B) In case anyone is interested...

I got another chance to ride the KTM350SX this past weekend. I felt I really needed to give this bike another try since my two lap demo of the bike at Pala last month. I was kind of disappointed that day. But, I thought, maybe it is just bike set up, or .... maybe just me.

So, I ride it again on my track. Different bike, but mostly stock, since it is a magazine test bike. Now I know I am disappointed. This bike does nothing for me. It didn't handle very well (not confidence inspiring anyway). I was not impressed with the 350 motor. It wasn't very flickable like a 250. I rode four laps and was done.

If I was going to spend 8-9K on a motocross bike, I would get the 450 instead of this. Sorry, KTM fans. That's just my opinion (and a few other people I know B) ).

My KTM 450 EXC handles way better than this bike on the track.

Oh, but there is one great thing about this bike---ELECTRIC START!

My next bikes

YZ 250 two stroke '08-10

YZF 450 2010

Too bad- you hear of the engine and HOPE you get the torque you need, in a light weight package

I have heard similar reviews elsewhere...maybe they'll sort it out

So, I ride it again on my track. Different bike, but mostly stock, since it is a magazine test bike. Now I know I am disappointed. This bike does nothing for me. It didn't handle very well (not confidence inspiring anyway). I was not impressed with the 350 motor. It wasn't very flickable like a 250. I rode four laps and was done.

If I was going to spend 8-9K on a motocross bike, I would get the 450 instead of this. Sorry, KTM fans. That's just my opinion (and a few other people I know B) ).

My KTM 450 EXC handles way better than this bike on the track.

Oh, but there is one great thing about this bike---ELECTRIC START!

Yah I think you are right! My EXC was more fun to ride. This is why I chose the 150sx over all the bikes we rode that day. Best of the bunch!

i havent ridden it yet...i want to really bad, just to say i have, and to form my own opinion. But everyone I have talked to, and people i respect, like christi, are not impressed.

oddly enough, like you say, the 450sx is incredible. a really good bike.

but i dont think any bike has anything on the 2010 yz450...omg...my buddy bought one...rip your arms off power and smooth delivery....a little flat feeling in the middle, but i dont actually think it is flat...more like great in the middle just not AS great as the top and bottom end power...and i have ALWAYS loved kyb suspension..so the yz suspenders feel great to me....

i too, would love another yz250 2t...just stinking fun to ride

Good to here honest opinions, I have heard from some others similar disappointment but still others that were amazed how good the 350 package is. Maybe it is just overly sensitive to setup or too many folks hoping it would be a magic formula and not wanting to knock something new, time will tell I guess. Maybe in another year after they fix first year hiccups and come out with an XCF version I may consider one but for me my 2008 530 EXC is plenty good enough now I have sorted it out for green sticker/DS use.

I blew my wad and bought one of these things. its the 6 speed xc version with offroad suspension, 18" wheel, and 2.5gal tank. I'm not a track rider and have never owned a true race bike before so my perspective may be completely off from others who have ridden the sx version. the first day I rode it I didn't feel that great on it. The front end felt too twitchy and light. The bike felt very tall, and I was scared to ride it hard. And in technical rock step situations I was stalling. On the faster sections, the bike flat out ripped but for slower more technical situations, it was giving me some trouble.

I took it home and decided to do some adjustments. For one, I needed to slow down the steering. I pulled some 18mm offset triple clamps off of my other bike and swapped them out for the stock 22s. This made a huge difference on how the bike steers. It is much more planted feeling and slower to turn. With this change, literally I instantly felt much more aggressive on the bike.

By adjusting the clutch lever to my short fingers, I can really easily slip the clutch on this bike. The clutch feels smoother than any of the other bikes I've owned. Maybe its just because its new, I don't know. But it never gets grabby. It just slips in and out of engagement like butter. That pretty much took care of any stalling issues I was having. The bike has very little crank mass and 13.5:1 compression so you have to use the clutch in the rocks. Once you get it working right for your hands, it doesn't require any though to do so. I haven't stalled the bike at all the last 3 rides I've done and we have done some pretty technical riding.

As far as the power delivery goes, its instant and its just the right amount. The bike never spins the wheel like a bigger motor which makes it hook up extremely well. You can just gas it hard and it launches forward without ever breaking traction. The dyno curves look like a perfectly straight line rising from 1K to 13K rpms. It is very smooth linear power delivery. You don't really have to shift on this thing if you don't want to. It puts out HUGE power on the top end. The only issue I have with this is that if you do manage to find a place straight enough to wind it all the way up, you let off and there is a lot of engine braking. probably normal for all 4T? They could have lowered redline and moved some of that power lower in the rpm range but still I'd say this is easily the best motor I've ever tried. The gear box is wide enough to top 90 and 1st is low enough to ride the nasty single tracks. A slightly lower 1st would not be a bad thing, but it already has lower gearing that my 300 in 1st. The difference is the crank weighs about half as much. I have taken the bike out to the biggest hill climbs I know of and it eats them for lunch so its definitely not anemic in any way. The bike has plenty of juice for my 180lbs. Any more power would just be tiring.

the suspension on the bike is also night and day better than my pds bikes. I was able to bottom it out once on a flat landing. For the small rocks, it works great. its super plush and I haven't changed the clickers other than 1 click more compression in the forks. The shock is very long and hangs low for the linkage. That is an issue for offroad. Although I've already drug this bike through the rock gardens and to my surprise, the linkage isn't scratched up at all yet. The shock has high speed and low speed compression adjusters. For offroad 1st-4th gear type riding, is pretty much dead on for someone my size out of the box. For desert racing, its going to need a little high speed comp in the rear. For the trail riding I've done so far, I would go as far as to say the suspension is near perfect. things that would make me cringe on my other ktms, this bike just take it without deflecting at all.

as far as how it feels, I'm surprised if someone would say it doesn't feel flickable. weight being one of the major advantages of the 2Ts. It feels extremely light to me (it actually weights about 10lbs less than my 300exc. I can toss it side to side easier than any other bike I've ever ridden with possibly the exception of a 125/200cc 2Ts.

the fuel injection is great so far. no hickups anywhere, just dead on fuel delivery. one of the prerequisites for buying this bike was to have the dealer unplug the battery and let me kick start the bike to see if it would work with a dead battery. Passed that test. Works fine without a battery... I am a bit concerned about getting dirt into the fuel system. Maybe a in line fuel filter is an option.

