husky4me

First one to buy the brand new BMW G650 X Challenge in S.D.

:lol::lol::lol: Gary Orr at San Diego BMW finally allowed me to take a demo ride this morning, with the support of our buddy Bosman (Jim)... I came back and gave him a deposit... He did not want me to take the bike since it's the only one on display... So I may have to wait a few weeks to take delivery... :unsure: Anyway, it does not pull you as fast as my husky (short tranny), but it just feels right for the longer dual-sports rides (very smooth and comfortable)... Hopefully they will come up with a bigger tank in the future... it has taken me since last September to decide, and it just feels right...

OK... That looks nice... definitely more dirt worthy than the F650 (or whatever it's called) right? Comfort, etc.? We expect a full ride report when you get delivery.

Congratulations!

just went to a BMW website... that new bike weighs about 100 pounds less than the Dakar 650, with similar power requirements (and significantly less fuel)

That bike should motor pretty good if the weight numbers are accurate

Congrats Martin !! Awesome. Will you keep the Husky for more serious trail riding ?

Thanks all!! I plan to keep the husky for more technical riding and desert, and the Challenge for easier longer rides (where I have to use more pavement)... well, that's what I'm thinking so far... the husky is a lot of fun and very powerful for its weight (almost the same ponnies as the bigger BMW), with short tranni six speeds... it's very tiring on the pavement parts and longer road rides... hopefully the BMW will cover that area... my only concern is the small gas tank (2.5 gal) which is supposed to give a range of about 150 miles (55 MPH)... Gary thinks they will come up with an option of bigger tank.. the BMW's seat it's not as comfortable as the old Dakar, but it's a little better than the husky (a little wider in the butt area)... It feels right, so now I just have to test it on one of the rides.. :unsure: I may be able to pick it up this week if I promise Gary I will lend it to him for an event they are having at the end of the month where he wants to display it.. Can't wait to try it!! :lol:

:lol::lol:;) Gary Orr at San Diego BMW finally allowed me to take a demo ride this morning, with the support of our buddy Bosman (Jim)... I came back and gave him a deposit... He did not want me to take the bike since it's the only one on display... So I may have to wait a few weeks to take delivery... :lol: Anyway, it does not pull you as fast as my husky (short tranny), but it just feels right for the longer dual-sports rides (very smooth and comfortable)... Hopefully they will come up with a bigger tank in the future... it has taken me since last September to decide, and it just feels right... so, I finally did it! :lol:Posted Image

Martin!!!

You made my day fun! :lol: I'm very happy for you & will enjoy your purchase vicariously at least until one follows me home too! And your photographer is pretty darn good too! :unsure:

Hopefully I can go with on some break-in miles to Otay Mountain etc. We'll need some photos for the Open House on the 31st. I'd love to see all you SDAR wildmen come on by. Have a of cup of joe, a snack & rub on some bikes! We can also get you signed up for the Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Charity Fund Raiser GS/Adventure ride on 14 April. This is a Quasi Hi Jack. Hands up!

We expect a full ride report when you get delivery.

Congratulations!

Heck with the report, I want to SEE that baby in action! We'll need to plan a ride as soon as you take delivery... :unsure: Congrats Martin, that is a SWEEEET looking ride.

:D:D:D Picked up my bike this afternoon!!! Yupi!!!

Just in time for Sunday's break in ride. :unsure:

:D:D:D Picked up my bike this afternoon!!! Yupi!!!

Just in time for Sunday's break in ride. B)

Amen... Will we see it on Sunday Martin??? :ph34r:

Wow Martin, NICE ! ! ! Congratulations ! I can't wait to check it out !

Hey guys, thanks for your support!! :D

I only had a chance to ride it home and last night rode it around for a few minutes... It is more mellow, smooth, and I don't feel the "two stroke" pool my four stroke (short stroke) husky has... It has good power but is just different. It does feel very comfortable on the pavement.. I noticed the tires are balanced and the air pressure is about 28 lb... I'm wondering if I can go down to 15 on the dirt... the tires are more street oriented, so I may have to make some changes.. overall, I'm very pleased.. But the true test will be when I take it on the dirt.. :D

I'm not sure I want to join you guys for the Sunday ride at Corral Canyon, because I want to take it easy, brake in the motor, and get used to it... I'm thinking about more of an easy fireroad just to start... I may be out of town this weekend since I have a family event, but if I'm around, maybe I can hook up with someone Sat or Sunday for an easy ride to start... Once I'm used to it, then will take it to the real stuff! :D

I remember when I firt got my old 02 KTM 300 EXC.. I was used to riding a four stroke Honda CRF 150.. I took it to Corral Canyon, and the first time I turned it on this guy came by and invited me to take a super easy trail (I guess it was easy for him).. I did the whole loop going down through the rocky area, where I could not control the power (being used to the slow Honda), jumped and hit my shoulder on a rock, needing several hundred dollars of physical therapy and months of pain... :D So, NO, I learned my lesson, first ride will be an easy trail.... allow me to get used to the bike...

