Sign in to follow this  
dirtdiva

2009 Husky TE 310 - Service Manual ?

I did the break-in ride for my new bike this weekend (which I totally love, btw) so now I have to start maintaining this thing - love to ride, hate to maintain. Was not too impressed with the owners manual - ok in some areas, not so much in others (I think whoever translated it into English didn't have a very good command of our language B) ) Anyway, I'm looking for a service manual with details on things like torque specs and valve checks and adjustments, etc. Anyone know where I can find something like that???

congrats diva...im stoked you love your new bike....look on the internet...a guy on thumper talk emailed me a full shop manual on a download for free..it is awesome

I'm pretty sure that you can order the disk through a local dealer. I bought my TE from Moto Forza and they offered to order one for me when I inquired. I just don't like disks. I'm kind of old fashioned and I like to get my manual out there and thumb through while I am working, and set it down on the workbench or on the bike. I don't like the idea of getting grease all over a laptop :rolleyes: or having to print pages up and trot them out. :coolio:

I'm pretty sure that you can order the disk through a local dealer. I bought my TE from Moto Forza and they offered to order one for me when I inquired. I just don't like disks. I'm kind of old fashioned and I like to get my manual out there and thumb through while I am working, and set it down on the workbench or on the bike. I don't like the idea of getting grease all over a laptop :rolleyes: or having to print pages up and trot them out. :coolio:

I would rather have a "paper" manual also, however I don't know of anyone making one for the newer Huskies. I don't think they are even available to the dealers at this point.

paper manuals are great but can be really expensive...with an online or CD manual..you just look up all of the pages you will need for the current project and print them...if the get greasy just reprint later...i hated the idea at first but i love it now

I did download a manual for a 2008 TE 250-510 online and it looks very thorough. Do you think I can use this for my 2009 - I dont think they changed much from 08 to 09????

I ordered one from here. http://www.halls-cycles.com/

It is on disk, runs around $15, and has come in handy many times for me. The local dealers may have it also. :) Ken

I got one from Hall`s for free after all the aggravation from my leaking IMS tanks. Great shop to deal with.

We don`t even have the Toyota books at the dealer now, it`s all online.

I have used disks for several different vehicles. For my Indian I printed the disk to paper and put the 300 pages (one side only) into a notebook. That way I have the best of both worlds. And when the paper gets dirty/oil stained I just print out a new page. :P

i think the 08 and 09 are the same as far as working on it goes...maybe some of the suspension setting are different and stuff but "how to fix it" is the same...should be fine...check with robertacio or rex they are husky guys

the 250 4T motors (your 310 base motor) are pretty much the same as far as oil changes,airfilter, valve adjustments go simple up keep is standard and easy on these bikes.

06-07 08-09 will be good to use the manuals for all those years.

PS You have one of the best of the best small DS machines, its a no compromise trail bike and the 310 adds to the bike big time. Had to say that again.

I thought they changed some things in the 09 motors. Didn't they go away from the clip retainer and sliding rocker arms in 09? I thought they also changed some things with the oil system. The exhaust and ecu are different. Personally I would get an 09 manual just to be safe. $15 bucks is a small price to pay for knowing it is the correct manual you are using. Could save you time and money in the long run. $.02 :) Ken

PS You have one of the best of the best small DS machines, its a no compromise trail bike and the 310 adds to the bike big time. Had to say that again.

I agree - I LOVE this bike. One question for you regarding the break-in and the O2 sensor. Is it really that important to leave this in for the break-in miles. I heat cycled the bike on Sunday - 20 min 1/2 throttle, cool 1 hour (this was fun play time with the 250X), 40 min 3/4 throttle. Because it was an early morn dessert trip ran out of time due to the heat so only did 26 miles. Have since taken off the charcoal canister (how ugly was that :rolleyes:), cat. conver. and the O2 sensor (other stuff was never on). Bike runs so much smoother now but I am reading that people are leaving it on for anywhere from 200 to 500 miles. Just how many miles is the breakin for this bike and should I put the sensor back on (but don't really want to cause this bike runs amazing now). Thanks so much for all your great expertise!!