The motor has dual overhead cams and shims. Its a pain in the ass to work on. More work than an RFS style 4T and way more work than a 2T. I rather do a valve adjustment on my wifes honda civic then this thing. I miss screw driver and lock nut adjusters. So it isn't going to get much praise in this department. On the other hand, thats the price you pay to own a 4T that handles like a 2T and redlines at 13,000...

The price tag was huge. I felt sick after buying it. Its way more money than any dirt bike should cost especially one they couldn't get a green sticker for. :( So that is another negative for the bike. But after having ridden it for 10+ hours now, I can honestly say it was worth every penny. Anyone is welcome to try the bike if you see me on the trail.

now I'm going to go adjust my valves :crying_anim02:

Thanks for the awesome report!

I have been wondering about the XC version.

Very sad it is not green sticker though!

heres another ride report from some guy on the east coast taken off the ktm blog. I found this after posting mine, similar feedback.

Ok, i got around 11 hours on the bike and wanted to give everyone my impression on the bike and my set up. All riding was done at Brushy Mountain Motorsports park in NC. BMMP terrain consists of tight, rutty, rocky, and rooty single track, some smooth single track, your average groomed and natural double trail, and a vast amount of hills and elevation changes.

First items I addressed on bike: Installed Renthal Twin walled bars(997) as the stock felt awlkward, Installed EE Skid Plate and Rad braces, Saccs(sp)mapping switch, GPR V4 Stabilizer with bar mounts, FMF RCT slip-on, and Pro bend handquards. I also rerouted the breather hose to the airbox area to prevent water from being sucked into the motor.

Overall impression: BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED OR RIDDEN - EXCELLENT....

Prev. bikes: 96yz125,96rm250,2000yz125,04crf250,06rm250,07crf450,08rmz250-290,09ktm200..

The bike handles phenomenal. It always feels planted, turns on a dime, and tracks great. Im not exactly sure if it is due to the new frame, it being a four stroke, or the suspension(linkage), but it suits me perfectally at 165lb. On the single track it is very flickable, nimble, and reacts well to square edged rocks and slick roots. On the open trail i had no issues with bottoming or g-ing out and the bike responds very well to imput from the rider. No surprises or tank slappers. The clickers were left stock with the exception of the rebound in the fork being adjusted in two clicks to slow it down. Perhaps as the bike breaks in more I might go stiffer on the clickers.

The bikes power , to me, is absolutely perfect and the fuel injection is spot on everywhere. The bottom end is stronger than most seem to give it credit for and the mid through the top flat out rips. Way more bottom than my 290, tons more than the 200, and mid to top end pull is "comparable" to a 450. As many have said; if you want the big bore torque and all up in your face low end POW go with the 450 or 500's. Otherwise, the 350 is perfect for those who want more than a 250/290 but not as much as a 450/500's.The delivery is hard to explain, but linear is all that comes to mind, but in a very exciting way. The gearing might be a little tall for slower riders in the tight stuff (add two teeth to the rear) , but perfect for quicker riders. I do not plan to change the gearing.

The mapping switch did change the motors manners and i found myself riding the bike in the mild mode in the single track and used the aggressive mode for racing/double trail. If I had to choose one mapping position it would be in the aggressive mode and left untouched under the seat.

I never rode the bike enough with the stock silencer to give an honest opinion, but the FMF RCT is good, but loud without the sparky insert. I tried it with and without the insert and could tell a little bit of a power loss with it in but not enough to make a difference. I chose to keep it in and save our riding areas.

To sum it all up, i would highly recommend this bike to anyone and plan on selling the 200 and 290 soon. I let a friend of mine ride it over the weekend and she went and bought the last one today from our dealer. I do not know how to post pics or i would insert one here....

I am a bit concerned about getting dirt into the fuel system. Maybe a in line fuel filter is an option.

now I'm going to go adjust my valves :crying_anim02:

There should be a really nice fuel pump inlet filter inside the tank. Pull the pump out and take a look or maybe you can peer down inside the tank and see it.

An inline filter is not an option as you'd be cutting a high pressure fuel line. The good news is a little grain of sand won't pass through the injector nozzle like a grain of sand will pass through and monkey up a carb/engine.

Don't worry so much about the valves. After the first check, if it starts well and doesn't make any strange valvetrain noise, you're probably alright.

truth is the thing was designed with lots of input from Everts (10x FIM MX champ) and is mostly successful when ridden like a F1 car by this little Sicilian guy.

Nice report, interesting you prefer the 18mm offset clamps, I like the 22mm clamps on my 300's and have no problems with them being too quick or anything else, but thats with PDS rear.

No need to worry about the valves they jus don't move, check them reasonably regular until you get bored then less frequent, your likely to need new rings and/or piston before valves need adjusting.

I hear you do have to be careful after removing tank not to get dirt into open fuel line as that could clog the injector so seems best way is to cover end of open pipe as soon as its removed with something to prevent anything getting in while it is being worked on.

Have not ridden the 350. I have read alot and hear it is better in the XC set-up than SX. I also hear the XCF-W version should be out in 2012 which will be green sticker.