Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Dynamite

Aerial Photos

Supper cool picture! I had one of those jumped in front of me while riding a single track at Corral Canyon some years ago... that was an awesome experience! Keep them coming Doc...

San Ysidro Port of Entry

Posted Image

Tijuana on the right, double border fences in the middle, USA on the left. That's Otay Mesa in the background.

Great photos. Views of areas many wll never have the chance to see otherwise.

Just east of the Port of Entry along the railroad crossing, possibly within the fence of Mexico, is one of the original "big" border monuments. I wanted to take a closer look one day but it is obscured on the ground and access is limited. Have you seen it? I know it was moved at least once due to contruction of the current Port of Entry, but it should still be there: BM255 - N32.5427 W117.02701 / 138 ft elev.

Posted Image

http://www.digthatcrazyfarout.com/oldtj/boundary/

OK here it is. I'm the owner of the bike and I was the one who eventually extracted the bike. Sunday myself and 5 friends headed from south bay to the Barret Cafe. 7 miles from Barret / 3 miles in from the 3-6 tank the bottom end packs up and leaves. Hop on the back of Ron Spicer's R100GS and bum a ride back to San Diego. I get the pickup from the shop (San Diego BMW Motorcycles...where I work) and head back to Barret. One problem...the gate is locked now and I can't get the truck in. I head back to the border patrol checkpoint on 94 to ask the agent on duty if he could have the gate opened for me. "not for you or anyone else" was his reply. Back to San Diego. 2AM I go back to Barret and have a friend with a set of keys to the gate slated to meet me at the bike at 7AM. I hike in. 1.5 miles in an agent actually comes up from behind me in a pickup truck and hopp's out. He asks me something in Spanish which I assume was "what the hell are you doing out here?" I said hello and that my bike was stuck about 7 miles in and I was here to retrieve it. He says OK and leaves the way he came. About 2.5 - 3 miles in I hear some serious noise slightly to the east of me. If these are people trying to sneak across the border they were making entirely too much noise. It sounded like someone dragging an empty cooler across gravel. My friend said it could have been the group of 17 trying to drag something to cover their tracks. In any case they didn't seem too interested in me and I not in them.

5AM I reach the bike and sit down to hydrate and watch the sun rise. Beautiful. I watch a group of about 20 climb the mountain southeast of me presumably waiting for a chance to cross. 6AM a certain pilot starts doing pretend chaff and flair circles around the area. Doesn't seem too interested in me. 7AM friend shows up in a truck...ready for this.....with a cap on the bed. Bike doesn't fit. I have to be to work soon so I leave the bike again. 10PM that night I arrive at Barret Junction this time in a pickup truck, 400EX in the back, commandeered best friend in the passenger seat and 4 tow straps. We ride the EX 2-up in to the bike, hook up the straps and tow all the way to the top. From the top I coast the bike to the road, load bike in truck (sans bed cap) and head home. In bed at 2AM.

Wow, welcome and we try to look out for each other. Interesting adventure.

At least you got it back, the orange bike that is.

Yeah quite the adventure. As for the bike, I haven't even pulled it apart yet. But the last bottom end I put in it lasted about 9,000mi.

10PM that night I arrive at Barret Junction this time in a pickup truck, 400EX in the back, commandeered best friend in the passenger seat and 4 tow straps. We ride the EX 2-up in to the bike, hook up the straps and tow all the way to the top. From the top I coast the bike to the road, load bike in truck (sans bed cap) and head home. In bed at 2AM.

400ex? Is that a Honda quad? That should make all the Honda guys happy. The Honda towed out the KTM. I still miss my 86 250R Quad - loved that Honda. :P But I do love my KTM too. :D It just feels right. :D

Posted Image

Now you can see Barrett Junction on the left hand side of the photo

I think that is referred to as Bee Canyon? There was a homestead in there and you could pick out remnents of an old grove of trees from aerial photos somewhere in there. Apparently no structures left.

GROVE - N32.59734 W116.75096 / 1640 ft

This remote grove planted in rows could possibly mark the old homestead site referenced in http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/2001-3/fries.htm

Look at all that single track! When is the exploration ride going to be? I am in!

Cottonwood Creek

Posted Image

This photo is the same one from my previous post. The curved line shows the approximate route of the flight. The cross through the flight route is about where the picture you're interested in was taken. The red circle is in Bee Canyon.

Thanks for the clarification DD. Nice photos of the grove!! I love picking stuff like that out from aerial photos and then checking them out from the ground if I can.

xr650l bum, there is a property fence just to the left of that little turn around patch in the lower center of the photo. I'm guessing those "single tracks" are just "goat trails" used by international hikers. :unsure:

OOhh! Look at the pretty single track. NO TRESPASSING! OOHH! Look at the bitchin trails. PRIVATE PROPERTY! OOHH! Look at the miles and miles of pristine trails and fire roads. NOT FOR MOTOR VEHICLES!!! DAMN it! Come on DR DYNOMITE! :drinks: Show us were we CAN GO. For the rest of you buzz kills SHUT UP! I mean SHUT UP and ride! http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scratch_one-s_head.gif :party:

OOhh! Look at the pretty single track. NO TRESPASSING! OOHH! Look at the bitchin trails. PRIVATE PROPERTY! OOHH! Look at the miles and miles of pristine trails and fire roads. NOT FOR MOTOR VEHICLES!!! DAMN it! Come on DR DYNOMITE! :party: Show us were we CAN GO. For the rest of you buzz kills SHUT UP! I mean SHUT UP and ride! :drinks:http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif

Settle down. http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scratch_one-s_head.gif

Come on DR DYNOMITE! http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scratch_one-s_head.gif Show us were we CAN GO.

How about that black stuff in the middle of the photo.

Posted Image

You have me mixed up with the BMW,KTM,Vstrom "Adventure riders!" :drinks:

But seriously, I'm trying to express my inner artist. If I could only post photos of riding areas, there would be nothing left for me to post.

Seriously, great pics! DYNOMITE as my brothers say!

Since I'm on the topic of the High Trestle, here's an aerial shot of it.

Posted Image

What about those nice trails?