XTSTEVE

Desert to the Mountains Ride, Sat. 5-12-2007

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to put together a ride from Yucca Valley to Big Bear up the back side of the mountain. The overall route is approx. 65 miles, 20 road 45 dirt. The ride starts in the city of Yucca Valley. It rolls up through Pioneer Town, an old western movie set, then goes dirt up the mountain (Burnes Cyn. Nf-2n02) to the Baldwin Lake. In the middle of the mountain (and ride) there are some old gold mines and one creek crossing.

After we get to Baldwin Lake, follow the road in the Big Bear city for lunch. After lunch we either do some trails on the back side of the lake or head back on the reverse route. The main ride is easy (like Palomar Mtn.) but alot of fun and some great picture taking.

Anyone interested?

XTSTEVE

Steve,

I have a friend who is an absolute newbie to dual sporting, he has a KLR650. Is the trail portion of this easy? I am trying to get him off-road but he is nervous about anything much more than a gravel road. He has been street riding for quite a few years so he is a competent motorcyclist, just needs the off-road experience.

Tom

Uhmmm.... B) sounds like fun!! I like the Big Bear area... I may have to haul my bike over there... I'll think about it and let you know for sure in the coming days... B)

Steve,

I have a friend who is an absolute newbie to dual sporting, he has a KLR650. Is the trail portion of this easy? I am trying to get him off-road but he is nervous about anything much more than a gravel road. He has been street riding for quite a few years so he is a competent motorcyclist, just needs the off-road experience.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you.

The ride is a 4X4 road and for the most part is easy. There are a few sand washes and a couple of semi-rocky sections but nothing bad. Your friend and hopefully you too should have a blast.

Talk to you soon.

XTSTEVE

Where would the rendezvous spot be? What time? How long on the venture?

Where would the rendezvous spot be? What time? How long on the venture?

The pickup point will be Deer Springs Road Park & Ride off the I 15. @ 8:00-8:15 am. Travel time to Yucca is approx. 1:30 to 1:45 mins. Time up and down mtn. is apprx. 2 hours each way and 1 hour for lunch in Big Bear. It's an all day deal.

XTSTEVE

Meeting at Deer Springs, then trucking out and staging in Yucca. At this point I am in.

I would like to go, but I don't have a way to tow my bike there, and I don't think my rear could take that much of a ride :( . Anybody have room for another bike? I don't have any tow straps or anything, it would all be on whoever has the room for me. No biggie if I can't go. I went up the road a few years ago in my Jeep, but it would be more fun on a bike.

I would like to go, but I don't have a way to tow my bike there, and I don't think my rear could take that much of a ride :rtfm: . Anybody have room for another bike? I don't have any tow straps or anything, it would all be on whoever has the room for me. No biggie if I can't go. I went up the road a few years ago in my Jeep, but it would be more fun on a bike.

Hi XplorinTJ,

I would take you but I'm already loaded with two bikes. Let everyone know where you can be picked up from and hopefully someone will be able to make it happen.

XTSTEVE

FYI.. there is a decent sized dual sport camping wekeend / get together planned for the weekend of may 18th up in big bear if anyone is interested. The plan is to camp at Hanna Flat Campground thurs / Fri / Sat and do some riding around the area all weekend.

Here is the posting where it's all coming together.... Big Bear Shindig

I would like to go, but I don't have a way to tow my bike there, and I don't think my rear could take that much of a ride :rtfm: . Anybody have room for another bike? I don't have any tow straps or anything, it would all be on whoever has the room for me. No biggie if I can't go. I went up the road a few years ago in my Jeep, but it would be more fun on a bike.

I have a big truck that can fit another bike, but I do not have a ramp and steps to get the bike in it. I usually just use my Joehauler. Where are you located?

I have a big truck that can fit another bike, but I do not have a ramp and steps to get the bike in it. I usually just use my Joehauler. Where are you located?

