Wing Nut

Bicycle helmet question

Same as in business working for a corporation......you don't want to be micromanaged? Revenue hides mistakes

Unfortunately, in a society such as we live in. "the man" has a need to micromanage/set laws such as the helmet law.

There are way too many dummies out there that have no regard for their own safety or the safety of others.

There are so many "mistakes" running around in society today and they are able to use the tax money that you and I pay for their health coverage to fix their mistakes if they are lucky enough to make it.....there are laws to keep honest people honest and try do bring dummies and society up to a respectable level.

It confuses those of us who are honest and associate with honest people.

Wing Nut- not sure if I was clear

I agree with you. At the speeds I ride with my kid in a bike trailer, he is pretty safe in his five point harness, and aluminum roll cage. But, its a law, so...

The cop, in my mind, did exactly the right thing...he educated you. He did his job...he informed ýou of the law, and is counting on you to do the right thing and comply. He didn't ticket you or make you walk the bike home. He was a good cop.

To all the people saying "what if?". Yeah...what if I slipped in the shower? Probably happens a thousand times a year...should I wear a helmet? How many head injuries happen in the playground? Driving (er...crashing) cars? Surfing? I know I've cracked my skull ât a swimming pool...

But- I also get "legislating" parents...but I let my kids stand up on boogie boards going down a water slide, so the law is meant for people like me. People let their kids sleep in cars while they are drinking in a bar. Ride in the back of pick-ups. Some people NEED laws to just do the right thing. (That didn't come out right-i don't do the pick up or bar thing...WAIT! That didn't come out right either...never mind)

Skateboarded, roller skated, rode bicycles, rode horses, jumped horses over 3.5 foot fences bareback, rode on the back of motorcycles. All done without helmets or any kind of anti-injury gear. Also jumped on trampolines with no nets and no adult supervision. All of this stuff done with my mother's knowlegde and often encouragement. Now looking back I wonder if she was trying to get rid of me :angel:. Either that or she knew how hard headed I am :beach:.

I flipped a 3 wheeler in 4th gear while heading towards a strand of farm grown pine that were about 1 foot around and 2-3 ft apart, I rolled and shattered my collarbone, no helmet I consider myself really lucky. I've also had a couple minor concussions while learning to snowboard and then when i finally saw people wearing helmets (I didnt even know they had them for that when I was snowboarding) I really wish I had invested in one, to each their own the fact we all survived without them doesn't make it any better.

We all rode in cars without airbags, and most of us at times where seatbelts were not required or only lapbelts. We all survived no car seats and especially not the fancy rear facing ones they have now

We've come a long way since these guys why would you want to go back?

FR476.jpg

Jaynen, you quote me and then ask why would I want to go back? No where in my post did I say I wanted to go back. I was just laughing at my mother for letting me do all that crazy stuff. I love my protective gear and I think half the fun of riding is all the cool stuff we get to wear.

Jaynen asks if we would want to go back to an era before airbags and seatbelts were required. My answer to that is a definite YES.

I wore seat belts before the law and would wear them if we got rid of that law. I hate airbags. They kill people. There are numerous children and small adults killed by the airbag going off. And yes you do not have to tell me that newer airbags are safer. Why do you think you have to put the kids in the backseat? I didn’t mind when they were and option. It is just not an option I want. Originally they were said to be needed because people don’t wear seatbelts. Well I wear my seatbelts so how about letting me take that piece of s@#t out of my jeep.

My basic dislike of these laws is that they restrict our liberties. I am tired of having our liberties chipped away from me. It is the same with riding areas. They are flaking off our liberties from us one chip at a time. This same excuse of saving us from ourselves can be used for anything. Did you know that a full face helmet might save you from injury in an auto accident. Let’s require helmets for everybody inside a motor vehicle. If you are walking and trip you might strike your head and injure yourself. We should make a law requiring helmets for all pedestrians.

Is your child safe from a tumble strapped into a bike trailer surrounded by padded roll bars? Yes more then likely. Should you put a helmet on their head? It wouldn’t hurt. But it is the law in Kalifornia, so get the helmet, I got the airbag.