Sign in to follow this  
DesmoStucky

New Member & New Bike

I introduced myself yesterday, and I have already had several PMs pointing me to a few very good looking used bikes. I wanted to start a new thread to make these discussions more public, and get some different opinions. I'll list my needs, wants, and desires below. I realize this is a dream bike that doesn't exist, but I'm ready to compromise :).

Need

• DS Functionality -- I want to be able to hit the tarmac as well as dirt. Even better if I can through some 17" wheels and street tires on.
    -With the WRR/X I would probably buy and X, then throw on 17" dirt tires (front and rear) until I can afford the other set of wheels from that guy whose name is escaping me at the moment.
  • Light Weight -- I rode a VFR for over two years; I'm ready for something a bit more... what's the word... svelte. Plus Southern California is a playground for off road vehicles and I want to be comfortable on single track.
  • Luggage -- I don't much care if the bike comes with or with out it, but I need it. I will be doing many weekend-getaway-trips, along with some long rides as well. I want to be able to carry enough crap for the TAT. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water, food, tools, spares, etc.
  • Street Legal -- It is usually an assumption, but it doesn't hurt to state the obvious.
  • Price -- Like to keep bike and gear (not riding gear) total under 4.0k.

Want

• Fuel Injection -- This is clearly, and shamelessly, favoring the WRR here. Just seems like a modern bike should have this technology. Not a deal breaker for me, but would definitely be nice.
  • Power -- Of course the WR250R is plenty of bike once you get it revved out. But who is going to say no to a few extra hp :lol:?
  • Farkles -- One of the best parts about buying a used bike is not paying full price for the goodies. The less I have to spend after the initial purchase the better.
  • Tire Condition -- Low number of heat cycles and low wear are a plus.
  • Local -- SoCal is preferred, but my leg could be twisted to fly, buy, and ride her back.
  • Model Year -- Is newer better? In the case of the WRR, fuel injection is obviously one of the benefits of a the newer bikes.

Thus I turn to you; The experienced, knowledgeable, handsome/beautiful crowd (too much?). Help me decide on a trusty steed that meets, or exceeds, my rather detailed requirements. This is a big purchase and I have no problem waiting until the right bike, and right deal come along. Beers on me for everyone's help :drinks:!

Current Bikes I'm Looking At

Pricey, but oh so pretty: Link!

Nice DRZ: Link

Strega's KTM: Link

-Mike Stuck

I suggest purchasing a good used DRZ400 with all the work already done to it. You will be able to pick one up between 2 and 3k. Ride it for a season, and test ride other bikes. Most guys will trade bikes for a few minutes while on a ride. See what kind of rides you like to do, and then sell the DRZ for near what you paid for it and buy your purpose-built machine for the type of riding you want to do. :drinks: Ken

I just looked at the links you posted. The DRZ is overpriced, shop around, you should find one 4 or 5 years newer for that price.

how about a husqvarna? you could get the 450. they are fairly light as far as dual sports go and fuel injected and theres a supermoto package available too. the only downside is they are a little pricy.

I just looked at the links you posted. The DRZ is overpriced, shop around, you should find one 4 or 5 years newer for that price.

Agreed...I sent Mike that link (surprised? :drinks: ) with the same comment.

I think a DRZ is a good choice too...

I would forego the 17" option for wheels, unless you REALLY want to ride HARD on the street or track...get an extra 18/21 set with street tread if you want, then flip the set if they don't meet your needs. I've never tucked the front end on my XRL 21" street tire, keeping up with crotch rockets (admittedly we were not racing)

I would not underestimate the WRR for what you're asking.

I think a DRZ is a good choice too...

I would forego the 17" option for wheels, unless you REALLY want to ride HARD on the street or track...get an extra 18/21 set with street tread if you want, then flip the set if they don't meet your needs. I've never tucked the front end on my XRL 21" street tire, keeping up with crotch rockets (admittedly we were not racing)

I would not underestimate the WRR for what you're asking.