Diane

I did my power up kit when my 08 was new, it voided the warranty. Once the dealer plugs into the ECU they can tell if you have run it without the sensor. I was confident that my dealer would have helped me out if there would have been a problem during the warranty period even though the power up kit technically voided the warranty. Mine came from the factory so lean it would not run well, I did the power up kit as soon as I could. I would rather have it running a little rich (especially during break in)than too lean. I would not hesitate to do it again the same way. My bike didn't loosen up good until I had close to 1000 miles on it. Now it runs much cooler and doesn't stall as easily as it did during the break in period. I followed the easy break in method (as well as I could). Here is the Mototune (quickbreak in) method.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Here is Uptite (Georges) method.

1. It's OK to begin this process with the oil already in the bike.

2. Start the bike and let it idle until the bottom of the radiator gets warm.

*with a new bike and how easily they heat up, this will take less than 5 minutes.

3. Putt around a parking lot at a very low RPM (2000 - 3000) to further warm-up the engine. Once you feel heat from the engine case (?), turn it off and let it cool down and repeat again before proceeding to 4.

*this should take less than 15 minutes.

4. Cruise around the streets or fire/forest roads and do not exceed 4000 RPMs for at least 2 - 3 hours (not necessarily all on one ride). Vary speed/rpms and exercise as many gears as the parameter will allow (less than 4000 RPMs and no lugging/bucking). Just to be sure, don't lug the machine to the point that it starts to buck.

5. After 2 - 3 hours of the above, ride it a little more normally without exceeding 5000 RPMs until 500 to 600 mile of this type of riding has been accomplished.

*change the oil at 50, 150, 250, 350, 450 miles - Spectro Offroad 4 20w50 Petrolium.

*clean 3 filters with gas

*change paper filter, cut open to inspect and use a paper towel to clean out the housing area for the paper filter - this will collect metal bits and whatnot the best.

6. At 600 miles clean the filters, change the paper filter and inspect and change oil to Spectro Offroad 4 Petroleum/Synthetic Blend and be careful on your next ride.

*at this point you can do the power-up kit, race gas blend, etc etc.

:) Ken

omg...you guys are soooo conservative on break ins....

in 40 years of riding/racing i have had almost no engine trouble on bikes i have bought new and broke in myself...here is my break method, successful dozens and dozens of times....

1} warm up new bike at idle speed...choke on speed, turn off choke and rev motor up slowly to a few thousand rpms, not holding it at the rpms...1/4-1/3 throttle max...shut off and let cool completely

2} repeat step 1 with the post warm-up revs moving up to 1/2-3/4 throttle blips...10 blips or so, the cool down again....cool downs take 20-30 minutes depending on weather etc..

3} same warm procedure, then ride the bike around the block/camp/track without hard acceleration of high rpms, no heavy loading...ride for a few minutes...cool down again....

4} warm up again, ride bike around and, this time at moderate throttle burst, but not sustaining the throttle for more than a few seconds, 3/4 throttle ish...cool down, change oil

5} race the bike like someone else paid for it....never a problem...take 1.5-2 hours total

might sound crazy to some of you...but my bikes have regularly dynoed higher than factory numbers in stock form...

vance & hines dynoed my 87 gsxr750 a few weeks after i got it, while it was still stock, as a baseline for future mods....it pulled 3 more HP than any other 87 gsxr750s they had tested. and that bike, like all my others, never had an engine failure....

it works for me try it or not...

anyone ever watch twist the throttle...almost every bike they show get built get warmed up and straight to a dyno for full pulls on the high performance bikes...ducatis, ninjas, gsxrs, aprillias...etc

good enuf for the factory...good enuf for me

ever watch a race team rebuild a top end or even a whole motor...warm it then race it....good enuf for me