hoss314

Do you know much about snakes?

My daughter is turning twelve very soon and has been asking for a snake for her birthday. Especially after we found this in the yard the other day...

snake.jpg

Think it was a king snake....I dunno

Anyways....she has been doing LOTS of research on the care and responsibilities of being a snake owner. Decided that she wants a red tail boa.

Any suggestions? Things to look out for? Problems?

I took her to Petco last weekend just to "look around" and they had a really neat looking teal Iguana. The guy said that they were much more tame than the green Iguana's. But, she wants a snake...Iguana's are cool cause you can walk them on a leash, they don't eat mice they are vegetarians.

(I'm a vagitarian :lol:)

Shoot, why go to the pet shop when your yard is full of California King snakes? Free is good. :lol:

I guess a lot of kids go through the reptile and amphibian phase. I had a snake or two when I was a kid, but really liked turtles better.

Snakes are good- they only eat once a week, but their poop dies stink a bit

Boas get pretty big, but so do iguanas...

Get her a snake...we have a corn snake, and it is gentle, and easy to take care of

Do a search for onionnews and the snake ate our baby

Iguana's are cool cause you can walk them on a leash, they don't eat mice they are vegetarians.

(I'm a vagitarian :lol:)

Not sure what is so cool about that. My steak was once a vegetarian. However, I am a vagitarian also!

Rosy boas are prolly the most calm and easy to handle

X2 You beat me to it... I am a huge snake lover.. Red Tail Boas are awsome pets but before you know it they are 10' long. Ball Pythons are cool and dont get very large.

Leave the King Snake alone as they have stink glands in their skin and make you smell and they can withstand a Rattlesnake bite and have been known to kill Rattlesnakes.

x3 ours is great!

rosyandnatesp4.jpg

and they are actually wild around here

rosyz.jpg

rosy2.jpg

We've had a few ball pythons, a gopher snake and a corn snake. Snakes can be prone to respiritory disease so keep an eye on that. They also like to escape and be free in your home for several days and then are hanging out in the kitchen at 11pm when you go to get a drink of water before bed....enough to scare the stuff out of you.

x3 ours is great!

rosyandnatesp4.jpg

and they are actually wild around here

rosyz.jpg

rosy2.jpg

I didn't know that bottom one is a rosy boa!!! We have one in our backyard and I have been wondering what it was! Yippee, now I know. I love snakes!

Mike,

a rosey boa would be a great choice. The 'Wild' California Kings would be better left in your yard to do their business.

That said, we have a California King that visits us on a regular basis. We feed him a few mice and while he is caged up, (usually one or two days) so I can do heavier yard work without the fear of injurying or killing him.

206604472_UTQJP-M.jpg

He has also spent one winter hibernating inside the house somewhere? We never did figure it out.

This year was especially cool. He made one kill and held the mouse with his tail while attacking and killing the a second mouse. Never have I seen this.

Spyder

Drabnor, those pictures are great.

And Iguanas can be very nasty with their tails. It hurts!

Went to the coolest pet store I have ever been to last night. Pet Kingdom in Sports Arena.

They have a lot of snakes, turtles, lizards etc. Looked at the different snakes and I think we may have decided on a South American Boa. The females will be a maximum of 5' long and the males will be a little shorter. Showed her some full grown red tail boas which helped change her mind of that. Crikey mate! Those buggers were huge!

Looked at the ball pythons...they were a thought but found out that they are prone to "caps" in their eyes and can be finiky eaters.

The Boa seemed like the best fit....

So much going on in that store that I didn't take any phone pics....There was a loose coch in the store though :lol:

post-13399-000074800 1310565407_thumb.jp