It's been a while since I've been to Baja and things down south are starting to heat up. I'm curious to know if anyone

would be interested in one of the following trips before the end of June:

Two days - Tecate to Erendira -or- Mike's Sky Ranch

(or)

Three days - Tecate to Erendira to Mike's

Or any other suggestion someone might have. The goal is to ride Baja.

Guest Crusty

IN.

2 days is best for me.

I am definately in. Prefer 2 days to Mike's, but could make 3 work if need be.

This trips final look (location and dates) will ultimately come down to a group consensus. Right now we're heading in the direction of a two day trip, possibly to Mike's. I'm going to make the assumption that an early Saturday departure and late afternoon Sunday return would be preferable to most.

If you're interested in joining this ride please give your preferences on date & location. Let's let this thread grow a while more and see where it goes before we finalize it.

* 2011 Baja 500 runs June 4 & 5th.

two days is good for me. I prefer, mikes but I dont know yet if I can make it, in june <_< ......

Give it your best shot Javi, it would be great to ride with you again.

It's been a long time!

Interested but been to Mikes way too many times . How about Rancho Coyote ? I have never been.

Guest Crusty

This trips final look (location and dates) will ultimately come down to a group consensus. Right now we're heading in the direction of a two day trip, possibly to Mike's. I'm going to make the assumption that an early Saturday departure and late afternoon Sunday return would be preferable to most.

If you're interested in joining this ride please give your preferences on date & location. Let's let this thread grow a while more and see where it goes before we finalize it.

* 2011 Baja 500 runs June 4 & 5th.

Out

I forgot about the 500, I have to go to that..

This year we can cheer for SDAR rider (Dig Doug) on a Honda 450X #253coolio.gif

I like your thinking Ken. I've been to Rancho El Coyote once and fell in love with the place. However, we only stopped for a beer break and did not stay over night. One problem (as far as a group ride is concerned) is that this ride would probably be a 4 day ride - Tecate to Erendira on day one, then Erendira to El Coyote on day two, and back.

Thoughts?

post-14267-074753100 1306340088_thumb.jp

post-14267-015194700 1306340097_thumb.jp

post-14267-049385900 1306340106_thumb.jp

More than 2 days will be tough. Where is Rancho El Coyote? I have a map that shows you just keep going past Mikes on the same trail. Is that not correct? Do you have to come at it from highway 1?

I think one day to Rancho El Coyote is pretty easy. And it would be a nice change from Mike's. I might be interested as long as it's a fairly small, experienced group.

Covered in Baja

The road leading west from Mike's will take you to El Coyote, but that route is a very tough ride. I know of two groups who took that route in 2010 and it took one group 5 hours and the other 6 hours to complete. The distance from Mike's to Coyote (as the crow flys) is only about 20 miles, so that gives you an idea how tough it is.

The other routes would be Tecate, Uruapan, Santo Tomas, Erendira, El Coyote. There's no question this route is two days. If you tried to make El Coyote in one day you would be well behind the sun and would arrive sometime after dinner. Leaving from the TJ side might allow us to complete the trip in one day, but there would be a lot of pavement on this route unless we staged out of Santo Tomas.

The road leading west from Mike's will take you to El Coyote, but that route is a very tough ride. I know of two groups who took that route in 2010 and it took one group 5 hours and the other 6 hours to complete. The distance from Mike's to Coyote (as the crow flys) is only about 20 miles, so that gives you an idea how tough it is.

The other routes would be Tecate, Uruapan, Santo Tomas, Erendira, El Coyote. There's no question this route is two days. If you tried to make El Coyote in one day you would be well behind the sun and would arrive sometime after dinner. Leaving from the TJ side might allow us to complete the trip in one day, but there would be a lot of pavement on this route unless we staged out of Santo Tomas.

If we are going to hold to two days, my vote is for Mike's. Sounds like the route from Mike's to El Coyote is a killer.

Me and Javi were talking about doing a two night stay at Mike just to take one day to explore that route down the backside to coyote to see if it is really that bad or it has gotten better since the quake/landslide. I'd be interested to find out.

If we are going to hold to two days, my vote is for Mike's. Sounds like the route from Mike's to El Coyote is a killer.

A few of us rode to Alfonsina's in Gonzaga bay in one day. So a trip down and back could be done in two long days. It's a great place on the water with good food, rotten rooms and cold beer.

Covered in Baja

C.I.D. you're a warrior to do Alfonsina's in two days. I think at this point I am leaning towards Mike's because I really enjoy having some time to decompress, B.S. with friends, and drink some beer.

I am leaning towards Mike's because I really enjoy having some time to decompress, B.S. with friends, and drink some beer.

Dang --that Pacifico gives me a headache and makes me green in the morning. :(

No problem Ken. Keep the Pacificos to a minimum and substitute the remainder with... Mike's TEQUILA!!

I'll bring the Excedrin.

Hmmmmm......I don't remember Ken having a problem with this when we were there a few months ago.

Any idea on dates yet? I'm good for anything execpt the weekend of 6/18-19.

Destination: Mike's Sky Ranch

Dates: June 11 & 12 (Sat & Sun)

Route: Tecate to Compadre, at "the ranch" cut east to Laguna Hanson, Rancho Ramona's for fuel. Jamul to Trinidad, front way up to Mike's.

Time: 7:00 a.m. departure from the secured parking lot next to the border. On Sunday we should arrive back at the parking lot sometime late afternoon, most likely between 4:00 & 6:00 p.m.

Reservations: If I can get a count of who's in, I will make a single call for all of us. Please post on this thread and let me know if you're in.

If Javi's day trip to Laguna Hanson gets wings we could possibly ride with him to Laguna then continue on to Mike's.

Should be a lot of fun!

If anyone is interested in the GPS track for this ride send me a PM and I can give it to you in a GPX format. This ride will be 85% dirt, 15% pavement.

I wish we were leaving tomorrow.