xr650lnoob

Not happy with academyrentals

I have a gift certificate from academyrentals that was given to me because we had paid to ride the full day about 2 years ago, but only got an opportunity to ride half the day due to their fault.

We had specifically asked for 3 bikes. We got 1 bike 2 quads. The driver arrived with the vehicle late almost 4 hours while we waited on the side of the road.

I have not had the need to use them, but decided to rent an additional bike since i need a 3rd one for this saturday. I was trying to do a father and sons ride since i don't get to see them much.

The gift certificate does not have an expiration date nor does it have any specific limitations of when it can be used (holidays etc). I called academy rentals to use the gift card and rent a dirt bike for 01-01-2011. I was told on the phone by Chris that these gift cards could not be used for that date because it was a holiday weekend.

I was told that these "limitations" are posted on the website. I checked the entire website and don't see any limitations clause anywhere.

I was hoping that there could have been an exception in our case due to the fact that these gift cards were not bought but rather given due to the fact that we could not ride for the time we had paid for. If i had been told this at the time, i would have made for other arrangements.

The fact that i was on the phone with Chris for 10 minutes and he stated he had a "short temper" after which he proceeded to shower the conversation with colorful language totally made the company's customer service experience very poor. As a customer, I was not expecting to be on the phone getting blasted by their employee because according to Chris "I was busting his balls" when in fact, all i was trying to do was see if there were other ways come to a solution.

It comes down to how a business is being conducted and it's customers being treated (spoken to on the phone).

Anyway, just posting my experience and venting a little.

I just called to see where they are located. Ocotillo. I was hoping they were in OW so we could pay a visit while out there this weekend. Sounded like a tool on the phone!

I just called to see where they are located. Ocotillo. I was hoping they were in OW so we could pay a visit while out there this weekend. Sounded like a tool on the phone!

That's what i remember thinking the 1st time i called also.

I'm gonna check out yelp. Thanks for the link.

It also seems Chris is infact the owner. When i called him up he pretended like he needed to talk to Randy (the owner) and he (Chris) was just an employee.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chris-j-spounias/7/b58/92

i had that guy stop and ask me for water after a ride a month or two ago. He had a group of riders on quads that he had taken from ocotillo to superstition. I was parked near ocotillo and they were on their way back. The people he was guiding were out of water and looked pretty dang thirsty. They couldn't make it the 3-4 miles back to ocotillo without the water they said. I gave them some extra bottles I had in my vehicle.

Its not my business but maybe some one should call the BBB? :mellow:

Good suggestion Brad. This only helps though if folks check the BBB or online complaint sites BEFORE they do business.

My workload would be reduced by 80% if folks did this so the idea is appreciated.

A good example is Baja Motorsports (Pep Boys stuff). I figure only 5% of unhappy people actually file a complaint so I automatically multiply the reported problems by 20. That would leave BM with over 2000 complaints.

Disclaimer: This IS NOT Baja Designs....those folks have great stuff and customer service that'll make you smile.

Yelp.com and bbb.org,... I think I will be referencing these sites more often. Thank you guys.

This is that hole in the wall place, around the corner from Lazy Lizard??

... if so, I know some locals in Ocotillo... who have more words to say about that guy and his business.

And for a little sleepy town like that, I'm sure there's more "issues" than poor customer service coming from that place. coolio.gif