.

What about the 3rd guy you ask? I would never leave an injured person alone, you never know when "shock" will raise its ugly head. Some one should have followed Chris to make sure he got back to his vehicle, help him load his bike and depending on how he was doing, drive or follow him to the emergency room. (But a quick note on Tom's windshield would have been nice)

Now if the injuries were obviously not that bad and Bruce wasn't going to follow him to the doctor, I feel this would have been the time to go back for Tom.

Personally I like to verify there is someone behind me every minute or so, if I don't see them I slow down and go another minute or so, if I still don't see them I stop for another minute or 2 and listen. If I hear them comming I will just wait, If I hear nothing I will turn around and check on them. By that time the same chain reaction should have happened with the people in front of you. And like mentioned earlier at every corner wait for the guy behind you to give you the signal that he is OK and sees you. I prefer the thumbs up rather than just a waive.

It is a good idea to discuss this before the ride starts, I know every one wants to get riding but it only takes a minute. It is also a good idea to get the other guys names and cell phone numbers before the ride starts. This has come in handy many times.

One last note, if you don't have spare parts, tubes ect. for your bike, please don't let that stop you from riding with the group, if you don't have $400 boots and pads and stuff no one is going to dog on you. There probably isn't one of us that didn't start with just a helmet, jeans and hiking boots we all survived, and some of the good riders don't wear much more than that now. :unsure: Ken

Ditto, Ditto,Exactly!!!

I guess I'm one of those newbs that is un prepared. I did bring fix a flat but was told it does not work! Is this true or false? I also need to learn to fix my own flats, as I'm mechanically lame! For me this is one of the reasons that I ride in groups so if something happens someone can probably help me through it. The more I think about it though that is probably very unfair. Maybe someone from the group might be able to host a fun class for newbs like me. How to change tires, what to carry, basic maintenance for my bike, ect. I would like to know what to do before I ride and what I should do after, sorry pretty lame I know. Put me in any situation in the ocean surfing or swimming and I will have no problems! Working on my bike I'm clueless! I'm having problems just dropping it off at a dealer probably overpaying and not learning anything to help myself when I really need it! Its just a matter of time, I've lucky so far. XRbum has offered me to come by his house and learn to change my tires and I think if the offer still exists I will take him up on it! I just think it might be fun to learn in a group, in the garage with music, and a cold one! Thoughts anyone?

I rode with Chris before and Joilet and they both waited for me and Chris did come back looking for me once when I was lagging! I actually found a GPS system on the trail and was checking it out. I was really impressed by Chris for doing that.

Ron

Honda XR650L

I guess I'm one of those newbs that is un prepared. I did bring fix a flat but was told it does not work! Is this true or false? I also need to learn to fix my own flats, as I'm mechanically lame! For me this is one of the reasons that I ride in groups so if something happens someone can probably help me through it. The more I think about it though that is probably very unfair. Maybe someone from the group might be able to host a fun class for newbs like me. How to change tires, what to carry, basic maintenance for my bike, ect. I would like to know what to do before I ride and what I should do after, sorry pretty lame I know. Put me in any situation in the ocean surfing or swimming and I will have no problems! Working on my bike I'm clueless! I'm having problems just dropping it off at a dealer probably overpaying and not learning anything to help myself when I really need it! Its just a matter of time, I've lucky so far. XRbum has offered me to come by his house and learn to change my tires and I think if the offer still exists I will take him up on it! I just think it might be fun to learn in a group, in the garage with music, and a cold one! Thoughts anyone?

I rode with Chris before and Joilet and they both waited for me and Chris did come back looking for me once when I was lagging! I actually found a GPS system on the trail and was checking it out. I was really impressed by Chris for doing that.

