Sign in to follow this  
SDlineman

D38 Race Superstition May 2-My first

One of the guys at my work had an extra registration form and handed it to me. I've been kicking around the idea of signing up for one for a while now, and I actually had that day free. I've got my AMA membership and sent in my D38 papers, so I think I'm all set. Anyone else going? Any other first timers?

Man one day ill man up and do one of these i think it would be fun, i wouldnt be competitive i would just go for the fun of it. good luck

Awsome Jeff. Hope I can get out to watch. Do you have a pit crew to help you fuel? Ken

Jeff.. The key to success in a desert race is don't go any faster than you can see and ride at your pace not someone elses.

I remember during a D37 race I was battling for 2nd place with a guy. It was a Euro scramble so you did multiple laps on the same course. We were going back and forth and coming into an area that I remember having a really bad G-Out.. He was in front of me and was not slowing down.. Sure enough he hit that thing and ate it HARD.. I stopped long enough to know that he was not hurt/dead and then took off.. I stopped at the next checkpoint and told them his bike number and that he had gone down and to keep an eye out for him.

Moral of the story.. ride your race and finish..

Good luck and have fun..

Awsome Jeff. Hope I can get out to watch. Do you have a pit crew to help you fuel? Ken

I think I've got some friends coming out to make fun of me/drink my beer while I race if you want to call that a pit crew. I registered for the beginner bracket, which is only 2-25 mi. laps. I'm pretty sure I've got enough range for that without fuel. Thanks for the offer though.

we'll be out there, I'll find you and introduce myself. You picked one of the harder races to start on. The plaster city east races are easiest followed by plaster city west and the superstition\dip races are the tough ones. Its gonna be hot this late in the season too. Wear a T shirt or 2 under your jersey and soak it before the race or at least after your first lap to keep cool. Did you get a number yet?

Not yet. I sent in a couple choices for a # with my paperwork, but haven't heard back yet. I'll post it when I get it. What is tougher about them? Thanks for the advice to keep cool, I will do that.

Not yet. I sent in a couple choices for a # with my paperwork, but haven't heard back yet. I'll post it when I get it. What is tougher about them? Thanks for the advice to keep cool, I will do that.

the terrain is more challenging at superstition. The sand dunes and technical rock sections in the back side of the mountain require a lot of user input. If you wanna go ride the desert next weekend or the following to practice for the race, I can take you through the race course lines at superstition. I'll probably be going back out there next weekend if it isn't blazing.

by the way, briana just told me that we met you at corral canyon with bob a long time ago. It was when you were just getting signed up. I don't remember but maybe I need to put a face to the name.

I'd really like to have a practice day in the terrain it's going to be in, but I'm booked next weekend. Any chance of a weekday run? I just need a day or 2 notice.

the terrain is more challenging at superstition. The sand dunes and technical rock sections in the back side of the mountain require a lot of user input. If you wanna go ride the desert next weekend or the following to practice for the race, I can take you through the race course lines at superstition. I'll probably be going back out there next weekend if it isn't blazing.

by the way, briana just told me that we met you at corral canyon with bob a long time ago. It was when you were just getting signed up. I don't remember but maybe I need to put a face to the name.

If I can make it... take me to

Jeff.. The key to success in a desert race is don't go any faster than you can see and ride at your pace not someone elses.

I remember during a D37 race I was battling for 2nd place with a guy. It was a Euro scramble so you did multiple laps on the same course. We were going back and forth and coming into an area that I remember having a really bad G-Out.. He was in front of me and was not slowing down.. Sure enough he hit that thing and ate it HARD.. I stopped long enough to know that he was not hurt/dead and then took off.. I stopped at the next checkpoint and told them his bike number and that he had gone down and to keep an eye out for him.

Moral of the story.. ride your race and finish..

Good luck and have fun..

I guess I missed this post the first time around, thanks for the advice. That's pretty much my plan, just to ride my own pace and finish. If I'm not dead last, that's just a bonus.

Ok, got my #, 88v. The #s are easy to find, but the alpha kits don't come with v's. Any suggestions on where to find some 3" v's?

Edit- found some custom ones on ebay, 3 sets for 17.99

cut a 6" X in half

Have a great time Jeff!

Brad- Jeff met us one time at Pine Valley (quad tard transfer from thumpertalk)... I think we ended up riding different groups that day... we were leaving just as some of you were coming in

Don't tell Jeff I told you this, but he is a very cool guy... mellow and helpful and likes to be given pointers, as he is still refining his two wheeled skills...

ok sdlineman, I'm planning on getting out friday night or sat morning. I'm super excited to get to do another long race at superstition. The last race was way too short. Look for the OTB flags to find me. I have the red toyota and small toy hauler #11. Weather looks decent so hold off on getting wet until after you do a lap. It will be cool still at 8AM. If you do have your buddies douse you for lap two, hold your hands over your head and keep the water off your gloves and goggles. Good luck and I'll see you after the race if you are still around. Pace yourself and stand on the pegs. Pin it when ever the chance is there and the arrows are pointing at the sky! :ok:

I'll look for you, thanks. I've got a White Ford dually and black flatbed trailer. #88v on a Yamaha WR.

just like the 09 Nat? 2 loops?

just like the 09 Nat? 2 loops?

it was just 4X 25 mile laps, but they ran most of the same stuff as the B loop. It was all at super and the dip no PC.