I agree about the second set of wheels. It certainly would be nice, but is out of my budge,t and need. I guess I need to give the DRZs out there more attention. Thanks for the tips!

desmo...welcome to the group, sorry i havent said hello yet on the introductions page..

i have had alot of bikes and love my ktm but they are pricey. the husky is a great optiion for great power, light weight, Fi, but again pricey and not enough aftermarket support like luggage and oversize tanks and things like that. the wrr is a great bike, i have not ridden one myself, but EVERYONE i have talked to that owns one...loves it. decent aftermarket support and Fi, cons= still kinda new on the market so even used ones are still a bit pricey, and it is only a 250. i would stick with the wrr instead of the wrx unless you are wanting to commute or really like to tear the canyons a new one every week. you would be surprised at what you can do on a set of dot knobbies on the street, and what you CANT do on the trail on street 17"s

the drz i think will fit you request the best from a price, versatility, and farkle aspects. they are fairly smooth on the street, good on the dirt and single track tons of aftermarket support, luggage racks and bags available....good choice....doug-aka-02rdking loves his.

Great points about the DRZ and WR KellyMac. Just to make things more interesting Joliet PM'd me this guy as well.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1684502448.html

Joliet pointed out that the registration needs to be fully investigated. I am also thinking that this might be too high strung for my needs. I don't need a high maintenance machine, as I'll be doing many long trips. Interesting find though...

Thoughts?

-Mike

The KTM is definitely a no go. I contacted the seller just asking for the full resolution photos and he was unwilling to send them. Doesn't seem very motivated to sell :unsure:.

nobody is MOTIVATED to sell a ktm or WANTS to...that is a good deal on a bike with that low of hours.

dont let what you might think of as a "high maintanace" schedule stop you from buying a ktm...i never said not to buy one...i love mine and i dont find it to be that maintanace intensive...remeber that when the factory sets their maintanace schedules that is set for full race conditions and i dont think any of us use these bikes anywhere near their full potential. i believe you can extend service schedules alot. the service schedules on wrr's and drz's is based on average DS use, ktm's service schedules are based on "ready to race" use.

on my race bikes, 2t and 4t i serviced them after every race, oil change, air filter cleaning, chain cleaning and lube. that was after one weekday practice and one race day or 3 or 4 days out in the desert.

but on my ktm 530 which i use for true DS...i mean everything, track, desert, street, mountain single track, fire roads..anything. and i do weeks of riding, multiple track days, multiple desert weekends, alot of riding before i do service, and my oil still looks clean.

dont be too concerned with ktm's schedules.

but i still stand by my statements on the drz being a good fit for a n00b with experience. very expandable bike. adaptable.

but damn the ktm is nice....i WILL do the TAT on mine.

i have a 6.3 gal tank and am starting to do more and more adventure style riding on my 530 and it loves seems to love it. no service or reliability problems, and damn its fun on good trails. :unsure:

nobody is MOTIVATED to sell a ktm or WANTS to...that is a good deal on a bike with that low of hours.

dont let what you might think of as a "high maintanace" schedule stop you from buying a ktm...i never said not to buy one...i love mine and i dont find it to be that maintanace intensive...remeber that when the factory sets their maintanace schedules that is set for full race conditions and i dont think any of us use these bikes anywhere near their full potential. i believe you can extend service schedules alot. the service schedules on wrr's and drz's is based on average DS use, ktm's service schedules are based on "ready to race" use.

on my race bikes, 2t and 4t i serviced them after every race, oil change, air filter cleaning, chain cleaning and lube. that was after one weekday practice and one race day or 3 or 4 days out in the desert.

but on my ktm 530 which i use for true DS...i mean everything, track, desert, street, mountain single track, fire roads..anything. and i do weeks of riding, multiple track days, multiple desert weekends, alot of riding before i do service, and my oil still looks clean.

dont be too concerned with ktm's schedules.

but i still stand by my statements on the drz being a good fit for a n00b with experience. very expandable bike. adaptable.

but damn the ktm is nice....i WILL do the TAT on mine.

i have a 6.3 gal tank and am starting to do more and more adventure style riding on my 530 and it loves seems to love it. no service or reliability problems, and damn its fun on good trails. :good:

Intersting... you guys really aren't making this easy! My reservations with the KTM stem from ignorance. I have never owned or ridden one, and I only know what I read here, adv, and thumped talk. Just too many great bikes out there!

Thanks for the help all. I have been reading "what bike" threads like crazy.

-Mike

what would be best is to probably get out and try a few out. that should make this easier.

what would be best is to probably get out and try a few out. that should make this easier.

That would probably be ideal. A few test rides would be very beneficial.

