alyeska

Help! carb problems

Just spent the day working on the valves and carb on my dr 650, bike starting stammering on long steep grades in high gears, so carb was the suspect, I ran the valves anyway just to be sure, and changed plugs today, I cleaned the carb, cleared the jets, (were not blocked) and reassembled, problem was still there, so I took it apart again, and repeated also checking the float height with a caliper, all was good, then I found the cross shaft was pretty worn, so I am thinking heres my problem! I got it running again and sprayed water at the shaft and sure enough it effected the running. My dilemma now is, do I spend $449 at pro cycle for a tm40 kit or do I try to find another new or used oem unit? has anyone run the tm 40 kit? I noticed keintech has it for $375 which is $75 less than pro cycle, but it looks like it comes with less stuff. alyeska

http://mxrob.com/mxrob_004.htm

I never had any probs with my stock carb but they are sensitive (in combo with the bike) on RPM's.......kind of a CV carb / DR mix. The CV carb doesn't lug well on the DR.....it kinda "chatters" or burbles. Downshifting is your friend.

If it's an actual mechanical problem as you mentioned and you're debating about a pumper.....I'd go with mxrob's FCR39. It has an "anti deccel pop" circuit to it where the TM40 does not and the cable actuating mechanism is internal as opposed to the TM40. I rode my sons TM40 equiped DR and it's not quite as smooth as my FCR modded bike. Either is a huge improvement over stock.

Rob is very easy to deal with. He buys the FCR, goes thru it and replaces everything worn, makes whatever mods are necessary for the DR, jets it for your needs and adds an adapter for the airbox. It's plug & play. Worth the $450 to me.

I also ground the header weld, opened the airbox and put a GSXR exhaust can with a TB midpipe. Fun stuff.

If you want another stock carb, Ask around here:

http://drriders.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295&page=2942

Thanks for the links, I see what I did not do now! I will tear it down one more time and post a follow up if it works. alyeska

http://www.bikebandi...17381#sch553421

Not sure what you are referring to as the "cross shaft" but am interested in the eval & results. Another thing to check is the air hose (#17) that goes up under the seat. The little foam inside the filter housing becomes clogged and can affect throttle response. I replaced mine with a K&N oil breather filter....same protection, much more surface area.

If you want a little quicker throttle response still, the factory partially drilled the carb slide (second hole) but didn't complete for EPA reasons. Complete that hole and it gives the slide less resistance so it opens faster.

Drilled the second hole this morning, also cleaned vent filter and even tested removed, carl also told me about suzukis tiny filter inside the carb fuel inlet nipple, I removed that also, I think its combination worn out carb and cross shaft (the shaft that the brass butterfly is screwed to) these shafts caused alot of problems in buggy carbs, wearing very fast due to sand and dirt. I am done with it, anyone need parts? talked to carl at pro cycle 5 mins ago and just ordered the tm 40 kit, $500 kills me, but it seems they have the most complete kit ready to go pre jetted for my mods and comes with an extra jet kit and cables. If I had more time I would have put something else together, but I plan on a run to tombstone next week and I am riding the bike. Thanks again for the help troubleshooting. alyeska

While you're waiting, consider grinding the header weld if ya haven't. It's amazing how much material is blocking the exhaust path.

Didn't know about the pending ride or I would've offered my stock carb on loan until you made a decision (still there if ya want it). No mods. Bone stock.

Thanks trophyhunter, I think I will check that weld, this is the first used bike I have bought in years, lesson learned, you never know what people have done to a bike before you get it! I think I am into this thing now for around $4k and thats alot for a bike that books at $2500 high! but at least its going to be exactly the way I want it when done. I will post a ride notice when i know which day I am leaving, I am in the middle of selling my business and should close it by this friday, I figure after freeing myself of that burden I will cut loose in tombstone for a few days, some real good riding in that area, and you can get some decent beverages also. alyeska

The $$$$ is not as important as the smile on your face. I'm into mine for $5K total but it's everything it can be with all the mods. Still less than a new one, bone stock.

Your right about that! I bought a new dl100 in 09 and making it the way I wanted cost another $3k, and after a trip to the sierras with my wife in winter she won't even get near it anymore! alyeska