papaalex

sprockets ratio?

Hi guys,

I know that everybody rides with different sprockets ratios, can you let me know if you like what you have on your bike. My DR came with 15/42, 525 (was to fast for me in dirt), droped front to 14 and liked it for some time, but now, feel like still a bit too fast in dirt (perfect paved). I thinking to go 14/45, 520 steel and do not worry about dirt performance, it'll be only better, but concerned about roads ( crouse speed, top speed, vibration or else).

Any ideas?

Thanks

My DRZ came with 15/44... i went to 14/47, and it worked great in the dirt, but wound out on the streets really fast, and I seemed to be changing gears constantly.

I since went back to the 15 front, with the 47 rear, and it makes a nice compromise... 65 has the bike with just a little bit of passing speed in reserve... you did the 3x3, right? that was my best bang for the buck, for both dtreet and dirt.

A basic rule of thumb is that one tooth down on the front is equal to approx 3 larger on the rear. It's always easier to go one smaller on the front because you usually don't need to change chain length.

Bob,

what is 3x3?

It's a mod to the airbox on a DRZ400, where you cut a 3x3 hole into the top of it.

Bob,

what is 3x3?

:)

I thought it was a 4X4 with 2 flats :)

3x3- Is, indeed, a 3 inch square hole cut in to the top of the airbox... by itself, this would make what is already a "lean" condition worse, and the bike would run like crap... HOWEVER; a 3x3 hole combined with a softer needle spring, and some larger fuel jets, makes the bike a lot more responsive, without the hesitation and surge you have on the stock bike... the exact jet specs i used were for a DRZ, but the philosophy works on most bikes .