jbw

Headset testing

Does anybody live near La Jolla who has a Ham radio (2m 1.25m or 70cm) or can reach sharps hospital repeater (http://www.wb6wlv.com/repeaters/index.html). I do not have any way to listen to a broadcast of mine and I am not sure if it is even working on the most basic level. After initial testing/ debugging I can work out other issues on the trail... but I would like to make sure it at least has the basic functionality working.

Thanks,

jbw

Does anybody live near La Jolla who has a Ham radio (2m 1.25m or 70cm) or can reach sharps hospital repeater (http://www.wb6wlv.co...ters/index.html). I do not have any way to listen to a broadcast of mine and I am not sure if it is even working on the most basic level. After initial testing/ debugging I can work out other issues on the trail... but I would like to make sure it at least has the basic functionality working.

Thanks,

jbw

Not sure if I can hit it, but I can listen and I'n awake at this awful hour. When?

Looks like I can hit the repeater, but need to adjust the pl tone. Let me know If/when you can qso.

Wb6Qwd

Does anybody live near La Jolla who has a Ham radio (2m 1.25m or 70cm) or can reach sharps hospital repeater (http://www.wb6wlv.com/repeaters/index.html). I do not have any way to listen to a broadcast of mine and I am not sure if it is even working on the most basic level. After initial testing/ debugging I can work out other issues on the trail... but I would like to make sure it at least has the basic functionality working.

Thanks,

jbw

I can help you out. PM me and I or you can roll over and do some testing.

Would anybody be ready to give it a test this afternoon sometime after 7pm? First test will be with it not on my helmet then when functionality is confirmed I will attach to helmet (probably will take an hour) and try to test the mic with wind/engine noise. I fully expect the current mic to not preform well as it is not noise canceling but will provide a baseline.

Thanks,

jbw

IMG_20100923_100012.jpg

Would anybody be ready to give it a test this afternoon sometime after 7pm? First test will be with it not on my helmet then when functionality is confirmed I will attach to helmet (probably will take an hour) and try to test the mic with wind/engine noise. I fully expect the current mic to not preform well as it is not noise canceling but will provide a baseline.

Sorry, can't make it- date night, and the French restaurant takes a narrow view of ham radio chatter. The French are so fussy, you know.

But.

Please, please reconsider using a non-noise canceling mic. YOU may not notice a difference, but those riding with you certainly will. You will be difficult to understand WHILE BEING VERY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS at the same time.

Please?sad.gif

Paul- you need to get a noise canceling mic too :coolio:

Aw, see how I'm treated here? king.gif

Paul- you need to get a noise canceling mic too :coolio:

Aw, see how I'm treated here? king.gif

volume_dials.jpg

Sorry, can't make it- date night, and the French restaurant takes a narrow view of ham radio chatter. The French are so fussy, you know.

But.

Please, please reconsider using a non-noise canceling mic. YOU may not notice a difference, but those riding with you certainly will. You will be difficult to understand WHILE BEING VERY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS at the same time.

Please?sad.gif

I already have some noise canceling mic's and will only take a minute to solder on. I just want to start with the most basic and see how it performs just as a baseline. Not even to take on any rides.

Excellent. You riding companions will thank you. Trust me, it's not just a little difference, it's really loud and nearly as obnoxious as Bikeslut.

If any of you who've bothered to get a ham license can hit the Otay repeater, try to call today between about 930 and noon. I'm riding near there today.

Wb6Qwd

Looks like a complicated setup. I have been trying to (and completed) a setup last night that runs my Scala setup and my Ham Radio into the same earphones. Now I have to figure out the mics and how to get all the connections smaller and less exposed wires. Right now it looks like I have taped a rats nest to the back of my helmet.

But.

Please?sad.gif

Does Paul still sing on the radio? THAT's loud and obnoxious! If you are looking for a really good noise cancelling mic that really works this is the one I use:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=PNR-3539-ND

Performance is just about on par with the Avcomm headset.

If you are looking for a really good noise cancelling mic that really works this is the one I use:

THanks the ones I have currently are not good enough. I was thinking about buying the same mic used on the ones sold by Rugged radios but this looks like it may be even better. Have you tried using this while on a motorcycle?

Does Paul still sing on the radio? THAT's loud and obnoxious!

:coolio:

just when we thought this thread was getting back on track :lol:

Looks like a complicated setup. I have been trying to (and completed) a setup last night that runs my Scala setup and my Ham Radio into the same earphones. Now I have to figure out the mics and how to get all the connections smaller and less exposed wires. Right now it looks like I have taped a rats nest to the back of my helmet.

It is not that complicated and well worth saving 175 dollars. I cannot belive how much the companies are selling headsets for.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/race-racing-communications-store/details/293/56/dirt-bike/motorcycle/browse-by-application/mc-basic.html

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-650001/Radio,+Helmet+Radio+System

If you are looking for a really good noise cancelling mic that really works this is the one I use:

THanks the ones I have currently are not good enough. I was thinking about buying the same mic used on the ones sold by Rugged radios but this looks like it may be even better. Have you tried using this while on a motorcycle?

Extensively. I have an Avcomm (same/similar to Rugged Radios) as well. Several riders in our group use the Digikey mic and honestly it's pretty close to the Avcomm and way better than the average el cheapo nc mic. Very clear audio at speed on the bike.

Does Paul still sing on the radio? THAT's loud and obnoxious!

:coolio:

just when we thought this thread was getting back on track :lol:

LOL. I haven't ridden with Paul for a few years but that aspect sticks vividly in my mind. :D

Awesome I am buying one now.

I should warn you that it comes with enameled magnet wire for the connections so it's a little tricky. Also put a 2.2k resistor in parallel with the mic or it won't trigger the ht's ptt reliably.

Awesome I am buying one now.

I should warn you that it comes with enameled magnet wire for the connections so it's a little tricky. Also put a 2.2k resistor in parallel with the mic or it won't trigger the ht's ptt reliably.

Yeah I saw that in the description, makes it a bit of a pain. But nothing I cannot handle. The headsets I have made already have the 2.2k resistor switched (PTT) in parallel with the mic.

When I was looking for mics earlier I actually had come across this one but at the time discounted it as it is label as 1.3 volts while the radio provides 3 volts. But in the data sheet it indicates that is works up to 10 volts.