pyro

D606 Tire Chunking (Part2)

Well according to the dates on my pictures, it's been 9 days since I replaced my chunked out D606 with a new one. I was on my way out for another adventure this morning, but when I pulled over for a short break guess what I saw? Yep, it happened again. Exact same thing, brand spanking new tire. :angry: I'm glad to have caught it before I got too far out there this time.

2011-05-20114240.jpg

2011-05-20114251.jpg

2011-05-20114342.jpg

2011-05-20114404.jpg

This time the manager at Cycle Gear said he would swap it out for store credit towards another tire. Twice was enough . . I am done with my once trusty Dunlop D606's. He has nothing in stock so I can order whatever I want. Debating over Perelli mt21's, Continental twinduro, or Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara. Is there anything better I should be looking at that you would recommend? Thanks ya'll.

Haven't run them long enough to know just how they will perform in the long run, but so far, I like my IRC Battle Rally tires. Got a pair for my 450 too.

Perhaps you missed my write up on them. ^_^

Check to see if your chain is too short. Looks like the tire is expanding and hitting the swingarm. Make sure you have plenty of clearance between the tire and the front of the swingarm.

Check to see if your chain is too short. Looks like the tire is expanding and hitting the swingarm. Make sure you have plenty of clearance between the tire and the front of the swingarm.

Good call Don.

This is on the new KLR, right? The one with the fancy custom rack on the back? Could your rear suspension be bottoming out and the tire hitting something up top?

Guest Crusty

That's why I switched to the kendas, their dot approved with more knobbies

I tried those, on a 600 mile, 2 day ride.

When I got home only the side knobs were leftblink.gif

Must be a bad batch of tires. 606 as a Baja proven tire.

It's not known for great traction, but durability.coolio.gif

that is too much of a coincidence... there is something else going on here... are you sure the tire isn't hitting something?

I think your into the turbo too much! Maybe a little less whiskey throttle. :coolio:

a lot of us have had KLRs, and a lot of us twist the throttle... but I've never seen that; on two tires

I think Don is right or Doug is right, or they're both right

as he accelerates, the tire is changing shape (think dragster but in KLR form)... it is hitting the swingarm, the rear fender, the subframe... SOMETHING is tearing it up like that

a 606 is a pretty hard tire, and I used to get 800-1000 miles from one on my KLR riding like a total spaz

look at the knobs RIGHT next to the chuncked knobs... it still has the nipples on it

Are you going to be around tonight Troy? I can take a peak before my gig in PB (shameless plug)... I'm not saying I know any more than you do, but it would be weird if that is really just from the road

I wore out 3 606's on my KLX650 without even losing one lug. If its not hitting it must be a bad batch. Uncle Champ is having the same trouble with a 606 right now but its losing outside lugs and has no evidence of hitting. I saw his turbo lights on the handlebars so of course that must be it.

as he accelerates, the tire is changing shape (think dragster but in KLR form)...

A bit of optomistic hyperbole on Bob's part but I think he is right.

Only because I did exactly the same thing with exactly the same results putting a 606 on one of my XL's a few years ago. Lenghtened the chain and everything was fine from then on. (think DRAGSTER but in XL form)... :)

that is too much of a coincidence... there is something else going on here... are you sure the tire isn't hitting something?

Wow. You nailed it Don. Thanks so much amigo! There is plenty of room for the tire when i'm looking at it, but there is an obvious rub mark on the swingarm and the spot below it where the suspension link is. I never would have thought these tires changed shape that much. But with the heavy tire and a tube that weighs in at like 5 lbs, that's a lot of centrifical force. (especially with turbo engaged at full boost).

Looks like i gotta get a new chain. :dead:

Thank's again guys. Wow. Mystery solved.

I had a set of 606's on an XT that the rear chunked off. Wish I had a picture of it because it was very different than yours, Troy. The knobs separated from the carcus of the tire. Carcus and knobs didn't heat up at the same time and the knobs left holes in the carcus when they left. Not pretty!

S

Edit:

Late again as usual....... :unsure:

Glad you found it, Troy. Easy of the Turbo.

Wow. You nailed it Don. Thanks so much amigo! There is plenty of room for the tire when i'm looking at it, but there is an obvious rub mark on the swingarm and the spot below it where the suspension link is. I never would have thought these tires changed shape that much. But with the heavy tire and a tube that weighs in at like 5 lbs, that's a lot of centrifical force. (especially with turbo engaged at full boost).

Sweet - that was some quality troubleshooting online Don!

I hear Cycle Gear sells chains. That way you can apologize to the dude there for badmouthing him!!!! :rolleyes::coolio::torch::ph34r::heh::lol:

(I'm just yanking your chain man!)

Sweet - that was some quality troubleshooting online Don!

I hear Cycle Gear sells chains. That way you can apologize to the dude there for badmouthing him!!!! :rolleyes::coolio::torch::ph34r::heh::lol:

(I'm just yanking your chain man!)

I think we better give Bikeslut a little of the credit too. :coolio:

Delicate sensitivities involved here.

There is plenty of room for the tire when i'm looking at it, but there is an obvious rub mark on the swingarm and the spot below it where the suspension link is. I never would have thought these tires changed shape that much. But with the heavy tire and a tube that weighs in at like 5 lbs, that's a lot of centrifical force. (especially with turbo engaged at full boost).

You're lucky nothing happened to any of the parts on your bike. I knew a guy a while back, who was running a short chain and I told him that I thought his tire might hit his linkage if he bottomed out. He wasn't worried about this and poo poo'd my observation. Then he went to a national competition out of state, landed off a big rock and broke his shock linkage and tore the center row of knobs off his rear tire. A big DNF for him for the event too. He was too embarrassed to tell me about it, but I heard from other people (that he asked not to tell) who were there. :lol:

I accept no credit for solving this, unless my dragster analogy resonated with the rednecks...check the thread Don- you nailed it a long time ago

Glad you got a handle on it Troy...now; the question...do you return the tire, get a new one and two extra links of O ring chain?

I can help with your chain if you need

See, I knew it was the turbo!

See, I knew it was the turbo!

And 108 octane gas :torch: