tntmo

Carpal tunnel anyone?

About two weeks ago I woke up and my left index finger felt numb. I figured I slept on my hand or something like that and didn't worry about it until later in the day when it was still numb. After about a week of my finger being numb most of the time I went to see the doc. Looks like I may have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Anyone else experience this? Recommendations? I looked up some stretching exercises but they don't seem to help much. I have a brace (that I hate to wear) that I'm supposed to use for a few weeks and then go get checked again. Fun.

About two weeks ago I woke up and my left index finger felt numb. I figured I slept on my hand or something like that and didn't worry about it until later in the day when it was still numb. After about a week of my finger being numb most of the time I went to see the doc. Looks like I may have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Anyone else experience this? Recommendations? I looked up some stretching exercises but they don't seem to help much. I have a brace (that I hate to wear) that I'm supposed to use for a few weeks and then go get checked again. Fun.

I had to wear a wrist brace on my throttle hand because of carpal brought on by those 200+ mile days riding a few times. It is painful, when I moved my wrist it creaked like a hundred year old door that needed a good shot of oil on the pins. Inflamation of tendons sucks, quite painful.

Try Limiting your use of it and alternate heat and ice compresses to it and it should soften up a bit. I hate to take meds myself but Motrin worked. The stuff takes a bit to build up in your system but it does a good job of bringing the swelling down and takes the edge off of the soreness and stiffness.

Good luck, hope it feels better

My left thumb and index fingers have been numb and tingling since the dash! This could be from a crash in which I landed on my shoulder. Both hands where numb at the dash after riding. I have now put some Rox Anti vibration risers to help this situation in the future.

I concur with the chief.

As for the stretching and other stuff, look at it like this. It took years of abuse and neglect for your wrist to end up like it is, you can't expect it to get better in two weeks. It's going to take time and wrist injuries take a lot of time. I sprained my wrist loading a box on my airplane in January. After two months of ice, rest, motrin, and stretching, it is still a little sore at times. Perseverence and staying away from the computer all help to relieve the pain.

Vibrations from the bike can lead to numbness too. I've been numb in the hands and ass after long rides. Although I think they have different causes.

Good luck and stay with the rehab, it'll help.

Jon

A couple of months ago Carguy took me on the whoop ride from hell. I have always had good wrists, but after that my right wrist was giving me pain whenever lifting anything over about 10 lbs. I wore a brace for a couple of weeks and it helped, but was difficult to ride with. I started taping it when I have to do heavy work, and when I ride. After the desert dash the left one started the same thing, so now I tape them both. I think most of the problem stems from my "doof-ass" riding style in the whoops. I don't know if is from pushing pulling or what, but the whoops tears them up. I have rolls of tape at home, work, truck, and riding pack. They still do some crunching and poping, but are much better and I can live with shaving and taping my wrists. Ken

Found this old thread in search, I have carpal tunnel affecting both hands, noticed it more after started riding again but realize now that I have had it quite a while waking up at night with numb fingers. Need to go see doc for official tests at some time but was wondering if anyone has had surgery locally and has any recommendations, good or bad?

d-i have had to have carpal tunnel redution surgery twice on my left wrsit now. both of them are from a bad injury not from computer typing or repetative use things.

the surgery sucks...try the stretching exercises, if you are ok with medications, motrin does help, even the over the counter stuff.

heat & ice alternating helps.

if you need the surgery i had a great surgeroen on my last operation...Dr. David Kupfer. he is a plastic surgeon that specializes in hand reconstruction. he was awesome.

if you go to see him tell him kelly mcculley recommended him to you...he will shake his head cause i i caused him grief by cutting off my cast early and stuff. but he liked me, and he will treat you great.

im just sick of surgery, scar tissue build up is really bad and causes alot of tension and constriction of the skin and sub-q tissue.

but i have had 4 surgeries on my left wrist since 11/28/2008....so i may be biased ;)

he was the best of all my surgeons

Interesting thread. Since mid-January I've had pain, swelling and stiffness in both hands and wrists. My doctors have said they believe it's an arthritic reaction to a virus.

To those that have posted above, do any of you have, or did you have, stiffness in your fingers? When I wake up I can hardly bend my fingers. it takes about five minutes of stretching and working them. Even now at 9:30 I can't quite make a fist with my finers and when I make a fist I cannot bend my wrists much past 45*

Dound familiar to anyone?

yes that "dounds" familiar :lol:

but yes i have alot of stiffness and soreness in my hands and fingers because of arthritis.

i dont know about the virus causing the arthritis, but if you are anywhere near my age it could just BE arthritis....sorry to be the bearer of bad near news......

what has helped me over the years is to grip the bike with your thighs and use your legs hips and thighs to hang on and loosen your grip with your hands on the bars... a light grip will keep your hands from cramping up and getting arm pump.

to bad we cant figure out how to get ear, nose, and neck hair to grow on our head. and the stiffness in our joints to be in places where we want stiffness, and the limpness in parts we dont want it to be in our joints.

i guess we never actually LOOSE anything...it just moves to places we dont want it.... ;)