SteelRain

BRP (XR650r)

Now that I am back in the land of the employed, and as such will be doing fewer miles (Atleast I got the TAT, CDR, and GC in this year) I have been thinking about picking up an XR650r.

Would you guys buy one? Why or why not. I have wanted one for a while and considering they are cheap and reliable maybe now is the time.

I have a line on two that are plated and several that are not. After getting the WR plated I have no fear of the DMV anymore but the hassle would be worth a few hundred bucks.

Also, anything to look for on the bike that shows it is a trouble maker (other thant the obvious stuff we all know to look for)?

Thanks Guys!

for Ocotillo Wells, Superstition, Fish Creek, Baja, etc. I would get an XRR in a heartbeat... for most trail riding that we do (although I'm sure it would be ok) I would pick a smaller pony

but you already have a smaller pony... did your DRZ die?

and you still have your GS... congrats on getting a new gig

I've always wanted one, but I've stopped looking because they're old pigs. Your WR450 is just as reliable and has e-start. Honda stopped making them because the CRF450X is just as powerful and 50 pounds lighter with e-start. Okay maybe not as much torque, but still enough for most applications and you even have that nifty electric start thingamajob. Have you ever tried to kick start a 325# motorcycle on the side of a sand dune after it got dropped and then flipped upside down? Not saying it's a pain in the ass or anything...

Got to ride one for a few seconds last weekend. Stock front suspension seemed soft even for me at 150lbs (big brake dive). Supposedly they are undersprung and overdampened from the factor. Precision Concepts will fix that for you. The guy who owned it said it was like "dancing with a big girl..." nothing like your GS tho.

The only thing I've heard that can go wrong is the axle adjuster bolts often seize in the swingarm ha

Just got one last year and I like it. Some times a bit heavy but if that's a concern I use a 250 instead.

I prefer it for doing long haul Death Valley type rides.

post-3850-022039000 1318042736_thumb.jpg

Guest Crusty

Awesome bike with many Baja Wins under it's belt. Reliable as the 450X with less Maintenance.

I still see a lot of them racing Baja. "Baja Turtle" Ken can't spell his last name rides his to Baja races and rides home.ph34r.gif

If they still made them I would have one, I want a brand new one.

Mine would look like this.

newXRR.jpg

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858702&highlight=baja+turtle

BAJA TURTLE

#297X 2009 RACE RESULTS FINAL and Complete Sponsors

INTERNATIONAL BAJA 2009 RACE TEAM BAJA TURTLE RESULTS

Ken Kosiorek "Baja Turtle"

Kenweld@san.rr.com

December 22nd, 2009

BAJA TURTLE #297X IRON MAN 2009/2008 international races to the finish line, We brought home the almost impossible to get INTERNATIONAL: SOLO "Ironman Trophy" for the SECOND year in a row.

We also brought Cancer awareness through the Pink Hummer, Ninja "The Viper" Lena, BAJAPITS RACING and General Tires Synergy Team (Mike Horner) to our racers and spent a racers and crew day at the Castro-Limon Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico on November 18th and raised funds for the clinic and it's operation.

I applaudnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif all that gave me the courage to compete in the most dangerous races in the world and I thank you all for your moral support. I am also impressed with the Detailing job on my race bike at each 2009 SCORE PIT SERVICE OF THE YEAR "BAJAPITS" as the Bike always looked "Ice Clean"

The reliable street legal Honda 2002 XR650R on display at Fun Bike Center, San Diego, CA was again riden to the BAJA 500, Vegas to Reno and BAJA 1000 race events from my home in San Diego to complete the races on one set of Dunlops per race with NO FLATS and then a safe return ride home to prove the quality of the Honda Race Bike and Dunlop Tires.

The Race Schedule:

Baja 250 March 13-15, 2009 FINISHED SOLO IRONMAN

Baja 500 June 5-7, 2009 FINISHED SOLO IRONMAN

Vegas to Reno August 20, 2009 FINISHED SOLO IRONMAN

Baja 1000 November 19-21, 2009 FINISHED SOLO IRONMAN

They need suspension help and overheat when stock. Most of my buddies are using 450's now for Baja multi day rides. The 650 is no more reliable than the lighter KTM RFS bike.

I rode a CRF450R for years and sold it to buy my plated XRR. First thing I did was get a new seat, then I swapped the forks with newer USD forks, the shock was already PC'd. I love the bike. Never had a problem maneuvering it in tight situations, and it eats up desert like a fat kid eats cake. I'm a bigger guy (6'2" 225lbs), and it works great for me. If I had the money, I'd have a KTM 530 in the garage, but for the money, you can't beat it.

Lots if good info and thoughts guys. After riding with Ken a few times I have no real qualms about the capabilities of the BRP.

The bike I am looking at is CHEAP, comes with multiple sets of wheels and rims, and is very, very clean, is setup suspension wise and with lots of aftermarket kit; not to mention it is plated! The only thing it needs is a desert tank.

Guest Crusty

Sounds great, BUY IT!

I have also seen the 650 XRR on the track at Pala and racing at the World Vet race at Glen Helen doing well!

When are we riding?coolio.gif

When are we riding?

I have been asking you that for months!

Tomorrow the bike will be in my garage.

Let's see some pics of the new bike David.

CiD

Working on it. I decided to tear into it and make sure everything is kosher so the bike is in about a million pieces right now. Once it is back together I will get some pics.

Let's see some pics of the new bike David.

CiD

Working on it. I decided to tear into it and make sure everything is kosher so the bike is in about a million pieces right now. Once it is back together I will get some pics.

Progress pics are always cool.

cn

Guest Crusty

Hurry up, so we can ride Hixon and Alesandro before it snows.

You should have a lot more fun this time.

I want to spend some time in Tecate riding single track,

then ride to Mike's!

This Sunday, riding Coral Canyon tech stuff,

join us?

PM. me or not!

Craig.

Progress pics are always cool.

LOL, you really want picks of a rolling chassis and a shelve in my garage full of parts? I should be done in about a week or so, needed to order some parts. Once the parts come in I will get some pics. Then Assemble the bike and get you guys more pics.

I know this pig is gonna need some serious suspension work and that is in line also. Then I will ride the pig the way she deserved to have been treated. Last owner used it as s grocery bike, and considering it only had 9xx miles on it when I tore it down I am pretty sure the first owner never touched the poor girl.

That will change.

Hurry up, so we can ride Hixon and Alesandro before it snows.

You should have a lot more fun this time.

Those trails on the GSA were way more work that I ever want to do again.

I want to spend some time in Tecate riding single track,

then ride to Mike's!

The last time I was at Mikes there were some undesirable types of people there... That said I could be up for a run once the bike is put back together.

This Sunday, riding Coral Canyon tech stuff,

join us?

I would love to but:

- The DRZ is dead (Part out coming soon)

- The WR450 is on the east coast (hazards of not having a return plan for the TAT)

- The GSA would not be the bike to play in CC at the pace you want to carry.

Next time.

Guest Crusty

Sounds like the fun will begin, as soon as your bike is done.coolio.gif