amgems

MT43 Pressure

Hi,

Just mounted a front and rear MT43. Using two rim locks rear, one in the front. Moose heavy duty tubes in both.

95% dirt. All kinds, dirt, rocks, sand, mud. Pavement, when I have to.

What kind of pressure should I be running?

My first ride I thought I would start at about 12 front, 10 rear.

Waddaya think?

Thanks,

Jim

I think Gil & Jim run 6 in the rear with a Bridgestone tubes which are thicker than the Moose.

I run 8-9 with the Bridgestone tubes.

I'm usually at ~10 up front and ~8 in the back...........I don't bother with rim locks on the WR250R since the motor has about the same torque as a kid's stingray bicycle :lol: .........I do have'em on the KTM 520 only because they were already there......not sure that you really need rimlocks when the tires are stuffed with Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes.....it's like stuffing a tire inside a tire :blink: ........tubes haven't shifted on me in 10K+ miles on the WR250R........just picked up my first flat on that bike a couple of weekends ago in Death Valley - Doesn't matter what tire/tube/rim lock set-up you're using when you roll over a 12 penny nail <_<

...I don't bother with rim locks on the WR250R since the motor has about the same torque as a kid's stingray bicycle

You didn't have rim locks on the 620 either :P

dscn0632.jpg

Running less than 15ish lbs of tire pressure without a rim lock is crazy in my book :)

not sure that you really need rimlocks when the tires are stuffed with Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes.....it's like stuffing a tire inside a tire :blink:

I have pulled the stem out of ultra-heavy duty tubes WITH one rim lock... the MT43 seems to be a softer rubber, and grips the rim better

Play around with the tire pressure; especially on those tires it make a huge difference

Call me lazy, but I run 15lbs front and rear. To my mind 8-10 is fine if someone can guarantee there are zero sharp edged rocks out there. Seems every ride I slam the front at least once, having missed missing that obstacle in the the track. Gotta look down and check if the rim is bent. Not so far. at 15lbs the tread flexes under my boot. What more do I need? Add that 12 miles of pavement to connect back to Pinyon Trailhead, and 15 seems good.

CDy, I took out the 16d insurance, You haven't done that??

Call me lazy, but I run 15lbs front and rear. To my mind 8-10 is fine if someone can guarantee there are zero sharp edged rocks out there. Seems every ride I slam the front at least once, having missed missing that obstacle in the the track. Gotta look down and check if the rim is bent. Not so far. at 15lbs the tread flexes under my boot. What more do I need? Add that 12 miles of pavement to connect back to Pinyon Trailhead, and 15 seems good.

Every MT43 that I have heard of, looses knobs in the center of the tire (rear) running over 10 psi. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

You didn't have rim locks on the 620 either :P

Oh, I'd forgetten about that flat.......that's true......definitely should've had a rim lock on the 620......and it should be noted that the 620 had a full tank of gas when that happened too........MAJOR weight up front......agreed, that was dumb :crazy: ......luckily somebody smarter than me owns that bike now :rolleyes:

Every MT43 that I have heard of, looses knobs in the center of the tire (rear) running over 10 psi. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I saw accelerated wear on mine when I went above 15... it was like a switch was flipped from "wearing very well" to "wearing out"

no loss of knobs but not uncommon for carcass to show ~.5" inch crack lines in the middle of the tread......I even have a few cracks on my rear tires at ~8-10 PSI.....btw, my last one had ~3K miles on it......

My front wears evenly, for a long time; the rear wears the center 75% level at about 2500miles. Rim lock, front and rear, as well as weights.

PS - Does this qualify as a Tire Thread?? party.gif

That is correct. I've had the same issue with my first 2 MT-43's.

Thanks Guys, I'm gonna go for the middle of the road 11 front 10 rear. We'll see how it goes.