bikeslut

new fork seals

One of the ways they have been chasing stiction out of forks is by using seals with low sealing force. This works, but the seals are fragile. change the wipers when you change seals, and give the tubes a careful inspection for any nicks. Polish them out, and fill any low bits with superglue. It doesn't take much tube damage to really shorten the life of fork seals.

Also, sometimes seals leak if there is dirt in the sealing area. You can use something like a .003 feeler gauge to gently pull any debris out of the seal. This works sometimes, and is for sure worth trying in the field (provided you have feeler gauges).

One of the ways they have been chasing stiction out of forks is by using seals with low sealing force. This works, but the seals are fragile. change the wipers when you change seals, and give the tubes a careful inspection for any nicks. Polish them out, and fill any low bits with superglue. It doesn't take much tube damage to really shorten the life of fork seals.

Also, sometimes seals leak if there is dirt in the sealing area. You can use something like a .003 feeler gauge to gently pull any debris out of the seal. This works sometimes, and is for sure worth trying in the field (provided you have feeler gauges).

camera film, business cards, feeler gauges... I get that... like I said... I'll fix them again, and if that doesn't work, I 'll replace the WR forks with some from an XRL or DRZ... those forks suck, but at least they don't leak :lol:

I did check the tubes for nicks, and round as best I could, but they seemed fine... the fork seals lasted two rides both times... I'm sure my incompetence is the explanation

I had used a fork saver but it had a nasty tendency of falling out of place... but that was a result of my trailer being extremely bouncy on dirt roads. Still, it was not confidence inspiring and I ceased using it(well it actually just was lost when driving on a dirt road and not found again). It is possible I was using it incorrectly but I do think I had it correct.

Pffft....I can never keep one of those things in place, even if I am not driving down a very bouncy road. <_<

Mimi and JBW,

I have had good luck with the Fork (Suspension) Saver that I purchased from Christi (Applied Racing). It has two small pegs on the tire end and a piece of rubber that goes thru the tire to hold the whole thing together should it bounce out of allignment. Ask her next time you see her because I don't see a picture of that one on her site.

I use it all the time now. Love it.

Seems for me if the bike is strapped down hard without a saver for long periods of time or subject to extreme changes in altitude or temperature, I would loose a seal. Picture Fresno in the summer to high up into the cooler Sierra's in a few hours. ;)

Good luck Bob.

S

I am still nursing a slight leak with 35 mm film...

Edit: Part number 85001 @ Applied Racing made by TSR here locally in San Diego, USA. :)