Zenosan

John Carter of Mars

Looks like Disney has this new movie version of the Edgar Rice Burroughs classic ready to premier in March 2012. They filmed much of it in Northern Arizona and Souther Utah. I came across them filming on their set outside of Big Water Utah last year while riding with an old riding buddy Steve Scott. I am building a new house in Big Water next to where this was filmed. Look for it to try to become the new version of the Star Wars phenom of the 21st century. At least that's their hope.

I'm skeptical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpVWVLNoQo&feature=related

Can't wait! I read these books as a kid. Great stuff.

Can't wait! I read these books as a kid. Great stuff.

I did also. Hope they didn't mess it up. It has the potential to be a great movie. Looking forward to it also. Don't think you will see me and Steve on motorcycles in any of the battle scenes though.

Just started "A Princess of Mars"

My brother in law is Amped over the coming movie,

I was a big fan of the John Carter series as a kid. I will have to see the movie just because of that.

Just ordered the books for our MrTen. He'll read them on his iPhone/Kindle, which is itself interesting.

Thanks for the tip.

Just ordered the books for our MrTen. He'll read them on his iPhone/Kindle, which is itself interesting.

Thanks for the tip.

I am a few generations removed from the ereader generation Paul. But I would be very surprised if he didn't enjoy the books.

Even though I spend most of my time in front of a computer these days I am still attached to the ambiance of a study lined with shelves of hard copy books. Have to admit, however, that just last week I listened to a reading of Marco Polo's Travels on my 9 hour drive to Page, while my wife has been carying around a hard copy of Nabokov's Lolita the past few weeks. Hard to let go of the feel of a substantial hard copy book.

In case you get the urge to go retro hard copies are still in print.

We are a family that reads voraciously, and I never thought I'd want to give up the feel of a good book, it's pages, the print on the page, especially vintage letterpressed books.

I'm over it.

I like content, and now carry about a dozen books on my phone wherever I go. I don't need a reading light- it can be dark, like at 2 am when I don't want to disturb the Mrs.

And if i finish a book and need another, as long as I have an internet connection (even via cellular) I can have another book is literally seconds.

It takes some aclimation time- for me, it was a single book, and I've not gone back. People have loaned me books, and I'll read the first page or two- if I like the book, I'll get it electronically and continue reading it that way.

Our family now shares a single Amazon accound, so whatever I buy, my wife can read as well as our son. Shortly after the original post, I went to Amazon, located the John Carter books, and sent them to our son's iPhone. Later that day, walking through the zoo, I let hom know he has five books to read, already in his device, ready to go at any time.

LOVE this type of technology.

Speaking of Science Fiction, has Apple developed a Transporter App? You know, the one to transport to Mars.