slagnado

Motorcycle Carrier

I have the little Harbor Freight trailer (40"x 48") that I got for $160 (+tax) on sale. With the spare, the plywood deck I made, and the DMV fee, I figure I'm in about $300 and a day and a half of work, but I extended the tongue about 18" with some steel I had laying around and I welded all of the joints. I think your Honda could easily tow this with one bike on it, and these little trailers have covered thousands of miles when handled carefully and keeping the wheels greased.

Have to agree with Lemieux

I have a simple 4 X 8 trailer (carrying 2 bikes) for many years with no issues. I purchased the trailer, since I did not want the expense of owning a truck for the occasional usage with the bikes. The trailer carrying 2 bikes has been to Ut, Nv, Az & Nor-Cal with no issues. Proper preventative maintenance is the key.

Use 1/2" exterior glued plywood, polyurethane both sides, multiple coats and stainless steeel hardware (more $), but no rust. I do not fold the trailer, since I store my bikes on-it, so I did not cut the 4 X 8 plywood(makes for more rigid trailer). To hold the wheels in place try 3" PVC pipes(rectangular shaped) bolted to the plywood. With carabiner straps(not the s-hooks), you will have miles of secure-trouble free trailering.

Get the 12" wheels, only a few $ more

Remember the speed limit (all trailers) is 55 mph

Just recently purchased a MC carrier for 1 bike hauling only, but my vehicle is rated for a class III hitch & 500 lbs tongue weight

Remember the speed limit (all trailers) is 55 mph

Except in Arizona- trailer speed limit is the posted limit for cars.

Except if you appear brown, in which case you may be stopped for your papers.

<ducking>

Go to Joe Hauler in San Marcos they will make one exactly for your needs

Her car is not designed for that weight. 200 plus pounds of the bike sticking out 2 feet on the rack from the back of her unibody car is way to much for the Fit. The Honda Fit is a good car for what it was designed for. It has great gas milage and is roomy inside for a subcompact car. But it will not safely handle the weight of a bike off of the back. Go with a lite trailer if you have to.

I don't think so. It's a unibody car and Joe Haulers won't work. They don't make one for the Honda Element for the same reason, and the Element is about twice the size of the Fit.

I have a Honda Elament that has a receiver hitch rated at 500lbs. I put my CRF 450R on the back with the Joe Hauler. I looked underneath the car and the back half is framed and it is securely bolted to it.

I don't think so. It's a unibody car and Joe Haulers won't work. They don't make one for the Honda Element for the same reason, and the Element is about twice the size of the Fit.

I have a Honda Elament that has a receiver hitch rated at 500lbs. I put my CRF 450R on the back with the Joe Hauler. I looked underneath the car and the back half is framed and it is securely bolted to it.

Yes Huffy but the fit is not the element. The fit is rated for 850 carrying capacity. You couldn't put you , me, strega and John inside it without exceeding that.

I have a friend with a three bike trailer that stands up when not used. He stores it on the side of his house so it doesn't take up much space. He also pulls it with his Scion TC with no problem. The Fit should do that just fine. I would stay away from the Joe Hauler hitch type carriers if I were you. Too much tongue weight for the fit, but a small trailer should be fine.

Joe Hauler says:

As these new style smaller SUV’s become more popular and prevalent the tongue weight limit will become more critical. Vehicles like the X-TERRA have a frame like traditional trucks. The Ford Escape, Honda Element, most mini vans (other than Ford Aero star) are made with the uni-body style, i.e. no true frame. Paying attention to the mounts every time a hauler is used is very important on vehicles of this nature. A little common sense can save you from embarrassment, your bike from damage or, more importantly, someone’s life

http://motorcycle-rack.com/addabike2008.htm

I've been looking at this (ad below) for my F8GS. My Tahoe (4x4 w Tow pckg) has a class III hitch and I would install airbags to adjust ride height as necessary and look into having a local shop beef up the hitch/frame mount. Bike is 470 wet but I'd transport it with a near empty tank. Anyone used this for big bike transport or suggest another ?

To answer the obvious, If our daydreaming is realized, wife is taking her business on the road and we plan to travel together to various destinations where I would ride from these hub locales. I really want(need) to avoid using a trailer as there will be occasions when I'll meet her at the next stop and she is not at all keen on driving with a trailer.

Thanks for your input, cheers!

Model:ABFFSD-500

For KTM Adventure 990

& Similar larger Dual-Sport Bikes

New Model - Adjustable to fit all Models!

* "Short stinger version" with

no room for a spare tire

on back of vehicle

500 LBS Capacity