Paul

Boots and Foot Injuries

I caught a rock with my foot the other day and shattered my Big Toe. I was wearing regular boots since I was coming home from work. I really dont think my riding boots would have prevented the injury but they might have. They do have some top protection. They are Fox Racing Trackers - kinda cheap boots. I am considering buying new boots - I like Alpinestars

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...x?ArticleID=172

These are the tech 8s but now they have tech 7s for around $250

Looking for input from Riders and some of the other recent Foot Injury victims.

What type/brand of boot did you have on when you recieved your injury?

Paul,

OUCH! I broke my big toe way back in High School (thirty years ago!). Hobbled around for 2 weeks.

How did it happen? I was on my motorcycle in the desert and kicked a rock with

my big old motorcycle boots. Probably would have been a lot worse without

the boots and the big steel toe guard.

Get well!

How did it happen?

On the paved road Road from Sutherland Dam I got close to the side and hit a large rock sitting on the side of the road. It was just after sunset and I did not see it at the edge of the chapparal that was overgrowing the road. The rock was big and heavy but it did move - that is a good thing. Otherwise I might have been hurt worse and crashed the bike.

The doctor said that another guy had the same thing happen but he snapped three bones in the top of his foot and a lot of blood vessels. Mine is not too bad - I can still hobble.

Sorry to hear about your toe. I broke my big toe a few years ago, hobbled for a few weeks but was running by months end. I am very happy with my Tech 4 boots. Comfortable, with lots of ankle support and impact protection. They still suprise me every time I have to step down when I feel the bike slipping and I don't feel any harsh impact to my foot or ankle it's all absorbed by the boot. They were really stiff when new, but I think they're breaking in nicely. I paid 150ish for them.

I run the alpinestars and love them! They are stiff. I have never had a problem. On the other hand Sante fe Dreamin had brand new alpinestars and broke his foot!

I've got a VERY wide foot, so boot choices are somewhat limited... I wear Thor Quadrants...

I spilled in the sand while missing a shift, and the bike fell on top of my foot... with the toe pointed down... so i was pinned under the bike, facing away from it... REALLY pinned... no leverage to get the bike off my foot, etc... I just twisted and it gradually came out with no injuries to the ankle... I know it's not the same as impact protection, but...

when I'm just messing around in the front yard, I normally just wear my work boots with steel toes... NO toe injuries yet... but ask to see my shins some day. What a mess... scars all over the place.

Public Service Announcement- cover your shins

I run the alpinestars and love them! They are stiff. I have never had a problem. On the other hand Sante fe Dreamin had brand new alpinestars and broke his foot!

Alpinestars makes a lot of different priced boots. What model Alpinestars do you run? I wonder what model Santa Fe Dreamin had on? I am looking at tech 7s, which are a new model for $250. the 8s are about $360 and the 10s are well over $400. I did notice the boots seem very heavy.

I will take a look at Thor and SIDI boots too

It was stated once before and I'll paraphrase for content and length.

All the protective gear in the world isn't going to protect you from an injury, it is only going to lessen the severity of the injury.

Buy what you like, generally what feels best once you've got it on. Much can be said about paying more for more protection. Although, it can also be argued that certain items cost more because thats what all the pros wear and unfortunately we the consumer have to recoup the company's expense of supplying all those boots and money to the pro teams.

I like motorsports and all, I just don't like supporting the effort.

my last .02 on the subject

Happy shopping

Mine are tech 8's. Prices have gone up! Mine were well under 200 on sale years ago! I dont know what kind Sante fe Dreamin had.

I have Alpinestars, Tech 6, which I think have a little more plastic protection then the Tech 8, but Shane says the Tech 10 have the best protection.

You just need to compare the boots visually, or on the internet. Don't buy a boot that's cheaper, unless you feel it has the same quality and protection. With boots, I feel you get what you pay for.

I really like Alpinestars, Sidi is another brand that is excellent, and Gaerne is supposed to be good.

With my slight fracture from the other day, I don't know if another brand boot would've prevented the fracture. Like others said, even the best gear won't prevent all injuries all the time.

There were many threads on ADVrider.com regarding boots. Go there and do a search in the equipment forum if you want to read more, you'll get some good input.....but there are so many opinions, it gets overwhelming.

I have Alpinestars, Tech 6, which I think have a little more plastic protection then the Tech 8, but Shane says the Tech 10 have the best protection.

You just need to compare the boots visually, or on the internet. Don't buy a boot that's cheaper, unless you feel it has the same quality and protection. With boots, I feel you get what you pay for.

I really like Alpinestars, Sidi is another brand that is excellent, and Gaerne is supposed to be good.

I agree 100% with what Randy said and I wear A-star Tech 6's coming from SIDI's as well. I like both these boots a lot.

Guest crmyers

Hey I bought Gaernes because I could walk around without feeling like I had on skiboots, which with my previous bikes I have done a lot of walking, boots are cheaper than ankles, and limping after wearing your boots all day sucks. SeeYa.