Sometimes we veteran off roaders need a review and I'm sure there are some newbs out there that may not be aware of what the "Tread Lightly!" message is all about. To help I pulled this off of www.treadlightly.org

What is Tread Lightly!?

Tread Lightly!, Inc. is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to proactively protect recreation access and opportunities in the outdoors through education and stewardship initiatives.

Not only is Tread Lightly! the nation’s signature ethics message for outdoor enthusiasts that use motorized and mechanized vehicles, but Tread Lightly! also offers unique training and restoration programs strategically designed to instill an ethic of responsibility in a wide variety of outdoor enthusiasts and the industries that serve them.

Responsible Off-Highway Motorcycle Use

TRAVEL & RECREATE WITH MINIMUM IMPACT

-Stay on designated routes.

-Travel only in areas open to off-highway motorcycle (OHM) use.

-Avoid running over young trees, shrubs, and grasses-damaging or killing them.

-On slick trails, moderate the throttle and use the clutch to gain maximum traction with minimum tailspin.

-On switchbacks, avoid roosting around the apex of the turn when climbing or brake-sliding during descent, both of which gouge the trail.

-Don’t ride around fallen logs; it is best to move them or ride over them.

-When negotiating any obstacle, stay loose over the bike to allow for sudden direction changes.

-Cross streams only at designated fording points or where the trail crosses the stream.

-Avoid riding in meadows and marshy areas.

-Protect the soundscape by preventing unnecessary noise created by your vehicle.

-Practice minimum impact camping by using established sites, camping 200 feet from water resources and trails and minimizing use of fire.

-Observe proper sanitary waste disposal by burying waste 6-8 inches deep and at least 200 feet from trails, campsites and water resources or pack your waste out.

RESPECT THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS

-Be considerate of others on the road or trail.

-Ride only where permitted.

-Leave gates as you find them. Respect private land.

-Yield the right of way to those passing you or traveling uphill. Yield to mountain bikers, hikers, and horses.

-Keep the noise and dust down.

-Pack out what you pack in.

EDUCATE YOURSELF, PLAN AND PREPARE BEFORE YOU GO

-Obtain a map of your destination and determine which areas are open to OHMs. Make a realistic plan, and stick to it.

-Contact the land manager for area restrictions, closures, and permit requirements.

-If crossing private property, be sure to ask permission from the landowner(s).

-Check the weather forecast.

-Prepare for the unexpected by packing a small backpack full of emergency items.

-Wear a helmet, eye protection, and other safety gear.

-Buddy up with two or three riders. Riding solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown. Designate meeting areas in case of separation.

-Know your limitations. Watch your time, your fuel, and your energy.

-Don’t mix riding with alcohol and/or drugs.

-Understand how to operate your vehicle and its controls.

-A DirtBike School SM class provides a fast-paced, half-day, hands-on training session. Call 1-877- 288-7093 to enroll.

-Make sure your vehicle is mechanically up to task. Be prepared with tools, supplies and spares for trailside repairs.

ALLOW FOR FUTURE USE OF THE OUTDOORS, LEAVE IT BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT

-Carry a trash bag on your vehicle and pick up litter left by others.

-Avoid “spooking” livestock and wildlife you encounter.

-Avoid sensitive habitats, wetlands, steams, and meadows.

-Following a ride, wash your OHM and support vehicle to reduce the spread of noxious weeds.

-Motorized and mechanized vehicles are not allowed in designated Wilderness areas.

DISCOVER THE REWARDS OF RESPONSIBLE RECREATION

-OHM riding provides the opportunity to get away from the rush of everyday life and builds family traditions.

-Careless operation of your OHM can cause damage and may result in closing areas.

-Respect the environment and trail users. By using common sense and common courtesy, what is available today will be here to enjoy tomorrow.

Please email feedback@treadlightly.org for questions or comments about this article.

Good to refresh this info Jon.

As it said, Respect the trails and they will be there tomorrow for us to enjoy.

Admin,

I copy and pasted this from another site but I think this would be a good topic to make a sticky. Perhaps cleaned up for dualsport users but it would be good for lurkers and greenies that come here to see that we stongly promote the tread lightly policy.