Ron

Honda XR650L

Ron, I'm on the same boat.. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I supposed that's more of an attitude... I have been involved wiht SDAR and for the most part this group is very helpful and cool! With time I am learning more what to bring on the rides, and I actually changed my tire in my garage, but took me 5 hours..I also purchased a GPS so I learn to be more self sufficient, but I still don't know how to work it out that well... As you go on more rides, you will start to learn.. It unfair to other riders not to be prepared (bring own tube, tools, etc.), but in general, if things happen, other's will help out.. I'm very impressed with this bunch, we are a very good group of people who enjoy riding!! So just enjoy and try to learn from more experience riders; always bring sufficient water, engergy bars, tools, and try to learn the trails... well, that's what I do... Don't push yourself to keep up (this has been my mistake), just ride at your pace and skill level... if I can be of much help, let me know.... :unsure:

When I first read the post, I did not really get the drift of the story, that he was left behind.. He mentioned getting the flat after the border check point, so I figure that was the road part going back home.. I think it is a very important point to make to assure each rider is responsible for the one before, and to have points of the trail to wait for slower riders (specifically when you get to points where the trail divides).. During a trip to Palomar Mountain, being the slower rider, I suddenly was left behind and temporarily felt lost.. :unsure: It fetl really bad knowing the riders left... fortunately I found one of the other riders and eventually we found each other... after this ride I purchased a GPS and started using maps to feel more self sufficient.. but still it is wrong... maybe at the start of the ride we should discuss how we are going to watch for each other and waiting points.. I now carry spare tube and tools with me, and last time I changed my tire in my garage it took me 5 hours...(I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm learning).. So I try to go on trips with buddies that I know and that I feels safe... know we can help each other... Now, these trips are not races, but a lot of people love to race each other and ride very fast... slower riders like me feel a lot of pressure not to be left behind and to keep up, placing ourselves at higher risk.. it is important to set the pace and it is not a ride for advance riders, then ride a little slower please...

Now, I have heard of this tubes that are made of some moose stuff that don't go flat?? Any guys tried them??

Well, finally, I think we all learn from experiences... This is another lesson!! I'm glad things did not go worst on this ride... hope you recover fast from your wrist and rib injury Chriss ;)

that moose stuff that doesnt go flat works great off road only, they are like solid tennis balls but they evaporate when riding on street, i guess they get to hot.

I am going to steal a line from RO. I say what I mean and do what I say(however that goes). On the Desert dash first day I wiped out really good! I believe I cracked a rib, and did some separating of my shoulder! Shoulder still hurts, and still have loss of feeling in my hand. Never went to the doctor because the pain lessened as time went by and did not get worse(hate going to the doctor). I was done with the dash. Swallowed pain killers and drank that night to kill pain(I don't really drink). Next day SDland is telling me he is going to sweep the course by himself, with a broken bike! I was in pain, done and packing. In the spirit of looking out for each other I could not let him go alone. Doped myself up on some more pain killer and went. 3/4 of a man is better than none! His bike did start to overheat at the end, but no big deal. So you can understand that I do not subscribe to the notion of changing our motto to "NO one gets left behind, unless you leave a note!" That is weak, and not the right attitude to have! I have ridden with all involved and all good people. Some things just should not happen!

I am going to steal a line from RO. I say what I mean and do what I say(however that goes). On the Desert dash first day I wiped out really good! I believe I cracked a rib, and did some separating of my shoulder! Shoulder still hurts, and still have loss of feeling in my hand. Never went to the doctor because the pain lessened as time went by and did not get worse(hate going to the doctor). I was done with the dash. Swallowed pain killers and drank that night to kill pain(I don't really drink). Next day SDland is telling me he is going to sweep the course by himself, with a broken bike! I was in pain, done and packing. In the spirit of looking out for each other I could not let him go alone. Doped myself up on some more pain killer and went. 3/4 of a man is better than none! His bike did start to overheat at the end, but no big deal. So you can understand that I do not subscribe to the notion of changing our motto to "NO one gets left behind, unless you leave a note!" That is weak, and not the right attitude to have! I have ridden with all involved and all good people. Some things just should not happen!

I don't think I would or could leave anyone behind either, but in this case it may have been prudent to lend assistance to an obviously injured person as opposed to going back for someone that may be having mechanical trouble, taking a leak or whatever. We all have to make choices and with the limited amount of information I have, I can't say for certain, someone made the wrong choice here. I am glad everyone is O.K.

