hmmm, interest peaked

how long b4 u should replace a battery?

hottest day AND in Mexican desert

that pic shows a pig in deep, soft sand

would a satellite phone have helped?

rumbling was a helicopter?

a pic speaks a thousand words

trip odometer reading?

No net for me till tonite. But I am shure we will clue you all in in the coming days.

Sounds like an adventure...what noise does a failed final drive make

Clunk! We added a rider from Santa Cruz in the first hour on the trail to our group. He is on a Dakar airhead and stranded in Santo Tomas needing a ride back to SD. I can set him up with a place and loaner bike but I have no way to get him. Can anyone offer to help him out? I will keep you company this afternoon(it is all a matter of perspective if that is good or bad).

Ride write-up is going to be later on. I remember a whole lot of sand, never ending deep sand and as soon as I got the hang of it, it got deeper, feeling broken by the time I made it to Mike's and happy that I didn't know it was the hottest days of summer until we returned. David gave me a hard time for two camel backs with 4 liters, I drank them all by 3 and needed more.

Clunk! We added a rider from Santa Cruz in the first hour on the trail to our group. He is on a Dakar airhead and stranded in Santo Tomas needing a ride back to SD. I can set him up with a place and loaner bike but I have no way to get him. Can anyone offer to help him out?

Doing what I can. Unsure what I will be able to do tonight or tomorrow. We will need accurate GPS locations or someone who knows the area well with us. I am prepared to take my truck and and some support hardware.

Story lines

We all met new riders-every was a real trooper

I think you need to take tie downs along just in case

A F800GS runs on a XR650 Battery

A XR650 runs without a battery

Eat Lunch

When I went to meet Driss at his house I suggested he take some tiedown,s along. His saddlebag set up looked a little weak for a ride to Mikes. A good thing because sure enough he needed them later.

Driss and I met Dave and Lynn at the Park and Ride. Off we go to meet Sondra at the 7/11 on the 94. After some adjustments to Driss,s shifter off to the boarder we go. We pick up Bruce and after some of us get pulled over at the Port of Entry Eric joins our group. Some of us met before,but it was great meeting new riders that have never been to Mikes Sky Ranch.

After a break in La Rumarosa we start down the dirt road . Passed threw one of many military checkpoints ( about five or more ) Some of us had to open our bags--the same old routine. After an hour we pass a rider on a 90,ish air head Dakar. He is riding at a steady pace. Little did we know at this time that this was his first dirt experience. He was from Santa Cruze and going on a month and half ride to Baja.

At a break we took him under our wings and he joined for the ride to Mikes . A good experience for him. We clued him into a lot of tips.

At Luguna Hanson my battery decided to short out. ( A BMW thing-- two years 24K thing )We did some swapping to make shure it was the Battery. Dave come up with a good one. Take the battery out of Bruce's XR650L and put in my bike. Worked great ( all we had to do was push Bruce once in a while )

We were running late and some were expecting a five star restaurant at Luguna Hanson. Their is none and some were getting tired and had empty stomach's. But we decided to push on to Vally de Trinad.

Story lines

Big Bikes -take short naps

Don,t pitch your passenger

We encountered some sand . For some it was a real pain. Very big bikes fully loaded, non knobby,big pig type of thing. Some took dirt naps.

I will let Dave tell his story. But every body was having a good time ,the weather was awesome, clear blue sky, not to hot till Sunday. No whining or sniveling in this bunch.

We left Vally de Trinidad around 5:30 after gassing up and having some sodas and snacks. We decided to take Dave,s hard way into Mikes. I always call it easy way . Pavement for ten miles and then the 20 mile road up to mikes.

More sand ,more dirt naps,awesome sunset,slow and easy for some. Better safe than sorry. A bunch of bikes passed us including ( John a photographer for BMW that I know )He was on a GS 1200 and was just smoking. Scared the crap out of Driss.

Rest stop at Luguna Hanson

SDARMikesTrip001.jpg

Driss on Mikes road.

SDARMikesTrip005.jpg

Sondra on the ride of her life.

SDARMikesTrip009.jpg

Story lines

I get a headache from Pacifico

Whats that Rumbling Sound

So we get to Mikes --almost dark. We are hot, a beehive of activity, beers ,talking to other riders,good times.

