klxguy

08 450 exc

the kit comes with really good instructions including variables like exhaust....

AGAIN my suggestion is to call them direct, and give them your personal riding specifics and bike set up {like exhaust} and they will dial in what needle and clip settings and jets to use from the kit...

It is really easy...

Ok, got the JD kit in the mail. Didn't seem to complicated so I went ahead and installed it. The bike already had the 175 main jet and it looked to have the blue needle in it on the third clip already. I replaced it with the new blue needle in the third spot. The pilot jet was a 48 and I replaced it with a 42. The smog stuff was still on the bike. I took all that stuff off and plugged the hole in the head. The o ring mod was already done. I replaced the o ring with the thick one in the kit. The diaphragm in the accelerator pump hadn't been modified. I added the spacer from the kit. Put the new fuel screw in and set it per instructions. 1 1 /8 turns out. Put everything back together. It started just fine and I let it warm up. Took it for a ride and it ran well. The only problem is when the bike sits at idle and you crack the throttle quickly it bogs real bad and even kills the engine in some instances. I would say everywhere else it is spot on. Not sure where to go from here. It s that instant throttle response that I am looking for.

Ok, got the JD kit in the mail. Didn't seem to complicated so I went ahead and installed it. The bike already had the 175 main jet and it looked to have the blue needle in it on the third clip already. I replaced it with the new blue needle in the third spot. The pilot jet was a 48 and I replaced it with a 42. The smog stuff was still on the bike. I took all that stuff off and plugged the hole in the head. The o ring mod was already done. I replaced the o ring with the thick one in the kit. The diaphragm in the accelerator pump hadn't been modified. I added the spacer from the kit. Put the new fuel screw in and set it per instructions. 1 1 /8 turns out. Put everything back together. It started just fine and I let it warm up. Took it for a ride and it ran well. The only problem is when the bike sits at idle and you crack the throttle quickly it bogs real bad and even kills the engine in some instances. I would say everywhere else it is spot on. Not sure where to go from here. It s that instant throttle response that I am looking for.

Go to ktmtalk and look for djh's carb posts. Lots to learn. I learned enough that I just send him the carb.

fakey is djh the same magician as thumper talks..dave hopkins? carb genius right there...

klx...did you call JDjet directly....the kit said blue needle in 3rd clip position, but when i called they said red needle with clip in 5th....i would start with a call to them and tell them what it is doing...they are VERY helpful and obviously pretty sharp.

I checked the DJH guy, it is Dave Hopkins. He sounds like he really knew what he was talking about. Just don't want to ship the carb to Washington. I haven't got a chance to call JD. Didn't get the kit until late Friday. If I don't get this sorted out tomorrow, I will call them on Monday.

im sure it is just a fuel screw adjustement, or pilot jet or needle clip setting, something simple.

after you get the bog fixed, if you dont have quite the snap in the throttle you want, the fix for my bike was a moose aluminum throttle tube with the swappable cable cams. I ran the quickest cam and it really gave it the snap in throtle response like a MX bike has.

I have raced for many years and was used to a 1/4 turn throttle. The ktm stock came with an almost 1/2 turn throttle which really made the response feel sluggish to me. Putting the quick turn on it gave it that MX bike snap i wanted....very nice, cheap and quick addition to the bike

here is a link

http://www.mawonline.com/newsite/moose-throttle_tubes.htm

I'd talk to JD and garage tuning is different than actually riding the bike. That bog may not be a problem on the trail.

It will be interesting to see what club members recommend as a fix. When I was faced with an accelerator pump bog issue, like you are discribing, I set the fuel screw as recommended, then turned the fuel screw adjuster down until the bog went away. I was trying to cut fuel down during the throttle snap. I have been told by club members that my bike sounds lean. I don't know. The bog disappeared. I am probably compensating for an additional problem. (?????)

My bike is a '02 KTM 520 exc.