The last time I got hurt riding(also at the desert dash), I got seperated from my group and well off the beaten path. I did what I thought was the correct thing, I went back to the place we got seperated and waited for 20 minutes, when that didn't pan out I went to our next reset on the roll chart (which I didn't have with me because I was riding with a group and they all had one) (lesson 1, be self sufficient). I then proceded cross country through the desert for an hour because I had no roll chart but knew the basic direction to go, then I went ahead to the lunch stop and waited there for an hour. I never found my group until I got back to camp. The thing that bothered me the most was wondering if they were still looking for me back where they lost me. (which they wern't) (lesson 2, take the time to make a quick "what if" plan, where to meet, ect.) If we would have had each others cell numbers, we could have updated each other when we got into cell range. You probably won't hear the phone ring but can check the message when you stop.

It was a learning experience for me and maybe others can benifit from it also. I am kind of anal about the no man left behind which probably stems from my Marine Corps training. Semper Fi is a good motto for riding buddies too. B) Ken

Ron

Honda XR650L

I have been riding for many years and back in the 80s, I carried a plug and plug wrench and maybe a screw driver and a couple of small wrenches. Nothing ever seemed to go wrong, heck I didn't even carry water with me! These days I carry alot more tools, like axle wrenches, flashlight, first aid kit, toilet paper, tire irons, zip ties, spare levers, tube patches, spare nuts and bolts, side cutters, space blanket, signal mirror and on and on. Two years ago while riding solo, I got into a situation in the dead of winter where I couldn't get my bike out of a bad predicament all by myself and I knew nobody was going to find me that day, but luckily I had enough tools to dissasseble my machine down to small enough pieces to carry it out of the bad spot, put it all back together and ride it back to my truck just as it was getting dark and freezing cold, so as you can see, a well put together tool kit can make a big difference in making it out or not.

, but luckily I had enough tools to dissasseble my machine down to small enough pieces to carry it out of the bad spot, put it all back together and ride it back to my truck just as it was getting dark and freezing cold, so as you can see, a well put together tool kit can make a big difference in making it out or not.

dirt dame, I don't think I'm that good with motors to dissasseble my bike and put it back together... hopefully with time, with my new attitude toward mechanics, I'll be able to do that.. you are probably very good and know your stuff... on the other hand, it makes me think, when you are in a predicament, some how we all get the strenght and smarts to get through...(with proper tools of course) So, who knows, maybe I could do it... I would recommend anybody else like me who does not know about mechanics to start doing stuff to your motorcycle in order to get more familiar.. and heck, probably save some money since shops over charge for any work to your bike... :D

I know this ride report has changed to be prepared report, but it's important, so we shall continue... When I first started riding with other riders at SDAR I did not have a mind of my own... Just trusted and followed along... after reading about the trip when the group got into quite a situation where a guy had to be pulled out by a helicopter, it made me change my attitude... get to know the maps, GPS, routes, be prepared, take tools, and if something does not feel right, just don't do it or speak your mind.. :D I also try to go on rides with riders I know and I trust their judgement... I like some challenge and taking some risk, but there's a line between taking a risk and stupidity.. B)

Okay, this is a good time to bring this up again. I thought I posted this here too, but maybe I only put it on ThumperTalk. Here's the link.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477496

I am going to make a point of having one filled out with me, along with a few blank ones for the new people I ride with to fill out before the ride. Maybe we could make a custom one up just for SDAR rides and make it standard operating procedure before the ride begins?

Tom

Ron

Honda XR650L

From time to time we do have maintenance days, north county and East county. That is the best time to practice tire repairs and to see what each rider carries on the bike.

I never leave anyone behind, however sometimes we get seperated. It does depend on the size of the group. If 3-4 riders seperate from a large group, they still have riding buddies if something happens.

We are supposed to look out for each other. B)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I also like to say what I mean and do what I say. I ride fast so their are always lots of people behind me, that way I dont need to carry any tools or worry about crashing. B):D:D

Hey HH it's not fair... I'm the slowest one of all... I'll be the one carrying your tools, extra tube, emergency kit, emergency phone... B) I better get into a fast pace enduro racing riding school to be a faster rider.. :D:D