Hey guys, thanks for your support!! By the way, my topic saying "first one to buy" was not intended to brag about it, but I was just very happy because I had liked this model since I saw in on the BMW website, and felt proud about getting the first one from San Diego BMW... :lol:

I only had a chance to ride it home and last night rode it around for a few minutes... It is more mellow, smooth, and I don't feel the "two stroke" pool my four stroke (short stroke) husky has... It has good power but is just different. It does feel very comfortable on the pavement.. I noticed the tires are balanced and the air pressure is about 28 lb... I'm wondering if I can go down to 15 on the dirt... the tires are more street oriented, so I may have to make some changes.. overall, I'm very pleased.. But the true test will be when I take it on the dirt.. :lol:

I'm not sure I want to join you guys for the Sunday ride at Corral Canyon, because I want to take it easy, brake in the motor, and get used to it... I'm thinking about more of an easy fireroad just to start... I may be out of town this weekend since I have a family event, but if I'm around, maybe I can hook up with someone Sat or Sunday for an easy ride to start... Once I'm used to it, then will take it to the real stuff! :o

I remember when I firt got my old 02 KTM 300 EXC.. I was used to riding a four stroke Honda CRF 150.. I took it to Corral Canyon, and the first time I turned it on this guy came by and invited me to take a super easy trail (I guess it was easy for him).. I did the whole loop going down through the rocky area, where I could not control the power (being used to the slow Honda), jumped and hit my shoulder on a rock, needing several hundred dollars of physical therapy and months of pain... :( So, NO, I learned my lesson, first ride will be an easy trail.... allow me to get used to the bike...

Hi Martin,

I'd love to go for an easy Sunday ride even if it's later in the afternoon. We could go play out on Proctor Valley then over to the Fire Road by Thousand Trails up to Otay Mountain. Maybe catch the sunset from on top the mountain!

to Otay Mountain. Maybe catch the sunset from on top the mountain!

That's romantic.... :lol: Can I join you ? :o

:lol: you are so funny Randy!!!

Bos, thanks for the offer... I'll send you a P.M. if I'm in town... I have an event in Guadalajara Mexico this weekend I don't really want to attend... I'll know for sure tomorrow if I go or stay... that's why I could not commit to the Sacramento trip...

Heck, Randy, you are welcome to see the sunset!! :o

I rode it to work today, then stopped in a mall for lunch... I could not eat comfortably because some guys kept on checking it out.... anyway, I really like it so far... Cool bike!

That's romantic.... :lol: Can I join you ? :(

Bring Beer :o

Cheap date!

Cheap date!

I was thinking a bottle of Merlot and a little picnic basket.

That's romantic.... :lol: Can I join you ? :lol:

Bring Beer :(

Cheap date!

I was thinking a bottle of Merlot and a little picnic basket.

I want to that bungied to the back of your 950. Now that would be the "pic of the day". Bring your sun bonnet too. :o

... I could not eat comfortably because some guys kept on checking it out....

I think your going to have to expect that a LOT Martin :o I'm sure they are not looking to steal it (except in certain parts of the county). Besides, it has a lock, right? :lol: So don't woory, be happy :(

You should AT LEAST ride it down the road to the Pine Valley exit and show it off to us on Sunday morning. Anybody else wanna see???

You should AT LEAST ride it down the road to the Pine Valley exit and show it off to us on Sunday morning. Anybody else wanna see???

Hey Rob... maybe I'll do that, or meet you guys inside Corral C. Or who knows, maybe I'll just do the ride, should not be that bad... I'm sure Gary Orr from San Diego BMW will be thrilled to have the new 07 G 650 X Challenge all dirty, with scratch plastics, and bent pipe, for display at the BMW open house on the 31st... :o It will be like the Dakar they show in their catalog all full of mud... :( I can't wait to try it out in the dirt... at 5 p.m. today and I'm out of here... go riding... :lol:

Hey Rob... maybe I'll do that, or meet you guys inside Corral C. Or who knows, maybe I'll just do the ride, should not be that bad... I'm sure Gary Orr from San Diego BMW will be thrilled to have the new 07 G 650 X Challenge all dirty, with scratch plastics, and bent pipe, for display at the BMW open house on the 31st... :lol: It will be like the Dakar they show in their catalog all full of mud... :lol: I can't wait to try it out in the dirt... at 5 p.m. today and I'm out of here... go riding... :o

Way to go Martin. Get ur dirty and show the BMW riders the way the bike should look, Ridden. Not shiney in the garage. :(