Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Tecate Hare Scrambles 3DEC2011

Just installed the clutch nyah nyah nyah.

Yes, I know it is a bad idea, my pondering was rhetorical only. Unfortunately, if I waited for a good time, it would likely stay in the box forever.

If I go, I will try to meet up with you. My wife's blood pressure will be greatly reduced if she thinks I am in a group. That is darn early in the morning, but....

Plus, after I got it installed, Rekluse talks about a break-in procedure. Doh. I have to figure out how to do that between now and Sat noon.

I am way ahead of normal. I am not trying to do all this Friday night.

Also- will be racing 40+, but not 40B.

I am very happy to be 95% ready to go after last nights bike tweaking, yes early is good. Keep tabs for Sat morn, its early but we want time to arrive and help our 0900 racers with their event. Plus there will be a test loop, usually 1 mile or so long just get the butterflys out and for final testing and body warm up..

I'm going to miss this one

sorry to hear that Bill, thought you defend your great finish at last years enduro! See ya on the trail, Rob

that stuff is Mexico mud not Welsh mud.......see you in the AM!!

Was an epic event. Matt got relieved of $20 on way through Tecate by local police but made up for it with a great ride to 2nd in 40A class. Rob and myself rode much of the 2nd 27 mile lap together then it started snowing and I thought I was back in Wales and managed to pull a little gap to win 40B with Rob 2nd. Lots of fun with great trails in perfect condition, nothing too silly although some did struggle and cause a few bottlenecks. For all that couldn't make it you missed another great one.

Congratulations to you and Rob thats a tuff class. Looks like I missed an epic ride, I love it when conditions are "challenging".

Hats off to Dai!!! Great ride, Shakespeare Pub for a pint man!! On Me. Three Sdars 3 podiums, 1P1 2 P2s in class. Matt railed in the very tuff 40A class. the course was tough and challenging the weather cool to cold, ground was moist to wet. It was a perfect day!! (except for one of 40A crew who went home in an arm cast). Bill it was very very good, this one was one of the best ones ever.

The mototally results system is great, glad Los Ancianos went with it, maybe next year they will also use the online signup option.

Rob, looks like we both only just made the first lap before the 2hr cutoff, would have been a real shame to have missed doing the 2nd lap like Sasso, 36th and 38th overall so in top half of the field after starting from the back in the slowest class is decent result. And yes have to meet up in Shakepeare pub when I get back from Wales for a celebration pint.

The mototally results system is great, glad Los Ancianos went with it, maybe next year they will also use the online signup option.

Rob, looks like we both only just made the first lap before the 2hr cutoff, would have been a real shame to have missed doing the 2nd lap like Sasso, 36th and 38th overall so in top half of the field after starting from the back in the slowest class is decent result. And yes have to meet up in Shakepeare pub when I get back from Wales for a celebration pint.

We screwed up(our camping crew and following the group, without thinking tactically me as well) .....not thinking, our pit was at the end of the loop not past the start finish at the beginning of the loop, we needed to be along where you were, and all the main teams. Even when I hit the line before L2 they asked me if I wanted to continue, I was dumbfounded and basically yelled yes and just kept going as I saw you jumping back onto the course. Sasso may have beat the cutoff, as it was he stopped to fuel and drink and missed by almost nothing. He is none too happy about it....

I am really proud of us!! Good on ya we did great, my start is what kept me in the lead until my L1 brake pedal lost time issue and also an L2 chain derail that cost me my good start cushion. You and Thomas both had faster lap times so you just ate into my holeshot cushion and prevailed! The snow also played with my head.....I saw you in front of me with snow coming down and on the trail and said S&%T these are Dai's home advantage conditions!!!fun stuff man,great times, cya soon "Old Man"!!!

Heres my ride report from the Husky community site Cafe Husky.

thanks man, and fellow cafe husky crew. I got my first holeshot of my life off the 40+B line. gapped the field but caught the 30Bs in a tight single track conga line (no one would move aside I came close to being barbanging a-hole)and could not get through them for a while, but I still extended my lead to probably 15mins near the 3/4 of the 27 mile lap, then in a very ugly rock section I nailed my brake pedal and folded it (deja vu) under the clutch cover (thank you 7602 for that "unbreakable" billet cover that saved me again!!), it was locked up. I had to stop and use valuable time @10 mins and energy and branches to lever the thing out enough to get through the section and into the final more open stuff back to the pits. I came in still leading and the guys used an adjustable wrench to pull the pedal out enough for the final loop, more lost time,and positions, topped the tank and fuel me too and took off just as my friend and fellow gentleman racer Dai Jones '12 300KTM (from Wales) beat me back onto the course from his pit. I knew it was me and him 1-2 so a test of wills set in as I keyed off him thinking I will shadow then pounce near the finish. But it was Daves day as the snow was whitening the higher elevations and he gapped me through the down hill rock sections. Then I popped my chain off a rock but got it back on quickly, that hurt my drive. I could still hear Dai smooth and powering ahead. I cleaned the last very ugly rock sections and got the second wind into the final few more open miles and really stepped outside my safe zone and really hammered hard but never could get back on Dai. Hat's off to Dai and his smooth sailing well earned victory!! I am completly stoked at the ugliness that we did on this one, the hard sections were built from the clubs premiere trials guy. More to come. ANother finish for the TXC450!!! and my old arse!! P2Rob

Heh, well, it would be nice if BS tickets in the US could be handled that cheaply and easily.

Another great ride, I have been lucky with the events I have done this year. I am rather ashamed that this is my first time to Tecate, it was on my to-do list when I lived in NorCal and now I live just a couple of hours away.

For those interested, the Rekluse is pretty much magical. It grants clutch skills that do not really exist. On a course where panic braking was a regular occurrence, it was nice to never stall. My average speed for the race worked out to 17mph, and I ended up riding the second lap way harder than I really wanted to.

Heh, well, it would be nice if BS tickets in the US could be handled that cheaply and easily.

Another great ride, I have been lucky with the events I have done this year. I am rather ashamed that this is my first time to Tecate, it was on my to-do list when I lived in NorCal and now I live just a couple of hours away.

For those interested, the Rekluse is pretty much magical. It grants clutch skills that do not really exist. On a course where panic braking was a regular occurrence, it was nice to never stall. My average speed for the race worked out to 17mph, and I ended up riding the second lap way harder than I really wanted to.

Matt glad you came down, you picked one of the all time best THS to make your Tecate debut (and man you showed well in your result!good on ya man).

You guys are really starting to sway my thoughts with your thoughts on the latest Rekluse set-ups as well as seeing lots of top level pros using the new anti stall system. I still want full manual clutch ability to feed my own choice of power in the rough the sections.

remember when standard trail speed for enduros was most always a 24mph base........I think your A rider 17mph serves to show our SDAR audience how tight and tech the overall HS course was (it was sooo good!!)and more like a North Eastern Nat enduro.(I will check my B rider average speed........later and post)

over the entire race my average based on 2x27miles was 14.2 mph, based on the L1 only it was 13.6mph so a little faster on L2 brought up the average. Epic is the word for this one!

Still hoping for H cam video and more photos of the PM loop sporty sections!!! If anyone spots any on vimeo or youtube please post it. I really want to relive that loop.

the awards are worth the wait!!! very nice from LAMC. Thank you Los Ancianos!! (its on again in Dec 2012!!)

IMG_0431.jpg