dirt dame

Big Bear Weekend of 10/16/10

So....Johnnybags hosted the last ride of the season for riding the trails and fireroads on the south side of Big Bear lake. The riding went on all weekend, so I am sure there will be LOTS more pictures and posts about this ride. I was only able to attend the Saturday ride though, and it was a very fine one indeed. :coolio:

Had to get up reeeeally early in the morning to get to John's place in Big Bear on time. Grey and damp all the way up the freeway, the Jeepy, Trajan the TE and I emerged onto an island in the clouds up on the San Bernardino mountains.

100_1170.jpg

100_1164.jpg

100_1173.jpg

Once at Big Bear, I wasted no time in gearing up and getting prepared to join Johnnybags, Kkug, KLXguy. DSfox and Boat440 for a delightful day in the mountains.

100_1174.jpg

It was off to the fireroads for us under sunny bluebird skies. We rode on the dirt roads for awhile.

100_1175.jpg

100_1176.jpg

100_1177.jpg

100_1178.jpg

Then we did a little singletrack riding. Before we got to the tree trail, a couple people split off to stay on the wide dirt. I can't hardly resist mountain singletrack, and even though I was on my large, heavy bike I decided to do the trail anyway. I practically had to carry the bike on my shoulders through a few spots :heh: but made it through okay and was glad that I went. As a note to those of you who have done this trail in the past, a couple of the trees are gone now. :unsure:

100_1179.jpg

It was a very scenic trail with water and mud on it in places. The fireroads were plenty dusty though.

We all rejoined one another at a road intersection and continued through the mountains down to Seven Oaks for lunch.

100_1183.jpg

100_1184.jpg

Here I was introduced to their fine hamburgers. We sat outside near our machines and ate while fluffy clouds began to move in, blocking the sun from time to time. Josh's bike silently took a nap for a while before anybody noticed that it went down. By the time this was discovered, a LOT of gasoline had poured out of the machine and into the ground. So when we left, the gas tank on that KTM was very low on fuel.

By now, the sky was rather brooding and it looked like we'd have some weather for sure. Sure enough Josh's bike hit reserve shortly after lunch and the sky let loose too.

100_1185.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1187.jpg

100_1188.jpg

We were lucky enough to always be trailing the rainfall though. Now the air smelled wonderful and there was no more dust. Conditions couldn't have been more perfect. Josh cut to the highway in search of fuel and Ken accompanied him. The rest of us took a nice jeep trail back to Big bear.

It was a another great day on the mountain. Always good to see Ken and Debie, and it was nice meeting Boat440, KLXguy and Johnnybags as well. A big thanks to John for opening his home and hospitality up to riders for the weekend and thanks to all the riders for a great ride and company. :party:

Jealousy . . . Envy . . agony! Wow I missed a good one here. Great pics and write up so far. Thanks! :D

Hey, can we see some more now plz? watchdrama8jm.gif

Hey, can we see some more now plz? watchdrama8jm.gif

I sure hope so! There were more cameras around than just mine, and people must have gotten home by now.

Thanks all for an enjoyable Saturday. Did not take any pics as I thought everyone else had that covered.I had to bug out Sat.and took the road to Pionertown. No dust and perfect traction due to the rain.

Thanks again to a great group of riders.

Home Late last night...work early this morning...will download and post pics later tonight....Had a blast..Thanks John for another fun filled Big Bear Weekend.....and also hosting a Great Party and BBQ on Saturday night.....We also squeezed in some dirtbike lessons and got another lady dualsporting !.....Johns friend Tracy is a downhill mountain biker and did awesome on the klx.......she'll need her own bike soon, no doubt....and I'm sure she'll be down for desert riding Soon...

As always, great weekend, ride and even better SDAR's. And a few new friends

Saturday loop:

Snow Summit Towne Trail, 2N17, 2N08, secret single track, Clark's Grade, Tree Trail (belly ache ridge), 1N04 to an always scrunptious Seven Oaks double bacon cheeseburger, back on 1N04, 2N93 Wildhorse Meadow and 2N27 back into Big Bear

Thanks to DsFox and Slagnado for offering up a bike and lessons for Tracy.

First time ever on a dirt bike Tracy made it 50 miles round trip from Cactus Flats almost all the way to Pioneertown. 3N03, 2N02, Rosemine Flats, including some not so beginner rock sections.

And thanks to them both for INSISTING that KLXguy and I take in a few 'non-beginner' trails. Our "Y-factor" fix as Deb puts it.

We flat out hammered Vista Trail from East to West.

(way better trail if done east to west)

Only downside is it will inevitably end up costing me alot more money. Bikes, upkeep, vacations....etc

But if we can fill the trails with Foxy riders, then I'm OK with the investment.

Thanks to all for coming and enjoying.

Always welcome in Big Bear

I think she's a keeper.

Can't wait to see ALL the awesome pics.

Although we all know that NO picture ever does justice to the real thing.

