Must be pretty confusing to be a cop in San Francisco . Chief Heather Fong (on the left), is the first SFPD female, lesbian chief of police. Theresa Sparks (center, a former male), is president of the San Francisco Police Commission, CEO of a multimillion-dollar sex toy retailer, and a transgender woman. Sgt. Stephan Thorne (right, a former female), is the first transgender SFPD police officer. Their Representative in Congress is Nancy Pelosi. ANY QUESTIONS?

confusedinSanFran.jpg

Scary, I used to like a night out in San Fran when I lived in east bay, so many great times but sure some odd folks, seems even worse now, but sure its still a great town, just need to be even more careful it seems, as said only in San Francisco.

This just proves the old saying "you never really know who you're dealing with". :unsure:

Last night at dinner the news was on in the other room. They were reporting on the Casey Anthony story. My 8yr old then ask's me " Why would anyone ever want to kill a 2 yr old?" Wow! Not something I was exposed to as a child.

As much as people want to be young again, I don't envy the problems and confusing nature of the world they are being brought up in. As a parent it gets difficult to explain the world to them.

Last night at dinner the news was on in the other room. They were reporting on the Casey Anthony story. My 8yr old then ask's me " Why would anyone ever want to kill a 2 yr old?" Wow! Not something I was exposed to as a child.

As much as people want to be young again, I don't envy the problems and confusing nature of the world they are being brought up in. As a parent it gets difficult to explain the world to them.

I'm with you on this Mike... the world we grew up in is not the same world my kids are growing up in

The first post... meh... I don't get it, but it impacts me not one iota. But some of the other stuff... WOW... I don't know if the world was the same, and we didn't know it, or if the world has changed AND the internet has made it all so accessible

When I was 10, we stayed out until dark; surfing, riding bikes, hanging out at the mall, etc. My kids rarely are allowed out alone (the 14 year old is... kind of... he can walk or ride to the gym or his dad's neighborhood)... I don't even let the 4 year old in the driveway without me watching. and I live in the sticks

again... the first post... I can only imagine how miserable it must be to KNOW you are the opposite gender than you actually are... or know the opposite sex has no attraction for you. I don't "get it" but I wish the best for everybody in that picture

we have discussions with our kids all the time, and try to de-stigmatize all the gender issues and sexuality issues. It's not easy

I'm with you, Bob. The stuff Laura's daughter (10) comes up with for questions wouldn't have been in my mind at that age. Even the "kids" shows on TV cover topics never discussed a while back. The 1st post, meh, could care less. Just apply the law fairly and do your job. I've never been into "the first" anything. I think it just brings attention to things that divide everyone.

we have discussions with our kids all the time, and try to de-stigmatize all the gender issues and sexuality issues. It's not easy

I don't envy you guys. I am just glad my daugter is 35 yrs old, married and "traditional".

I do, however, deal with it in strange ways. We teach large college Ballroom Dance classes of over 100 students. All students are required to rotate partners. You can imagine what happens when someone doesn't want to dance with another guy crossdressing as a gal, another gal crossing as a guy, a transgender gal trying to do Rumba motion desinged to accentuate the female anotomy, or a transgender guy trying to do movements designed to accentuate the chest and shoulder movements of a male bullfighter. It just doesn't work.

I don't envy you guys. I am just glad my daugter is 35 yrs old, married and "traditional".

I do, however, deal with it in strange ways. We teach large college Ballroom Dance classes of over 100 students. All students are required to rotate partners. You can imagine what happens when someone doesn't want to dance with another guy crossdressing as a gal, another gal crossing as a guy, a transgender gal trying to do Rumba motion desinged to accentuate the female anotomy, or a transgender guy trying to do movements designed to accentuate the chest and shoulder movements of a male bullfighter. It just doesn't work.

I'm laughing out loud

but Zenosan... thee senorita ees hiding a sword

For me that sword is a whimpy administration. I have explained our problem to the Dean and the President of the College. I asked for an administrative policy I could fall back on to back me up. Both of them just smiled and said "Yeah, you have a real problem there".

but Zenosan... thee senorita ees hiding a sword

For me that sword is a whimpy administration. I have explained our problem to the Dean and the President of the College. I asked for an administrative policy I could fall back on to back me up. Both of them just smiled and said "Yeah, you have a real problem there".

why not have them "pick" their alternate partners? If somebody gets left out of being picked, or chooses NOT to dance with somebody, they can watch the others?

There was a big breww ha ha on advrider (in the basement) about a "transgender" guy (dressed as a girl) going in to the girl's restroom, and everybody KNEW it was really a guy.

are we to the point we need non-gender specific restrooms? or 3 options? or 4?

Like I said in my previous post... I would HATE to be sitting her in slacks and a dress shirt, and WISHING I could be in a slinky black dress (mind bleach anyone?) wearing 5" heels. What a terrible frustration that would be...

I would HATE to be sitting here in slacks and a dress shirt, and WISHING I could be in a slinky black dress (mind bleach anyone?) wearing 5" heels. What a terrible frustration that would be...