We are almost ready to eat and a couple ride in. Cynthia (I think ) and Henry. We find out that she just started riding and Henry takes her to mikes. She has a tt150 Yamaha. Rode all the way from Rancho Santa Veronica. The biggest smile on her face, just rode in with no head lite. Invited them to join SDAR.

Dinner -more BS,more beers,warm,awesome.

When the lites go out we hear this rumble. Earthquake or rock slide. A real big one --we din,t feel much but the noise lasted a long time-long time. A few more later in the nite.

Sunset

SDARMikesTrip013.jpg

Sondra at the last water crossing.

SDARMikesTrip014.jpg

Story lines

Thanks for chase trucks

Why are we riding on the Hottest Day of the year

Did you see that air tanker

The bridge to nowhere

So morning arrives.It is getting hot.

I have a headache ( must be the altitude )

Dave decides to let Lynn ride in a chase truck back to the highway. One ride on Mikes road is enough for her.

More sand ( The same sand just in reverse )

SDARMikesTrip019.jpg

This is when Driss took out his tie downs. Strapped him up and he is good to go.

SDARMikesTrip020.jpg

We finally made it back to Valley de Trinidad. Gassed up, Snacks water, its hot.

We split up--Shaun was going to the coast. ( little did we know our contact infro would come in handy later ) Driss Dave-Lynn- Sondra had enough of dirt and took to highway back to TJ.

Eric -Bruce- and I took Compadre road back to Tecate. We stooped in Ojos to cool off, had lunch in front of a air conditoner. Some one stole Eric,s goggles from his bike.

The bike was right in front of us and we did not see it happen. He bought some cheep sunglasses. Its hot feels like 100.

Off and on we see Cynthea and Henry making their way back to their truck. Poor Cynthea has blisters but still has the biggest smile on her face.

We get to the end of Compadre rd and no Eric. We were just ready to backtrack and here he comes , missed a turn and found the bridge to nowhere.

We see a big fire and start to get worry that we are going to get stranded in Baja. But all is good and the roads were open. Saw a huge four engine air tanker.

SDARMikesTrip024.jpg

Great adventure and pics...Thanks.....props to you all...hope the guy gets a rescue ok....Ken you are a great story teller...I loved the teaser post....

sondra....girl...you have guts,,,way to go...

LABV you asked?..maybe?......lots more sand I think !..(much easier on my bike)...we shall see....

(Too much risk for my taste to ride down in Mexico, maybe after I explore more of the USA and things settle down south of the border ?)

Story lines

Is their a chase truck in Santo Tomas

So we all make it back across the boarder safe and sound.

A lot of miles for a weekend ride.Adds up fast.

SDARMikesTrip025.jpg

When Sondra gets home she get a message from Shaun ( Airhead rider ) that he is broken down in Santo Tomas.

The rescue party is formed thanks to Sondra and Dave is off collecting him right now.

So thats it for my story. Thanks to all the fellow riders that chipped in when the going was rough.

The noise was from a big rockslide or earthquake.

Shauns bike has electrical problems. ( I think it broke down in Mexicalli last week also --poor guy --but a real adventure for him ) Also is getting a oil leak.

Leisurely Ride? lol :D Sounds like fun. A little bit of work with some leisure is good. That sand looks pretty fun though, like roller skating on a shag carpet?

SDARMikesTrip019.jpg

I've never been down there riding yet, maybe one day . . . Thanks for posting! B)

For those of us that were there for the first time, Laguna Hanson, Compadre trail, and Mike's were WAY more impressive than expected. For those that haven't ever gone.....you should. I want to head back as soon as I can.

Laguna Hanson and early morning at Mike's;

post-458-028880500 1285648232_thumb.jpg

post-458-005664400 1285648259_thumb.jpg

post-458-040401400 1285648405_thumb.jpg

post-458-004527000 1285648516_thumb.jpg

post-458-075912400 1285648597_thumb.jpg

Back from Santo Tomas... I have been done this road recently. I am way too tired to do a write-up tonight. Fun trip, great people and I love traveling in Mexico, viva Mexico!

FYI, Dakar rider Sean & bike are back in the U.S.

THanks for the writeup....It's great. I love the drive to Laguna Hansen vai La Rumarosa. Been down there many times camping and rock climbing in Canyon Tajo with my 4x4. Would love to do it on a bike. (Maybe not on the hottest day of the year). Count me in next time. Thanks so much for sharing. BTW....my kind of leisure..

Glad to here that Shaun made it back across the border. What a great group of riders this site has.