In the meantime, TrophyHunter turned me on to this little gem.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1685797500.html

Seems like a solid deal for a 15 year old bike. I am waiting to hear from the owner. If I could get a ride to last me a year or two, then upgrade to a newer/more modern bike that would be great. Any thoughts on the olde KTM? I am really liking the looks of it, if she is clean.

-Mike Stuck

Alright I need the forum's input. I am drooling over this bike on Craigslist, but I just can't decide if I should pull the trigger. The con's in my mind are that I will have to fabricate my own luggage rack, short gearing, and hard seat. Also he is not very flexible on the price. The pro's are power, power, power, registered through April 2011, desert tank, and stabilizer. I want this to be somewhat of a "long distance" machine so I will need comfort and room for my gear.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1695438249.html

Thoughts?

-Mike

Alright I need the forum's input. I am drooling over this bike on Craigslist, but I just can't decide if I should pull the trigger. The con's in my mind are that I will have to fabricate my own luggage rack, short gearing, and hard seat. Also he is not very flexible on the price. The pro's are power, power, power, registered through April 2011, desert tank, and stabilizer. I want this to be somewhat of a "long distance" machine so I will need comfort and room for my gear.

Thoughts?

-Mike

It is a good price, but I don't know if you will want to ride "long distances". What do you consider long distances to be? It is only a 450, so you probably won't want to ride to Alaska and back on it. But you could ride 100-150 miles on it if you get a more comfortable seat. That thing looks tiny.

Thoughts?

-Mike

Not a good long distance bike, although I have done some 150 mile days on mine. Maint is a little easier than a KTM RFS. Sounds like a good bike for the price. Pull the trigger, ride it for a while and if you decide you want a bike for longer distances but less dirt worthy, sell it and get a KLR or something. Ken

that husky is the opposite of the big KLR... dirt bike with JUST enough stuff to be street legal

the KLR is a street bike with JUST enough stuff to not kill you in the dirt

That Husky is pretty nice though. You could probably ride it for a year, and not lose too much if you decide it's not right for you

I decided against the KLR for some of the reasons that make it a good road bike. Mainly it was weight. Thanks for the input!

-Mike

Thoughts?

Buy it....you won't take a loss on it if you flip it later......

You'll love the bike for desert and some singletrack. Anything really dirtworthy isn't going to be so long distance worthy and vise versa. Mine's got over 5000 miles on it and hasn't even needed a valve adjustment yet. The 06s came with good radiators too, not like the Alexons that came on the 07 (only the 07).

OK- I read your last post completely... I really don't think that 450 is what you are looking for, for your stated purpose...

on the flip side; I have a DRZ400S that would totally meet your needs... buy that and we'll trade!

Seriously, though... if you are looking for "load up some bags, take some two lane and some highway out to BFE, then ride a bunch of trails and camp for the night"... I would look at the Husky 610, the bigger KTMs (620 and 640) , Suzuki 400s and 650s, maybe an XRR or XRL from Honda, and a WRR from Yamaha.

I feel like my needs might shift the first time I go out on a ride with you guys. I know street riding from experience. I know dual sport riding from reading ride reports on ADV. Those reports are what originally motivated me to look for a dual sport. However now living in SoCal there is so much more to do locally that is strictly on BLM land or just general off road.

Maybe I should put my purse down, man up, and just take the dive on this TE. I guess I don't really know what I want when I haven't even ridden around out in the desert. You guys are awesome!

-Mike

well Mike... You are absolutely right. and this bike, if it's still available is a great dirt bike with a plate, and you won't lose much value (which is why he won't budge; he doesn't have to)

Some SDAR guys like the multi-day trips and go for more civilized bikes, and some like to ride fast and furious for half days... you may not know which you prefer until you get out there and do it... so get out there and do it

Buy your bike... hook up on a newb ride or take a dirt bike class... find out what suits you, then reassess as necessary.

I think FEW people here have ONE dual sport as their only bike, especially if it is their first DS... lots of trial and error (my list: DR350, KLX650, XT650, XT350, TW200, DRZ400, XRL650, KLR650, DL1000... I probably forgot some)

My next bike will be more dirt oriented; I don't have the time for multi-day rides, and want to enjoy my time in the dirt... I'll SUFFER through the street parts slowly... as many will attest

still reading this? get on the phone and pick up that Husky

I grew up on dirt bikes, but I haven't been riding dirt in the last 10 years (I'm 24). Thanks for the help. I wish that guy listed his phone number. I sent him an email, but the wait for a reply is brutal :lol:.