Sign in to follow this  
Metal Twister

Steering Stabilizer Questions

Ive decided its time to reward myself for a being such a hard working fool. Thought a Steering Stabilizer might be what the doctor ordered but not sure. Thought I had better get some advice from the guys that have them. I've been told the the lc4 could, and should have one. If that is true, what brand is the best? over bar or under? Any thing to look out for as far installing? I never have ridden a bike with one so, any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

Ive decided its time to reward myself for a being such a hard working fool. Thought a Steering Stabilizer might be what the doctor ordered but not sure. Thought I had better get some advice from the guys that have them. I've been told the the lc4 could, and should have one. If that is true, what brand is the best? over bar or under? Any thing to look out for as far installing? I never have ridden a bike with one so any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a GPR on my YZ400F (top mount) and a Scotts on KTM EXC 400 - I prefer the GPR. Local outfit, friendly service folks, and most importantly - it's reliable, very good quality, and easy to use/switch settings on the fly ......just one big'ole dial to roll in or out. My Scotts has blown oil seals on me twice and the settings aren't as repeatible (no numbering system on the dial if you decide on a favorite setting for a given trail, sand wash, etc).

The 2002 520 I just bought doesn't have a stabilizer on it......not so critical (IMHO) for summer trail riding, but it'll get fitted with a GPR before the next desert season begins....they really are nice to have in sand washes out at Ocotillo/Glamis/Baja/etc.

my vote - Go with a GPR

I never have ridden a bike with one so any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

Feel free to hop on the Mighty SXC next time were out and see how you like the GPR. I have them on all 3 of the big bikes. The 450 is on top and the 525 & 625 are underbar (because I like the extra height it gives the bars. The dampening of the GPR is effective in both directions (out and return) while the Scotts dampens the turn, but not the return (which, I've read, some guys prefer). I talked with Alex about this 2 days ago and encouraged him to ask the KTM dealer about the difference in the two. Dave at All American strongly recommended, and installed, a GPR under bar for Papa. Dave said there are other negative issues with the Scotts...

I didn't install the stabilizers on my bikes and I'm not sure if they were installed by the original owners or a shop.....(I buy my bikes used and loaded with desired goodies.....if possible)......I'll probably just take my new (used) 520 over to GPR....

Thanks for the link to GPR, cool looking stuff. Are there any draw backs you can think of? It seems like it would work your arms, maybe even ware you out over a long ride. Seems like at the end of a long ride is when it would be most efficitive. Its when you are tired you dont want to fight the handelbars, Do you just turn down the resistance? Sorry, having a hard time understanding how they can help. They must work, Im the only guy that dosnt have one. LOL thanks

did you guys install these things yourself? Or was it a shop thing?

Yeah, they're a piece of cake. You just have to disassemble the upper tripple clamp to get the post onto the seteering head. I know the secret and I'll be happy to help :clapping:

Seems like at the end of a long ride is when it would be most efficitive. Its also when you are tired enough you dont want to fight the handelbars. Do you just turn down the resistance?

The biggest advantage I've found is the reduction in headshake at speeds in excess of 100mph :clapping: They also resist the tendency for the bike to yank sideways if you encounter a rock at normal speeds. Turn it up to higher resistance (6 or 7) in the sand washes and on those boring highway stretches between the dirt sections, down to lower resistance (2 to 3) for the really slow technical stuff where you're twisting and turning a lot. I usually run at a setting of 3 to 5 for normal dirt riding and it doesn't get tiring at all...

did you guys install these things yourself? Or was it a shop thing?

Yeah, they're a piece of cake. You just have to disassemble the upper tripple clamp to get the post onto the seteering head. I know the secret and I'll be happy to help :clapping:

Seems like at the end of a long ride is when it would be most efficitive. Its also when you are tired enough you dont want to fight the handelbars. Do you just turn down the resistance?

The biggest advantage I've found is the reduction in headshake at speeds in excess of 100mph :clapping: They also resist the tendency for the bike to yank sideways if you encounter a rock at normal speeds. Turn it up to higher resistance (6 or 7) in the sand washes and on those boring highway stretches between the dirt sections, down to lower resistance (2 to 3) for the really slow technical stuff where you're twisting and turning a lot. I usually run at a setting of 3 to 5 for normal dirt riding and it doesn't get tiring at all...

Very good, GPR it is! Ok where are the hot deals? Or is there such a thing as Deals?

Maybe there isnt enough of them out there for them to get competitive. Any insite any one?

Find the Right deal on the GPR and mounting kit and I will buy one too. Do I see a group buy opportunity with a club discount? So far 3 ktms that need it.

I think the stabilizers are universal but the mounting kits are different. The only advantage to a top mount is that you can take it off quick and slap it on another bike.

Find the Right deal on the GPR and mounting kit and I will buy one too. Do I see a group buy opportunity with a club discount? So far 3 ktms that need it.

I think the stabilizers are universal but the mounting kits are different. The only advantage to a top mount is that you can take it off quick and slap it on another bike.

Good thought Paul. You Know Ive got friend, who's got friend, who knows a guy, LOL. I Might have a in with GPR. I will check on a quanity discount with these guys early next week, see what we can do. Who Knows? Looking at 3 or 4. Hey Rob, I see a steering stabilizer installation party in the near furture. Hint Hint

Hey Rob, I see a steering stabilizer installation party in the near furture. Hint Hint

No problem! I've got it down to a science by now...

I get mine from Munn Racing through the KTMtalk website. I get the 25% off discount by being a Lifetime Team Talk member there. Retail on the V.2 (underbar) is $450, Team Talk price is $338 plus shipping. I can order them for you or you can go sign-up at KTMtalk and get big discounts forever. Let me know if I can help... :clapping: