davesurf

Roads and trails for a noob

Dirt noob here,,,,,,,getting bored with pavement so I put some K60 tires on my 1200GS. Any suggestions on some simple fire roads I can get my boots dirty. I know of and been on Boulder Creek and Black canyon, which I plan on hitting on a regular basis. I'm also curious about Nate Harris Grade up Palomar? I can't ride on weekends like normal folks so I ride Wed & Thur. Recommendations on some fire roads for a noob?

Nate Harrison is a good one, and probably has enough traffic I'd ride it solo. Nice views, and if you choose to ride pavement down, weekdays are far less crazy.

Hey there, north county rider here, I've been wanting to ride Nate Harrison grade for a while, and I work nights so I have a lot of free time to ride durring the week. Let me know when you want to go. I don't ride a big bike but would enjoy riding with whoever on whatever. I know there are a couple of other riders who might go along if we plan it right. Hopefully we can spark the interest of some of the vets around here to show us around.

Hey there, north county rider here, I've been wanting to ride Nate Harrison grade for a while, and I work nights so I have a lot of free time to ride durring the week. Let me know when you want to go. I don't ride a big bike but would enjoy riding with whoever on whatever. I know there are a couple of other riders who might go along if we plan it right. Hopefully we can spark the interest of some of the vets around here to show us around.

Sounds good to me, I'll probably hit Boulder Creek and Black Canyon this week (Wed. or Thur.), just to get a feel for the bike and build my confidence. Most likely hit Nate Harrison grade next week.

Once the weather cools down I'd like to do Lost Valley Rd. out past Warner Springs, did that once with a buddy right after I got the BMW, for a noob that was rough, lots of rocks, was running cast wheels with street tires. I dropped the bike once, more like a stop and forgot to put my feet down kinda drop. There are a few other roads I've heard about and have looked them up on maps, they look simple enough, just gotta build the confidence and experience.

I could be talked into a ride up Nate Harrison next week sometime. It's a pretty easy dirt road for almost any bike and rider.

Chris

I'm down for whatever. I live in san marcos. Let me know what time wed or thurs and I'll join you. I don't know either of those roads.

Right now Wednesday looks good for me. I'll post up again Monday night to firm up when and where to meet. What will you be riding?

Chris

I ride a 94 xr600. It's pretty beat, needs a top end pretty bad. I'm saving my bucks. It still does the job just has trouble idiling. Its a little high geared (15/48) for anything to technical. On a 1 to 5 scale 5 being an expert, I would give myself a solid 2 quickly moving to a 3. I did a lot of trail riding on an XR200 growing up out at Otay. I've been riding my 600 on the street daily for the last year and a half, and riding my three wheeler at Ocotillio Wells around 8 times a year for the past two years. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with some dirt close to home.

Otay mountain in south San Diego County. Great for clear days. If you want tracks PM.

Andrew

I don't have a gps yet. :-( Otay has changed so much since I have ridden there, I would want to go with someone who has spent enough time down there to know the ins and outs, dealing with the BP and such. Since I now live in north county, I'm looking for stuff up here. Post up a ride on otay mountain sometime and I'll try to make it for sure.

Wednesday (14th) I'm going to ride Boulder Creek (Julian) and Black canyon (Ramona) meet at Descanso jct cafe on Hwy 79 0930hours. keeping it simple

Nate Harrison Grade on Thursday (15th). Recommendations for a meet up place? 0930ish. I'm coming from the south bay.

Wednesday (14th) I'm going to ride Boulder Creek (Julian) and Black canyon (Ramona) meet at Descanso jct cafe on Hwy 79 0930hours. keeping it simple

Nate Harrison Grade on Thursday (15th). Recommendations for a meet up place? 0930ish. I'm coming from the south bay.

Sounds good. On Thursday we can meet at park and ride at el norte exit of 15. Then up lake wolford to valley center to the 76.

Sounds good. On Thursday we can meet at park and ride at el norte exit of 15. Then up lake wolford to valley center to the 76.

sounds good, I'll be there.

I'm going to get to the cafe around 8 for a good breakfast, see ya when you get there.

I am IN for this ride. What cafe are you talking about? I can meet at the park and ride or whatever is easier. I'll be riding from San Diego, white bike, matte black mx helmet and most likely red pants. I'm down for whatever. Please post up that you saw my post, I'll check in the morning.

I'm going to get to the cafe around 8 for a good breakfast, see ya when you get there.

I am IN for this ride. What cafe are you talking about? I can meet at the park and ride or whatever is easier. I'll be riding from San Diego, white bike, matte black mx helmet and most likely red pants. I'm down for whatever. Please post up that you saw my post, I'll check in the morning.

Check your messenger.

Hey there. I just joined this group and I'm looking to go on a ride sunday. Looking to see if anyone is up for one. I don't really know any trails and would love to find some that are nearby. I'm in north county (Oceanside). Feel free to call or text me at 760-500-9549. I'll be flying tonight from 4:30 - 6:30 so if you don't reach me then leave a message or call later.

Ryan

Hey there. I just joined this group and I'm looking to go on a ride sunday. Looking to see if anyone is up for one. I don't really know any trails and would love to find some that are nearby. I'm in north county (Oceanside). Feel free to call or text me at 760-500-9549. I'll be flying tonight from 4:30 - 6:30 so if you don't reach me then leave a message or call later.

Ryan

Ryan, welcome.....you should probably start a new thread to see if anyone wants to go riding with you this weekend, I bet some people will join you.

I'll jump in here as well. New member with an R1100GS. I live in Carmel Mountain and ride the trails off of Pamo Road quite frequently, but I'd love a buddy or two to explore with. Message me if you're free for weekday evening rides or weekend rides.

-Blake