Just got my first bike at the end of December. 1998 DR650 (new torque limiter, fixed leaky base gasket, and dynojet kit w/ air box mod) on stock Trail Wings. Ridden 600 miles on the street but not much in the way of off pavement riding.

1) where are the easy to moderate trails?

2) is anyone looking to ride this saturday (2/17/2007)?

WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!

Check out the board for weekly rides. There are many areas to ride with different degrees of riding and I think our local deserts have a perfect variety of terrain to get a new rider tuned into their bike and familiar to sand and dirt.

I will say this though..... Both for your fun factor and safety...

***Those Trail Wings are an accident waiting to happen in the dirt/sand***

They work OK on the road but many have fell victim to there less than decent off road capabilities.

There's plenty of good DOT street/dirt tires out there that will do double duty 100% better than those Wings.

my dos centavos

i know all about the trail wings. i just hate to ditch them with the amount of tread on them now. i think i will run D606s but they seem to aggressive for street riding. how are they in the twisties?

i think the SCORPION MT 90 A/T are more what i am looking for. i just dont know how they do in the sand and dirt. i dont want to start another tire thread since there are several on the board already.

so many choices though: Kings KT-966, Kenda K270, even Maxxis C6006 in the rear.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

the 606s work realy good everywhere I just did a duel sport ride that was mostly street. I rode them down the back side of palomar with only about 14 -12 pounds front and rear. They flexed a little in the corners and they hummed but never came un glued once. And where they realy shinned was in rocky slippery hard pack and sand. Hey I got some trails by where I live you wanna ride this weekend I dont think XRBum can make this weekend.

I was thinking about playing around in ramona this weekend. I think it is called black canyon. Not looking to ride hard, just trying out some stuff preparing for the D Dash. Trails are pretty cool, some are tougher than boulder creek, some just as tame. This plan is still gelling but thought I would throw it out there.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

650 Ls rock with a few mods

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I love riding early ,I usualy leav by 7, I live in Carlsbad.

i know all about the trail wings. i just hate to ditch them with the amount of tread on them now. i think i will run D606s but they seem to aggressive for street riding. how are they in the twisties?

i think the SCORPION MT 90 A/T are more what i am looking for. i just dont know how they do in the sand and dirt. i dont want to start another tire thread since there are several on the board already.

so many choices though: Kings KT-966, Kenda K270, even Maxxis C6006 in the rear.

SD Frontier,

I would kiss Death Wings good by B) They are dangerous (especially on a slippery road like Boulder Creek) and they will slow you down in advancing in dirt riding. I had them on my new DR 650 ( back in 2002) only for 500 miles, replaced them with Kenda 270 and still not good in dirt...Got D606 on, and what a difference :D Do not warry about pavement, they stick well...I do not know much about other brands.

see you on the trails B)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

No problems at all I ride them exclusively now on my duel sport bike. I ride almost everything even surf trips to mex I cruse 75 -85 on the freeway with my wife on the back surboard in rack.

i guess this turned into a tire thread anyway.

how are the D606s at 80 and 85mph? do they get squirrely at those speeds?

75-85 no problem on 606...the wind will be more of a problem at that speed.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

and 606s work really good on trails like this one

post-465-1171410752_thumb.jpg

SD Frontier,

I'm going for a new set of 606 this week. If you are interested in trying them out, I can save them for you. They still have 20-25% left to give you plenty of test riding B) Let me know

Later

papa

SD Frontier,

I'm going for a new set of 606 this week. If you are interested in trying them out, I can save them for you. They still have 20-25% left to give you plenty of test riding B) Let me know

Later

papa

PM sent

The D606 stick great to pavement considering they are knobbies. They work good in the corners also, and aren't too noisy on the freeway.

i think i will run D606s but they seem to aggressive for street riding. how are they in the twisties?

i think the SCORPION MT 90 A/T are more what i am looking for. i just dont know how they do in the sand and dirt.

Welcome Frontier-

I have a set of each and I prefer the 606s for the riding I have been doing with this group. They work great in all off road conditions (though I haven't tried them in the mud yet, remember when it used to RAIN?), and they stick well when you lay it into a tarmac corner. The MT90s are great in the dry rocks (and of course the pavement) but are useless in the sand and gravel.

i'll meet up with either or both. juat want to get my feet wet in the dirt. would love to go to DD but i dont know if i will hold the group up.

BALONEY! Everybody rides and nobody gets left behind (except maybe papaalex once B) ) so come join us. The only issue is if Randy has any spots available. Check this link here and give him a call...

nice. i will definitely put an order in for these. could anyone recommend a reputable and affordable vendor?

I have good luck at Cycle Parts West, west on ECB, right off the 805.

And as far as tires go..I've been running a pair of the Maxxis 6006 for a few hundred miles. So far it's worked good from the deserts to the mountains to the asphalt, very forgiving and predictable. Not great at any one thing, but a good compromise for almost everything out there.

BALONEY! Everybody rides and nobody gets left behind (except maybe papaalex once ;) ) so come join us. The only issue is if Randy has any spots available. Check this link here and give him a call...

i just saw that that DD is the 24th - 25th. i also have a Nissan Frontier meet that day. maybe next year and definitely the next big group ride. i may join Hammerin this weekend in Carlsbad.