To all I posted in another thread today about how other rider groups are really tearing up the lanscape. Riding off the trails and creating bypass routes around difficult hillclimbs. The riding season is in full swing now it's a good time for all of us to refresh on what it means to tread lightly. Every rider can help keep the land open for our use.

Ur right, Slosher, it is. I think the folks on this site think about these things, but some we may cross paths with don't. It's always a good reminder and at least generates an "oh yeah" in my head. Not a difficult feat, but.. :)

Every time I go out, I'm amazed at the amount of junk one could bring back with them. I have nightmares about an anti-sports group rounding up a giant pile of items collected from, say, Superstition after Thanksgiving, and putting a photo of it on their site. Not to mention bringing it with them to the "let's close this place" meeting.

brought back from Ocotillo Wells on Monday... about 50 bottles and cans, TWO front tubes (not counting mine), a busted up cooler and a lid to a large rubbermaid container... I don't know what people are thinking... We also got buzzed within TWENTY FEET of my truck by quads and buggies. In the middle of a 300 foot valley!

Common sense doesn't play in to some people's minds

Ummmm, in our new member info message people get when they sign up, at the top of this forum (Pinned Topic) and on our front page, it says we Support The Tread Lightly Philosophy of Riding.......yes, nice to refresh it for people.

I wonder how much information is on this site that people don't even read......I bet it's a lot more than I expected.

I ask that everyone PLEASE checks out the entire site here at SDAR once in awhile or often even better, since we built this site to provide more than just a place for people to find riding buddies.

Also, go back far into the posts.....you can change the date of posts displayed so you can look further back for topics, ride reports, etc.

I also print it, copy it and put it in every rider's packet for the Desert Dash, as a friendly reminder, as all of us need to be reminded sometimes.

I also print it, copy it and put it in every rider's packet for the Desert Dash, as a friendly reminder, as all of us need to be reminded sometimes.

Toxic trash.

I just got back from my annual family gathering with my brother in the desert at Split Mountain Half Hill Lake bed. Had a great time with my brother and other old Vintage Husky racers but when we woke Monday morning I took my dogs for their morning walk. About 500 yard from our camp someone had deposited 12 5-gallon cans of a pretty foul smelling substance. My nephew who was with us is an LA fireman. I showed it to him and he said they were very toxic chemicals from a meth lab. He called HazMat to pick them up. Someone dumped them during the night. This happened two years ago but not this quantity. Evidently this stuff is pretty nasty. If you encounter a container with strange stuff in it in the desert it is best not to touch it. These were all new Home Depot 5 gallon buckets and I was tempted to take them just for the cool buckets. But my nephew convinced me the chemicals were not worth the risk.

Don

Thanks for pointing that out KTMRad.

I've always felt that the off roading community was wiser and more conscietious than the general public in regards to environmental issues as we spend more time in the environment and often witness the carelessness of others. Having just spent an evening at Qualcomm stadium enjoying the Holiday Bowl with what I would consider the general pubic and seeing the massive amount of trash left behind in every row of seats after the fans have left. I guess I shouldn't be suprised to learn that as more of the general public comes to the desert they would leave it the same way as the other recreational venues they enjoy. I don't think it'll be much longer before Imperial County will end up sending a crew out there to do clean up duties and then we'll have to buy permits and pay camping fees just like around the dunes.

Guest crmyers

You know speaking of trash as I was leaving Ocotillo at Thanksgiving I mentioned to a departing gentleman that leaving his bag of trash in his campfire ring was not the best of ideas. He was quite upset and even more upset when I took his trash home with me. Have you folks found a good way to educate or will these people catch on someday that there is no cleanup crew?

You know speaking of trash as I was leaving Ocotillo at Thanksgiving I mentioned to a departing gentleman that leaving his bag of trash in his campfire ring was not the best of ideas. He was quite upset and even more upset when I took his trash home with me. Have you folks found a good way to educate or will these people catch on someday that there is no cleanup crew?

That's pretty weird that he was upset that you took his trash away. What was he thinking!? If he doesn't like people taking his trash away, maybe he ought to do it himself. :lol::unsure:

These were all new Home Depot 5 gallon buckets and I was tempted to take them just for the cool buckets. But my nephew convinced me the chemicals were not worth the risk.

Don

Whoa, this is good to know since I am a scavenger. Abandoned new buckets in desert = probably bad news.