Ken S

Riders Down D-38 race 4-9-16

It is an awesome way to live , racing, having social community that gets together and all the competitive trimming.

I've never had a crash in an event or race actually. Good point.

EDIT: knock on wood.

I'm new to this scene so apologies if this is off-base.

In other sports it's common to discuss incidents not only for purposes of grieving/closure/memory/etc. but also for their educational value...for the lack of a better term. That is, what can be learned from this incident? Was a mistake made? Was there an error in gear maintenance/upkeep?

I think you see my point. Not every incident will have a lesson to learn. Sometimes the lesson is that bad sh*t can happen to good people. But if something can be learned which may impact the way I ride tomorrow it's worth discussing.

Thanks for your input guys.

I love the racing scene. Joining a club and making new friends (Scott was the President of our club). Camping out before and after the race. the comradery at the starting line. The sense of accomplishment after finishing no matter what place you come in.

I also enjoy being a worker at the races and giving back to the sport. Volunteers are what makes our sport happen.

I even got my picture in a local magazine last year after a 1st place finish.

I will race again but like Robert said I want to ride events at a slower pace. Enduro, flat track, going to ride a D37 event or 2 in the fall.

Good excuse for me to get another bike (300 2 stroke).

It's the WFO 80 plus mph stuff that kills or cripples us.

I'm down for some d37.

I saw Ken's racing pic at the tapatios in alpine .

Big bear anyone?

Here's a link to a post on the D38 bulletin board with details on Scott's services. Some of you know / knew him and may be interested in attending. Also there is a link to a go fund me page if you just want to help with a small donation to the family of a fallen brother rider.

Safe rides!

http://amad38.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6294&sid=bc18d136e95292c2af5e529fae4676b2

Thanks all I always find a great group of folks here in SDAR logic tends to prevail. Be safe out there and exactly what beniflas said is my mantra about riding the course. also what was mentioned by bluhdoh concerning the discussion for the emotional process along with seeking to understand the crash itself to possibly learn from it is a legit item for sure.

One thing to learn is really have fun but at our level no need to really hang it out too much, stay inside the (your own personal) envelope as much as possible, when you stay inside that edge it gives you more room to get back into shape and gather it all up when something odd/bad/awkward/unusual/crappy etc etc happens.

This stuff needs to remain fun first and foremost.