Gaugh! Stop painting that mental picture! Lalalalal....must not think of Bikeslut in a slinky black dress and 5 inch heels! :bigeyed::laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

why not have them "pick" their alternate partners? If somebody gets left out of being picked, or chooses NOT to dance with somebody, they can watch the others?

There was a big breww ha ha on advrider (in the basement) about a "transgender" guy (dressed as a girl) going in to the girl's restroom, and everybody KNEW it was really a guy.

are we to the point we need non-gender specific restrooms? or 3 options? or 4?

Like I said in my previous post... I would HATE to be sitting her in slacks and a dress shirt, and WISHING I could be in a slinky black dress (mind bleach anyone?) wearing 5" heels. What a terrible frustration that would be...

The big problem for us is that it is illegal for anyone to discriminate who would be an "acceptable" partner to dance with in the class. Ugly, obese, gender, too old or whatever. Hence the policy everyone dances with everyone on a rotation basis.

The big problem for us is that it is illegal for anyone to discriminate who would be an "acceptable" partner to dance with in the class. Ugly, obese, gender, too old or whatever. Hence the policy everyone dances with everyone on a rotation basis.

Just ask the Boy Scouts about it. <_<

do you make girls dance with girls?

Not trying to start an argument, but if I don't want to do the tango with another guy, I would think I would get some support

not that I could dance the tango anyway... I got no riddem...

but it's why I posted the reference to the bathroom scenario (the transgender guy ended up getting jumped by a couple of girls, and kicked, etc., all while being filmed and watched by a number of on-lookers)

If I were to wear a slinky black dress and 5" heels (made you look mimi), should I be allowed to walk in to a female restroom? If so, why should it matter what I am wearing?

I think your administration needs to do some administrating... and I'm not even sure that's a word... but you come to them with a problem, and they say "that's a problem"... well; isn't it YOUR class and YOUR curriculum? Don't YOU make those rules (that everybody HAS to switch partners?) Or is it a SCHOOL decision? Why would the school care who I dance the cha cha with? I don't want to Rhumba with Pancho, dressed as Conchita... I want to Rhumba with my wife... I'll learn the dance, and show my prowess at latin steps with my wife... or my husband (ha.... you pictured me in a black dress, dincha Mimi?)... I don;t want to dance with everybody

Not that I would tell you how to run your class... I can barely run an office with 3 people in it

do you make girls dance with girls?

Not trying to start an argument, but if I don't want to do the tango with another guy, I would think I would get some support

Sorry I didn't make this clearer Bob. No, Girls don't dance with girls and guys do not dance with guys. All the girls rotate through all the guys and vice versa. Traditional Ballroom dancing is an art form that assumes the traditional gender distinctions. Our solution is to have two section numbers. Women sign up as women with Tish and men sign up as men with me. They are commited to learning their gender's role in the dances while in the class. The latin dances are very gender specific. You just got to have the female hips to do what Rumba, Cha Cha etc. require of women. You just got to have the chest and shoulders to do what it requires of males. Think MATADOR for men.

so... If I were to sign up, I "could not" sign up in Tish's class?

What if I wore a skirt and said I am a woman trapped in a man's overweight, flabby body?

What if I didn't wear the skirt but still said I wanted to be in the girls class

(and vice versa)

the roles in latin dances may be very gender specific, but the roles in life seem to get blurred more all the time

and don't tell me the ROLES HAVE to be gender specific

so... If I were to sign up, I "could not" sign up in Tish's class?

What if I wore a skirt and said I am a woman trapped in a man's overweight, flabby body?

What if I didn't wear the skirt but still said I wanted to be in the girls class

(and vice versa)

the roles in latin dances may be very gender specific, but the roles in life seem to get blurred more all the time

and don't tell me the ROLES HAVE to be gender specific

Movie looks hilarious. I will try to rent it in Page.

You are right about society changing and so is social dancing. There are same sex couples dacing Swing, Hutle etc. together all the time at most of the social dance venues we frequent. In fact Tish and I switch leading and following all the time too. Leading and following are very different skills and as teachers we need to know both. I have no problem dancing with another guy. Because for me Ballroom Dancing has nothing to do with romance. It is a sophisticated art form using subtle physical cues for leading and following. In China I had guys ask me to dance often. I've seen plenty of same sex couples that were pretty good. The problem for us is the classroom. Many people assume (wrongly) that all Ballroom Dancing is about romance. Rumba is called the dance of romance for a good reason. But it doesn't need to be. It just doesn't have the same look if it is a same sex couple. Same sex couples are evolving their own version of the art form. Fine with me. I admire great dancing no matter what the form.

You and your wife are welcome to take the class. But it would be a waste your masculinity and your wife's feminity to not learn traditional Ballroom. It's a great art form but it's not the only dance art form around.

My wife would LOVE to take your class :)

I wouldn't :heh:

no offense, because I enjoy watching good dancing... just no interest

and don't get all sappy on me and say I should learn how for my wife... that's just dumb

My wife would LOVE to take your class :)

I wouldn't :heh:

no offense, because I enjoy watching good dancing... just no interest

and don't get all sappy on me and say I should learn how for my wife... that's just dumb

Happy wife, Happy life. I got a new bike telling her I'd take her dancing under the stars.

\cn