Hate breaking my pet ####.

Huh. Won't let me post that.

Hate breaking my pet rooster.

A bit more info...by Keith Code: (As Randy posted above)

Bio

Champions trained (Guys like Wayne Rainey)

"A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding. Pg 85"

Using the outside peg as your pivot point--while pressure is being applied to the bars, either by just pushing or using a combination of push and pull--reduces your weight on the seat and puts the majority of your weight on that lower, outside peg.

Doesn't putting weight on the outside peg make the bike try to stand up? Not at all: Don't forget the gyro effect from the wheels.

In fact, since your weight is now closer to the center of mass for the machine, the bike is much easier to steer. Technically, I understand, the bike rotates around the center of mass, so the more of the total weight that can be put at or close to the center of mass, the better. This is part of the stability factor as well. Your body is not acting like a satellite, far away from that center. The center of mass is the part of the bike that moves the least so getting your weight closer to it means you have to move that weight less distance. Your body actually does move but the bike "thinks" its closer to the center because the peg is weighted, instead of the seat, tank or some other part.

Watch those guys in the corner with the DVR so you can rewind a bunhca times. Would they be able to swing their knee in/out if that leg was heavily weighted on the inside in the turn?? I guess I'll just leave it at that. I'm not trying to start an argument here, people do things their own way and if it works for you, don't change it. Don't fix what ain't broke.

this one of the things i love most about riding...there is NO one way to do everything on a motorcycle.

compare railing a berm to squaring up an inside line, very different body positions.

or planting into a deep corner rut, you are NOT gonna roll your cheek up on the side of the seat like you are on a tight inside line.

there are different styles and techniques for different times.

safe riding...practice different styles at moderate speeds and find what works best for you and under what conditions...carefully of course...

rubber side down is the right way to ride... ;)

I'm not trying to start an argument here

hmmmmmmmmmm.....right.....:lol:

Reg teaches a less technical/everyman approach.....works for me, then again, I don't even own a road bike anymore (insert blinking icon here).....whatever.......I'll agree to disagree on this one as it pertains to the everyday street rider.........

Reg teaches a less technical/everyman approach.....works for me, then again, I don't even own a road bike anymore (insert blinking icon here).....whatever.......I'll agree to disagree on this one as it pertains to the everyday street rider.........

Well the question was posed about MotoGP and Rossi kicking a leg out...your road experience/teachings and aggressive street riding style is going to differ from MotoGP greatly.

Well the question was posed about MotoGP and Rossi kicking a leg out...

Yeah....I know.....

I'm no racer, but I'd say it's a blocking move

OK here we go...

1) Road Racers weight the OUTSIDE peg, try weighting the inside peg at 120+ mph in a corner (and don't mean on the freeway), if you live to tell me about it, I will listen intently and bring you flowers in the hospital.

2) The leg out has been discussed heavily for the last few years and it does seem to be more mental than anything. However, the top level racers (WSS, WSBK, GP AMA) I have spoken to who do it believe they get more pressure on the outside peg or actually, they believe they are pressing the outside peg so hard that it is natural for the inside leg to lift and hang.

I have tried this method on the track at TDs and Race weekend practice sessions. I cannot get used to to feeling and saw decreases in corner speed (LiDar) and as such laptimes when doing so.

Note: I have never won an AMA SBK, DSK, or AMA SS race. However I have won my fair share or expert level races and championships both on the regional and national level. SO I am not a slouch on the track but I am NOT in the same league (let alone ballpark) as the really fast guys.

http://salastial.com/uploads/images/thumbs_detail/2008_08_20_04_37_56_wallpaper_road_04_1600x1200.jpg

here is a photo the one of the greatest...eddie lawson...leaned in right...right{inside} foot ON the PEG and his LEFT {OUTSIDE} foot NOT even ON the peg...clearly shows the peg and shifter below his foot...i rest my case...it happens...

not ALWAYS, in EVERY situation, do you weight the outside peg...

:huh: im watching motoGP 125 right now and have seen many guys hanging off in the rain with their outside foot off of the peg trying to keep the bike more verticle in the wet...havent noticed anyone hanging the inside foot off like rossi and stoner...that is my original question....why do some and NOT so many others?

:)

Rain is a very different monster. You will weight the inside peg in the rain (or other situations) to break the rear wheel loose in order to steer with the rear wheel. It is not common.

Furthermore, Newer technology uses different techniques. Not that long ago people did not put their knee out to guage extreme lean angle, they did not drag elbows for the same purpose either.

You are correct that not all situations are the same, I have spoken with and raced against some top teir guys and they (for the most part) all agree the inside foot comming up is because of transfering so much weight to the outside peg and the inside leg wanting to come up as a result, hanging it out is just natural result.

Quoting Rossi whe asked why he does it:

"It feels like it helps the bike turn into the corner better".

it is a weird technique to me....if either of my feet come off of a peg on a street bikei feel like something has gone wrong.

i prefer to throw a little hip inside to get it to turn in rather than throw out a leg....that does come natural in the dirt tho

that pic of eddie is not in the rain, and it is on turn in, pre-apex...different techniques for different situations...

i respect steelies and streegs opions and input, but i also know i have and still do use weight on the inside peg in some situations while sport bike riding and during my handful of road races i competed in way back when...

speaking of crashing...did anyone see randy DePuniets crash 4 weeks ago...man that was big, and amazing to be back so quick :o

I was told/read recently that it was Rossi's way to psyche the other guys out. 'why is he doing that? Does he know something i don't?"

Now everyone's doing it.