Back from Santo Tomas... I have been done this road recently. I am way too tired to do a write-up tonight. Fun trip, great people and I love traveling in Mexico, viva Mexico!

FYI, Dakar rider Sean & bike are back in the U.S.

Thanks your all your efforts--Did you have fish tacos ?

I am prett well beat up, the GS Adv will need some serious love... but not until Lyn gets her fair share of back and foot rubs, nice dinners out, and shopping days.

I can say this, I knew she was awesome, but she proved to me once again that there is nobody on this planet more loving than her. You guys heard the stories, now imagine that from the back seat when you can barely see over the riders shoulders!

Thusrday and Friday we go back and forth over if she should go (last minute jitters on my part) Saturday morning she is up and dressed before me! Skipping the stuff already mentioned about getting to Laguna Hanson (mostly easy riding and meetin new people) I can tell you about the first crash Lyn and I have ever had together; but a little background first.

Lyn has been on my SBK racebike with me, she has done thousands of miles on my Fz1, and many more on the Adv even some extensive dirt (note I said dirt not sand). That first water crossing was our first sign of trouble. I knew the bridge was out, it has been out forever, but the water was higher than I expected. No worries, we love the water... the Adv does not. We go stright the middle, the deep part, I have to give some of our newer guys confidence. I get in the bike is plowing and we are snugged up behind the bow shock... the the water hits the shore and comes back at the bike inches from dry land, I dont make it and water pours into the intake causing instant stoppage with one wheel dry and one wheel sinking fast. I get Lyn to bail off as I frantically try to get the bike to pump the water and restart. Bruce and Eric (DRZ and XR400) come through in shallower water setup on the shore and start taking pics (Post 'em fellas!) All I really want is not to sink the back wheel all these guys want is Pics! Anyway the group gets across and the Adv restarts we are off again. From this point forward it only gets harder....

I almost never struggle with water crossings, this should have been a sign....

A few more miles and we are clipping along very well on hard pack with some loos sand here and there when out of nowhere comes DEEP sand. To say it was a mile deep ould be an exageration, but it sure seemed like it was, My best guess is about 12-18" if I am totally hosed up someone correct me.

We are on the right side of the rut doing about 35mph when we hit the sand, the went to full left lock we are now in BMW tractor mode whacking the throttle trying to keep her moving forward so we are not sent over the highside... this works... for about 1.5 seconds until we cross into the middle ridge of the sand. The bars then go full lock the other way, we are now totally hosed, the throttle is pinned and the back end whips around until we are perpendicular to the direction of travel I am leaned hto rider right and hoping we fall on the low side... We do. The impact was jarring, but no injuries are found because of one simple rule of crashing an airhead:

Keep you feet on the pegs.

The cases and the engine take th full brunt of the fall, Ln and I just slide out unscathed, physically that is. The right side case is toast, I used half my zipties (and I carry alot) patcving it up. The only thing damages is my mental state and that will cause more trouble than a damages bike ever could...

Damaged Mental state...

I was so worried abtou dropping Lyn again, I was riding thinking about falling. We all know that if think you will fall it is inevitable that you will fall.

On the road into Mikes, we fly through the easy first run, but Leg #2 is all sand (more on that later) We fall three more times in a seven mile stretch, nothing fast and twice we were not even moving, I just stepped into soft sand and fell over. Very Embarassing. Lyn is severely dehydrated and hungry, she only drank 40oz of water all day. I was watching her and thought she had refilled her camelback, she barely got halfway through it! The final run into Mikes is the rocky stuff, yes it is easy, but suspected this would be the problem (I had forgottenthat late in the summer sand would be an issue) for most. We plowed through, never dropping below 3rd gear, I knew she had to get into someplace with water and a bed to lay down on. It was here another Adv blows by me (BMW Photog), just before the final water crossing. At fist I thought he was Ken comming to tell me someone was hurt... I was very happy it was NOT Ken.

After that we had dinner, beers, and good times. I will post pics when I find my camera charger.

Until then I want to see what you guys have! Surely we have more pics of our failures and successes.

Alas, we all made it home safe, that in itself was a success.

Be on the look out for another Leisurely Ride to Mikes (now with 50% less sand!) in the commming months, and maybe even another Big Bikes to Mikes Ride in the winter.

The report for Rescue Mission: Santo Tomas is forthcomming... as soon as I find the charger for my camera...D'oh!