Just had to get one more trip to the mountains....and as always johnnybags is the awesome host!..thanks John...Before anyone gives me a mouthful.....Yes, I did bring the KLX for unselfish reasons....we had plans to teach Tracy how to ride this weekend and that bike is great for that....I took sondras bike up for her, so no room in truck for 3 bikes, so KTM had to stay home. i do love and miss it :wub: .....

FRIDAY NIGHT:

So Friday it was Just John, Josh and myself....We headed out at 4 pm...down to Pioneertown (a fun 75 mile roundtrip)....GREAT little town, Ghost town sort of place, fun restaurant/bar/live music, etc..Old western dirt street and mood......(and we saw they have a motel there)....FUTURE SDAR WEEKEND ADVENTURE TRIP....PERHAPS????....

from there you can ride to Joshua tree, Johnson Valley, Stoddard wells, up to Big Bear (as long as no snow if winter)...Maybe Jan/Feb?.

The road out there has one pretty legitimate water crossing (2' deep, 30 feet wide ish)....we reach the water and there's a group of green sticker dirt bikers timidly staring at the water from the other side......Josh was already across and discussing it with them...so I came along and as I usually take water crossings....I got ON IT...(so as to not fall in the middle, rather get splashed than sink or tip over or let some rock beat me up).......they were all entertained by my speed and wall of water entrance...they cheered..but then the green sticker guys all turned around and opted to not do the water....go figure!:ph34r:

the Road to Pioneertown:

PA150201.jpg

PA150202.jpg

So we arrived, had fresh cooked BBQ from the grill for dinner,...walked around and decided a night ride was in order, so we could stay and hear the band...the place is in the middle of nowhere, just West of yucca valley, ca.....but gets PACKED at night.....Very nice outdoor party area (maybe for our SDAR weekend)..

Great Night ride back....the light on the KLX ROCKS, so we made pretty good time coming home...... I led and the ktms flanked me...close enough to not get dusted...

I don't care much for night riding, but it was a blast....COLD (30's)....but fun....Got back about 11 pm.....

PA150207.jpg

PA150203.jpg

PA150204.jpg

PA150208.jpg

PA150206.jpg

PA150210.jpg

PA150211.jpg

PA150212.jpg

More later...

Deb,

Your pics and narratives are awesome.

Makes feel like I was there......I mean if I wasn't of course.

Thanks again SO MUCH for offering up and transporting the bikes so Tracy could ride.

She's still buzzing and pumped about the experience.

And already making comments on a bike of her own.

Maybe Santa will hook her up this year with a two wheel red sled of her own.

SATURDAY:

Mimi pretty much covered it,...great ride with 6....I heard the weather was YUCK here, but it was amazing and perfectly sunny riding weather up there....^_^

For one short section, Ken on the 800 pound (oh, I mean the GS800 BIKE) and me with torn ligaments in the right knee chose to skip the tree trail, and met the group a bit below...

Johnnybags demonstrates how to eat a 7 Oaks Double Bacon cheeseburger.:party: ...(greatest burgers in the world there)....

PA160216.jpg

PA160220.jpg

PA160222.jpg

PA160221.jpg

PA160224.jpg

PA160227.jpg

PA160231.jpg

SATURDAY NIGHT

So we later enjoyed a Great BBQ and party at Johns house....Sondra came up after work, and some of johns friends joined us....including Tracy, who we will teach to ride on Sunday...Great time, Great Food, Great Drinks, Great company....(btw..as Tracy and I learned.....if you're a chick...DON'T mess with a mans GRILL...:grrr: ) all in fun of course...

PA160233.jpg

PA160236.jpg

PA160237.jpg

SUNDAY..

Another Beautiful Mountain day....while josh and sondra headed out to ride, john and I took tracy over to cactus flats to convert another dual sport lady..She did AWESOME..:thumbsup_anim: we ejoyed her homemade muffins too...Thanks Tracy.....being a downhill mountain biker and ski coach for Big Bear High school, she is a great athlete and picked it all up very quickly...and showed she is pretty much fearless......Later she did a long trail ride toward Pioneer town......John, have her pick a name and join us at SDAR....

All of us that have enjoyed your hospitality all summer, look forward to hosting you Highlanders this winter for desert riding....Glad she had fun....She is Great People.....

(of course, we will still come visit to ski this winter;) ) Thanks again for a great weekend...

PA170240.jpg

PA170245.jpg

PA170241.jpg

PA170247.jpg

PA170243.jpg

PA170248.jpg

PA170246.jpg

Awesome weekend of great riding. It was nice to meet a few new people and ride with some old friends. Weather was perfect. :coolio:

We ended the 2010 ride season with quite a spectacular day!!

Enjoyed riding with the SDAR members I have never met: Dirt Dame, Dsfox, KLX & Kkug.

Thank you to Johnnybags for opening his home.

How about a SDAR ski day at Snow Summit, followed the next day by a ride in the Johnson Valley OHV area?

Again enjoyed everyone's company/camaraderie and look forward to many future adventures in Big Bear and beyond, Boat440(Steve)...