Sign in to follow this  
Driss

North County BMW Ride to Mike's Sky Ranch

Well the trip was a success we all had a lot fun, some of the riders were very experienced Baja riders others were professional Baja racers on there young age and there was even a guy on R1200GSA that was third on the 450cc class on the 2010 Baja 1000, Because of that the pace to get there was fast and we the not so experienced learned a lot on this trip because we had to try to keep up.

I was moving thru the sand at 40mph were on the last trip I could not manage 5mph on my R1200GS. I did fall off my bike twice but got the bike up fast enough before Kkug can pull his camera :lol: :lol: :lol: The TKC tires are a must on the dirt for these big bikes and the steering damper did it's job to help me when I forgot I was on a big bike going thru sand.

Overall I had a lot of fun at mikes sky ranch the place was packed as there was a group of 60 to 70 people celebrating someones birthday there and they have been doing this at Mikes for the last 20 years I was told. They had at least 3 babies with them and I really means babies non walking ones.

we went there using the Compadre trail and come back thru the Laguna Hanson trail which was more sandy than the last time we took it to go to Mikes and that was two month ago.

I am ready for another Baja trip but would love to take the small bike so I can enjoy the trip by working less as these big BMW's will keep your hands full no matter what the terrain is in Baja.

Nice to hear that the changes you made to the BMW all worked well and allowed for a more enjoyable riding experience.

Nice job!

Nice to hear that the changes you made to the BMW all worked well and allowed for a more enjoyable riding experience.

Nice job!

Thank you, You have no idea how happy I was , I was giggling in my helmet and screaming when I went thru the last, long and deep stretch of sand to Mikes. This is what I learned speed and speed and speed when you go thru sand if you slow down the front wheel gets buried and you are screwed Because by the time you act to correct the problem it might be too late with my experience to react and that was the cause cause of my two falls between Laguna Hanson and El Hondo the guy in front of me slowed down and I slowed down and could not control the bike at 5mph to 10mph going thru very deep sand in a narrow trail.

At the end of the day a 600 pound bike is a lot to handle off road and I am making it mission to learn to control this beast.

We got a lot of Razzen fron the birthday boys crew. ( Cliff Matlok --I think ) All of El Cajon and East county were their.

Little do they know when they grow up they will be on Beemers.

I did see Driss take one dirt nap and it was quite spectacular. He was trying to jump a four foot ditch wall.Travis Pestrana would have been impressed.

Aah Driss I did get you. Driss is in the KTM gear with his suport crew.

Notice the line he was taking to jump the bank !

IMG_0004.jpg

Please post your trip report and photos from this ride here.

Thanks !

I think I am going to have to strip search Ken the next time and every time I go on a ride with him because he is always catching me taking napes :lol: :lol: This time at least my face is not on the picture.

By the way why are you saying I am the guy with the KTM outfit I ride a BMW not a KTM and that was someone else that took that nape. are you sure that's me :lol: :lol: :lol: What proof do you have my face is nowhere in the picture.

By the way guys this trip was a lot fun and we should do one every month or two. This one was very fast pace and Ken can testify to that, half of the group was above average and the other half was ex Baja racers they knew every corner and what speed to take it. That left me with another guy having to catch up and we did.

I had no desire to ride in the dust so I hung out toward the back.

Hello Dirt Scumby's, I'm recently signed up here, but have been on advrider.com for years. It was a pleasure riding with you guys to Mike's. I did a small ride report on advrider. Here's the link (yes, I stole a pic from here too). Feel free to add comments or pics to the report. Thanks again, and see ya on the trail.

Mike's Report

Hello Dirt Scumby's, I'm recently signed up here, but have been on advrider.com for years. It was a pleasure riding with you guys to Mike's. I did a small ride report on advrider. Here's the link (yes, I stole a pic from here too). Feel free to add comments or pics to the report. Thanks again, and see ya on the trail.

Mike's Report

Hey Ed, it's good to see you finally here on SDAR !

Ed and I have been riding dirt and street together for years.

Here are some more pics guys. It was great fun riding with all of you. Thanks for coming on the ride!

The water crossing on compadre trail.

post-14337-076765900 1292714478_thumb.jp

post-14337-033745700 1292714502_thumb.jp

post-14337-070873500 1292714528_thumb.jp

The Palappas just past the water crossing.

post-14337-031259400 1292714558_thumb.jp

post-14337-012405400 1292714580_thumb.jp

post-14337-095912300 1292714601_thumb.jp

The whole group in front of Laguna Hansen.

post-14337-019897600 1292714642_thumb.jp

Also, here's a link to some of the video too. I've got a few hours worth of HD video that's going to take me a bit to put a little video together so stay tuned.

Kinda Slow Today ?? :rolleyes: Thanks for posting up and thanks for doing the ride. Next time to the coast !

Rick,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pictures and please post more if you have them. I knew that KTM jersey and orange helmet would not look good on a BMW R1200GS and especially on a ride organised by a BMW dealership, Now I really need to come a get a BMW jersey from you.

On the same note you guys really organized a very nice trip for all of us and thank you very for everything you guys did to make it a safe and fun trip for the goup of rider that come in. I personally upped my riding skills (big bike wise) on this trip and that is due mostly to the caliber of rider that were there.

When is the next ride ? You can count me in.

Thank you

Here are some more pics guys. It was great fun riding with all of you. Thanks for coming on the ride!

The water crossing on compadre trail.

post-14337-076765900 1292714478_thumb.jp

post-14337-033745700 1292714502_thumb.jp

post-14337-070873500 1292714528_thumb.jp

The Palappas just past the water crossing.

post-14337-031259400 1292714558_thumb.jp

post-14337-012405400 1292714580_thumb.jp

post-14337-095912300 1292714601_thumb.jp

The whole group in front of Laguna Hansen.

post-14337-019897600 1292714642_thumb.jp