I carry two 2 X 12's with ramp tips on the ends similiar to the ones pictured in the link below:

Ramp Kit

I walk up one and roll the bike up the other......(no hassling with a step if you use two ramps.....necessary when transporting my road bike).......The difference is my ramp tips have a steel loop built into the mounting hardware on the underside so you can secure the ramp to your tailgate with a tie down strap.......I bought my ramp tips from Dennis Kirk years ago but apparently they don't carry them anymore :rtfm: ......the ones above would work fine, just make sure you secure it to your tailgate somehow so it doesn't run away from you or your bike while your using it. :o

Thanks Crawdaddy. I like the ramp tips and adding the rubber mats for the non slipage factor. If you add a eye wood screw in the bottom, it wood act like a tie down.

Tj I called to see if I could have the kit express mailed, but they said they could not get it here until monday! I then called local to see what was available, and those type of kits had to be ordered. If you want to buy ramps NChouse of motorcycles said he would give you a deal. For the two ramp set up(not wood) will get pricey. Almost better off buying the two bike joe hauler(MMMHHH)! Time to call back. I called back and they were $800.00 and only carried 700 lbs. No deal!

I carry two 2 X 12's with ramp tips on the ends similiar to the ones pictured in the link below:

Ramp Kit

I walk up one and roll the bike up the other......(no hassling with a step if you use two ramps.....necessary when transporting my road bike).......The difference is my ramp tips have a steel loop built into the mounting hardware on the underside so you can secure the ramp to your tailgate with a tie down strap.......I bought my ramp tips from Dennis Kirk years ago but apparently they don't carry them anymore :rtfm: ......the ones above would work fine, just make sure you secure it to your tailgate somehow so it doesn't run away from you or your bike while your using it. :o

I bought mine at home depot... and they have the wood, too...

Ramp Kit

I bought mine at home depot... and they have the wood, too...

im getting married at 4pm think i can be back to oceanside in time

im getting married at 4pm think i can be back to oceanside in time

Question is do you really want to make it back on time? :rtfm: :o

I will go to home depot tomorrow to see if they have anything.

It is going to be hot, and we will be out in the middle of the day. What do you guys think about leaving earlier?

Hey... I've got about 90% of my Saturday kitchen pass worked out. This ride sounds like a blast!!! If you guys don't mind another rider, I'd love to check out that side of the mountain!!! I've ridden all over the silverwood side (green sticker trails with my son), but a nice scenic jeep trail sounds like fun on a warm Saturday!!! :o

I'm in San Marcos and have a pickup that will haul two bikes. I bet we can get TJ's KLR up the ramp and into the bed (if he does all the pushing).

It is going to be hot, and we will be out in the middle of the day. What do you guys think about leaving earlier?

Yucca Valley forecast Highs in the mid 80's throughout the weekend. Lows in the 50's.

Big Bear City Highs around 70 and lows in the 40s.

Should be a great ride, wish I could join in.

Jon

I have always wanted to ride up into Big Bear. I am in Murrieta, and have room in the truck for another bike. I also have a ramp, so if anyone still needs a ride, PM me and we can make arrangements. I will head directly to the Yucca Valley meeting point indicated on your map.

Thanks for putting this together. I haven't ridden with the group since the 06 Dash which was great, looking forward to it.

Hey TJ, you in Fallbrook? I was born in Fallbrook... if you still need a ride, drop me a note.

Thanks, and see you on Sat

-Doug

Encinitas home depot does not have ramp kits. Search continues.

Might try Harbor freight, Got one there last year for $40.00 Wide and heavy duty enough for a large street bike.

Encinitas home depot does not have ramp kits. Search continues.

Might try Harbor freight, Got one there last year for $40.00 Wide and heavy duty enough for a large street bike.

I have seen them at cycle gear on nordahl & 78, also westside cycles on centercity & 5th in escondido,with these gas prices i would call ahead,