Goofy Footer

Death Valley Bike Prep

Canon point-and-shoots are known for the lens error problem. It's typically a bit of grit or dust in the lens body. So, NEVER, EVER use a Canon point and shot in a dusty or sandy environment.laugh.gif

Ok, I have about 6 of them, and three actually still work because of issues like this. Most recently, I sent one for repair and it took over FIVE months, 30 emails and 20 phone calls to get it back from the bastards at a texas repair center.

I've heard great things about the D10, but I use aftermarket accessory lenses so I can't use one.

Rumor is one can press down firmly on the front of the extended lens body while powering off the camera to force it to function. I believe I saw Dug doing that this weekend.

I've had dust get into the lens twice on my SD1100s. Both times its been sent to Kurt's Camera Supply on Mission Gorge, $88 the first cleaning and $58 bucks this time. More annoying than the cost of repair is that when it breaks, it breaks when I'm out having fun. I too have used that "trick" to force the camera lens down but the camera quit focusing and stopped working only a few photos later. The D10 is fat compared to the typical powershot but the zoom lens is encased in its fat body and therefore no dust can get in. Retails around $270 OUCH! but hell, I'd pay a lot of money not to have to worry about dust. I'm often the guy laying in the dirt trying to get the "best" angle for my friends jumping their bikes or the guy wading into the stream to get a good picture.

I may take my rebel xti along for scenic shots too, put a medium range lens on and leave it while on the trail.

I think Schwinn and JohnnyAirtime use the Panasonic TS1 or TS2. I've read good things about them but I come from a Canon family...

Thanks bluefin2na for loaning me these tank saddlebags. They are HUGE and will hold a lot of my gear. I got some HD zip ties and should be able to get them off my knees while riding.

Another example of awesome help from SDAR especially considering I'd never even met him before, thats pretty cool.

post-14322-089992400 1300859296_thumb.jp

Your welcome, have fun.. take pictures, and be sure to stop at BIKINIS outside BEATTY NV. take photos there too

Thanks bluefin2na for loaning me these tank saddlebags. They are HUGE and will hold a lot of my gear. I got some HD zip ties and should be able to get them off my knees while riding.

Another example of awesome help from SDAR especially considering I'd never even met him before, thats pretty cool.

post-14322-089992400 1300859296_thumb.jp

You should make sure the bags aren't going to block airflow out the back side of the radiators. It might not be a problem, but it might be an issue for you.

I think Schwinn and JohnnyAirtime use the Panasonic TS1 or TS2. I've read good things about them but I come from a Canon family...

I actually have been using the Olympus Stylus 850 SW for a few years.

... can't stand it's low light picture, but it's outstanding everywhere else I need it to be.

I connect it to my vest via a SCUBA Dive (coily) lanyard and jam it in an upper pocket. When it comes time to ride and snap pictures... works great. When you get in a bind and need to drop the camera... do so, and it won't go too far. When you can, grab it... stuff it back into pocket. ;)

I actually have been using the Olympus Stylus 850 SW for a few years.

... can't stand it's low light picture, but it's outstanding everywhere else I need it to be.

I connect it to my vest via a SCUBA Dive (coily) lanyard and jam it in an upper pocket. When it comes time to ride and snap pictures... works great. When you get in a bind and need to drop the camera... do so, and it won't go too far. When you can, grab it... stuff it back into pocket. ;)

I bought the Canon D10. Its bulky and hard to get used to. I need one of those scuba lanyards (and a front pocket!) cause its waay to hard trying to pull it outta my backpack while riding... Thanks for the tip!

Every photo in my ride report except 3 came from the Canon D10. On some action photos I get blur which is very frustrating but I guess its the price you have to pay with a waterproof camera until tech advances. Check em out!

Death Valley SDAR Ride Report