Sign in to follow this  
Covered in Dust

60 CSx

What is the largest chip I should put in my Garmin? And what difference will it make. Also I have 2 units, my old with a 1 gig chip and the new one came with a 128 Meg chip. If I buy a larger chip could I just switch it back and forth between the 2 units? Also the new unit came with city navigator. I could not get it to work on my Mac so I put it on my windows laptop. I still don't see any maps showing up on the units. When I put the topo maps in the laptop they transferred right onto the units. Am I doing something wrong or just plain dumb? Either answer is acceptable.

Covered in Dumb

What is the largest chip I should put in my Garmin? And what difference will it make. Also I have 2 units, my old with a 1 gig chip and the new one came with a 128 Meg chip. If I buy a larger chip could I just switch it back and forth between the 2 units? Also the new unit came with city navigator. I could not get it to work on my Mac so I put it on my windows laptop. I still don't see any maps showing up on the units. When I put the topo maps in the laptop they transferred right onto the units. Am I doing something wrong or just plain dumb? Either answer is acceptable.

Covered in Dumb

I'd like to know the answer to your first and second question also. I think, but not sure, that each card recognizes where it belongs while the maps are on it. (of course you can erase and then switch and reload maps). Not what you are looking for though.

In MapSource, did you unlock the City Navigator software? I am having troubles with this myself (along with the Blue Screen of death anytime one of the GPSs is hooked up to the computer)

Webbed in frustration...

S

Yes after 3 hours of frustration on my Mac I finally got the city navigator unlocked. But then still had a hard time with the Mac and the Garmin so went to the Windows laptop.

Supposedly, the older units won't suppord the SDHC standard, so a 2GB is the biggest you can use. Some people have said it works with larger (that if you have the latest firmware updates - you can use the new standard), but the limitation you'll run into (espcially when using the topo), is that you're limited to 2025 total map segments on the older units too. The topo uses small map segments (the blocks you select in mapsource to install) and they add up quickly.

You could swap your card back and forth, but unless you've unlocked the maps to both units (the ones that need to be unlocked anyways), you'll only see the maps on the one that you have.

Garmin, Feb 2010

"Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you with this. The largest card that can be used on the 60CSX is the 4 gig card. This limit might increase with future software updates, but for right now it's the 4 gig limit." He also said SDHC is OK.

Unlock codes can be problematic. It has been 6 years, but my records show City Navigator needs an unlock code, Topo does not.

My instructions say : Open Mapsource, press Control-U, select "Add". Paste unlock code in box, select OK.

Or just call Garmin, Wait on Hold, and work through at their instruction.

Also remember, when you load maps to your handset, all previous maps are erased. Soo, On your computer using City Navigator And Topo: Select both mapsets and save to that file name. I.E. click CN, use Map Tools to select maps. Click Topo, use Map Tool to select maps. Save to same file name. Transfer to handset. Topo Maps must have more data as they can take 10 minutes or more to load. The frustrating thing is, that if you have too little memory, the software waits until you run out to abort transfer. 97% complete, Oh sorry, abort!. My downloads improved when I increased from 2G to 4gig memory card. The cost of the card these days is minimal.

Waypoints and tracks can be loaded separate from maps. At the Transfer screen, check just what you need, i.e. Waypoints 7 Tracks. Maps need to be selected for every filename to the best of my knowledge.

Supposedly, the older units won't suppord the SDHC standard, so a 2GB is the biggest you can use. Some people have said it works with larger (that if you have the latest firmware updates - you can use the new standard), but the limitation you'll run into (espcially when using the topo), is that you're limited to 2025 total map segments on the older units too. The topo uses small map segments (the blocks you select in mapsource to install) and they add up quickly.

You could swap your card back and forth, but unless you've unlocked the maps to both units (the ones that need to be unlocked anyways), you'll only see the maps on the one that you have.

As usual, Doug has all the answers :rolleyes:

2gig is plenty......that's all I have in mine......City Nav for entire U.S., Western States for Topo and Roads/Recreation....and I still have ample room for .gpx active track files

"Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you with this. The largest card that can be used on the 60CSX is the 4 gig card. This limit might increase with future software updates, but for right now it's the 4 gig limit." He also said SDHC is OK.

Straight from the horse's mouth! I guess the latest firmware updates allow you to use an SDHC card up to 4GB. By the way, there are programs out there that will combine your topo maps segments (the old topo maps, not the new version - yet) so that you can get more of them inside the 2025 limit of the 60/76 series.

I took Spanish instead of Mandarin Chinese in School, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'm hoping Crawdaddy can just load up my 60csx this weekend so I can smile, say thanks and ride my brains out. Of course I probably will just be trying to keep Chris in sight as I trail his dust cloud.

Ok I unlocked my new City Navigator disk to my new unit. Now it won't let me unlock it to my old unit. Is it only good for one unit. If so this really pisses me off at $80 for the software. Or am I still just to stupid to figure it out.

Cover in ?????????

Ok I unlocked my new City Navigator disk to my new unit. Now it won't let me unlock it to my old unit. Is it only good for one unit. If so this really pisses me off at $80 for the software. Or am I still just to stupid to figure it out.

Cover in ?????????

The old City Navigator versions used to let you unlock to two devices, but I think the new version (NT I think?) is sold with a license to make it unlockable to only one unit. You'll have to read your licence agreement (you know, that thing you clicked "I agree" to without reading) to see what you're entitled to.

Good thing you did it to the new device first!