Sign in to follow this  
Levvy

Help a noob - sliming tubes?

Noob question time - how do I slime my tubes? I'm taking off the stock street rubber the PO left on my KLR and putting on some knobbies soon, so it seems like a good idea to slime the tubes. I'm a total dirt noob and have no idea how to go about doing this. Do I need to do it when I have the tires off or can I do it anytime?

If you're new to the dirt you may want to consider not sliming the tubes, but rather avoid running over things like pucker bushes, sage brush, nails, and cactus. I've been riding in the dirt and racing in the desert for a while and I don't slime, although I know guys that swear by it. I use "ultra heavy duty" tubes and I've also never had a flat, so maybe I'm just lucky :P (or I've just jinxed myself :huh: )

If you have your heart set on sliming, the slime bottles come with a valve stem remover and a fill tube. Deflate the tire, remove the stem, attach the tube and squeeeeeze. Put it back together and go ride.

There is a motorcycle specific bottle for tube tires that has enough to fill two tires. All the directions are on the bottle. It comes with a vinyl filling tube and a combination valve cap / core remover which is a nice tool to keep handy.

Now be careful checking the air pressure from then on. You'll slime up your gauge. Put your valve to 4 or 8 o'clock. Bleed off a tad of air to release any of the slime in the stem, then check your pressure. Another method is to put a pound or two in your tires to clear out the valve before checking the pressure.

When you change your tire take care not to let all the slime out everywhere. It's water soluable, but who needs the mess? The tube doesn't have to be completely flat to pull out, so just take out the majority of air and leave the slime in. Then put the valve core back in to keep the slime from squirting out as you extract the tube. Reuse the tube if you like, but forget trying to salvage the slime to an new tube.

Levvy, Do you really want to be slimed? Isn't the KLR heavy enough now or do you need to add a few more ounces?

I don't use slime, but do carry extra tubes and the tools to change flats. You can still get flats with slime in the tubes.

Keep It Simple Sam :huh:

I myself have started to slime my tubes. I prefer to use a regular tube and slime it. After slimming a regular tube you have more protection than a HD tube, and have saved a fair amount of money! When putting slime in I put my bike on a stand. Remove valve stem core. Add 8 ounces slime. Replace core. Add 12 pounds air. Slowly spin tire by hand for a couple of minutes. Let it sit for a couple minutes then repeat. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Fire up the bike and spin at high speed. Let it sit. Spin again at high speed. Fill tire to desired air pressure. Doing this at the end will help to keep slime out of the valve stem!