dirt dame

The trials and tribulations of buying a "make run"

On both of those carbs, the vents would smash into the airbox.

There's a guy on E-bay that has something very close. I sent him some questions about the carb...same body, but pull choke and needs the venting modified. I might buy his if nothing else comes up.

Dang....there was the right one for sale a couple of weeks ago for 30 bucks. :dead:

I e-mailed my KDX pal (and offroad hero :wub: ), Jeff Fredette last night and he e-mailed back that he was just rushing off to an event, but was sure that he had a carb for my bike in the carb box and to call him on Monday. So, I am pretty sure I have something lined up now. ^_^

Soooo....Monday I finally got Jeff on the phone up at Fredette Racing (and he finally for once didn't ask "Is this Amy?" :rolleyes: ) so we could discuss carburetors. I could hear the clunk of metal in a wooden box as he pawed through the carb box while we chatted. He told me that he had on occasion run across the same problem with a bike. No matter what you try, the machine won't run properly. He thought that possibly a passageway in the carb body was overdrilled during production. At any rate, he found the right carburetor in the box and got it shipped off to me. Should be here before the weekend. :)

Meanwhile, I decided to clean up and repaint the original exhaust that came with the bike.

102_0065.jpg

Big thanks to Hoss314 for taking the chamber and muffler (boat anchor) in for a bit of sandblasting. The pipe looks oh so much better without a layer of rust, oily drool and baked on dirt. :thumbsup_anim:

102_0105.jpg

It looks almost too nice to cover in paint, but soon will be coated with black or gray. This damp cold weather is not conducive to getting a good paint layer put on though.

:angry2: AAAUUUURRGHHHH! Another setback! <_< The carb that was just shipped to me is missing the brass air restrictor for the pilot circuit. Now I have to wait even longer to get ahold of a working carb. I'm so disappointed that Mr. KDX didn't spot that when he was stripping that carb for shipment. I don't know...maybe it disappeared on my end, but i don't know how. Just seems to be my luck, lately. <_<

You can see the brass piece in the carb on the left and how it is missing on the carb body on the right.

102_0107.jpg

Setbacks....setbacks. :axehead:

? Perhaps you could insert either an easy-out or a screw into the brass, heat the body up, twist & pull. It may come out with minimal damage. Dont know but wouldnt hurt to try. Especially if you can get a super deal on the carb you just got.

? Perhaps you could insert either an easy-out or a screw into the brass, heat the body up, twist & pull. It may come out with minimal damage. Dont know but wouldnt hurt to try. Especially if you can get a super deal on the carb you just got.

It probably would damage the piece since it is press fit and brass is soft. The passage has to be the right diameter for sure. It would almost be better for me to try to find a piece of brass with the proper outside diameter, then drill it to the right inside diameter. I might have to get a KX125 carb and rejet it.

:dead: So damn bored and inactive....waiting on a carb replacement. and painted the exhaust. Couldn't decide between grey or black, so I picked both.

102_0114.jpg

:dead: So damn bored and inactive....waiting on a carb replacement. and painted the exhaust.

Looks good! :coolio:

Finally after more than two months of fussing around rebuilding almost everything on the bike, and spending a great amount of that time looking for carburetion parts (made out of unobtainium) after the engine overhaul was a wrap...I got my restoration project bike finished. Well, it still needs a few things, but all the major stuff has been restored.

I never did find the exact KDX200 VM34 Mikuni for the bike, but instead found an almost identical carb off of a 1985 KX125.

102_0129.jpg

All I needed was the R2 needle jet to complete the jetting. There were no more OEM R2s left, so I decided to order a Mikuni needle jet that was supposed to fit all VM style carbs from 32 mm to 38 mm. The jet looked nothing like the one that went in my VM carburetor. <_< Next up, I ordered a R2 needle jet for a TM series carb, completely different construction from my carb, but MOST of the needle jet dimensions were right. The air dam was way too long, so I cut it down to 2 mm and installed it and all the other jetting into the "new" carb.

I took a "before" picture, but it was out of focus, so there is only the "after" picture of the jets. Still, you can see here how corroded and oxidized the old needle jet is.

102_0142.jpg

I slapped the carburetor together and popped it onto the bike. The machine fired up in short order and was soon purring along just like the Doctor ordered. :party: It was a beautiful, warm afternoon, so I rode the bike up and down the easement a few times and put it through all six gears.

The airbox needed to be reassembled and installed next. The original air cleaner boot was pretty well shot, and though I gooped it up with some RTV, I found and bought another boot that was at least less shot and fixed it up.

Original boot that came with the bike. Too many cracks!

102_0115.jpg

The new one looks good....

102_0134.jpg

until I gave it a little squeeze. :ph34r:

102_0135.jpg

RTV looked rough.... <_<

102_0128.jpg

So I tried some of this stuff. B)

102_0133.jpg

It made a much nicer, smoother finish that blended in with the original material well. We'll have to see how it holds up.

102_0138.jpg

Old stuff....

102_0123.jpg

Some new stuff....

102_0126.jpg

102_0125.jpg

102_0127.jpg

Oh and fixed the bent rim....

102_0124.jpg

as much as possible, any way....and added a set of new Shinko Holeshot HT tires.

IMG_0249.jpg

Time to introduce....

Fentley The KDX. :king:

102_0151.jpg

102_0147.jpg

102_0143.jpg

102_0144.jpg

102_0145.jpg

No show bike, but a reliable fun runner with some personality. :coolio:

Good job. Oh what a feeling of accomplishment. Its fun to find something not running, thats worth fixing & that 1st sputter of life WOW ! It becomes part of you. How about an Easy Rider helmet to go with it ? I wanted one of those soooo bad when they came out.

Good job. Oh what a feeling of accomplishment. Its fun to find something not running, thats worth fixing & that 1st sputter of life WOW ! It becomes part of you. How about an Easy Rider helmet to go with it ? I wanted one of those soooo bad when they came out.

I got the bike to sputter to life before any work was done to it, but it just kept sputtering. :lol: As for helmets, I like my Bell 500 and my trials helmet. :coolio:

Because I have come into possession of a small but helpful financial windfall, Fentley's complete restoration can soon be completed. I had depleted all my funds for restoration (since he was in worse shape than I originally suspected) and ended up putting the bike back on the trail with the top end looser than I like. Though the little KDX started easily and ran well and even had good compression, it sounded like the piston was trying to go up and down sideways. <_< Now I have some more funds and just sent the barrel out to be replated. Soon (well, maybe not terribly soon, since the top end has to sent back east) Fentley will be snug and quiet for many years to come. Also will order a new Trail Tech speedometer to wire to the original sensor.