BrendenSD

Adjusting Kickstart Lever

With the Desert tank on, my kickstart lever no longer snugs under my tank. I'd like to loosen the bolt that holds the kickstart lever in place and rotate down so it will fit under my tank. I've been wrenching on this bolt with a 6mm allen wrench and it just won't budge.

post-13558-1266363640.jpg

Is what I'm attempting to do even possible?

Is torching/heating up the bolt my next option?

Suggestions?

With the Desert tank on, my kickstart lever no longer snugs under my tank. I'd like to loosen the bolt that holds the kickstart lever in place and rotate down so it will fit under my tank. I've been wrenching on this bolt with a 6mm allen wrench and it just won't budge.

post-13558-1266363640.jpg

Is what I'm attempting to do even possible?

Is torching/heating up the bolt my next option?

Suggestions?

Ah. Not sure you'll be successful with that.

Yes, use some heat- not a lot, just about 300, I think. If there's loctite on it (and there should be) it will release as designed. But there are a number of tank/lever combinations. Mine still sucks on all my aftermarket tanks. Are you well-tooled? If not, bring it over- I have enough tools to really get us in trouble. You MUST clean the threads and use loctite on it when replacing.

Brenden,

If you aren't "well tooled". Don't worry. Fakey said "I have enough tools to really get us in trouble." I say that was an very special invite indeed. Good luck. Remember to brace yourself and enjoy.

go on a ride in Primm Valley. it will fall right off and then you can go out and buy a new one and replace it at any angle you choose.

(sorry, couldn't resist - just had to install a new one this past week!)

SFT

Is your kickstart splined

If it has the groove on the 1 side it is fixed

If you sucseed in rotating it ---wont it hit the foot peg when kicking

It already does- see the scratches? KTMs are designed that way from the factory in Australia.

It already does- see the scratches? KTMs are designed that way from the factory in Australia.

Yea I saw those 2 notches. So is it splined so he can take it off and turn it counter clockwise????

Yea I saw those 2 notches. So is it splined so he can take it off and turn it counter clockwise????

Yes, but I suspect he'll have more luck moving it clockwise. I'm not sure that's going to work, either- that might be the wrong tank, or the wrong starter lever. I thing the sx used a different lever- shorter or something.

go on a ride in Primm Valley. it will fall right off and then you can go out and buy a new one and replace it at any angle you choose.

(sorry, couldn't resist - just had to install a new one this past week!)

SFT

still have not made it back out there yet but it will be soon and i will retrieve it. I know right where it is. I am assuming of course it is still there and where it was i think it's safe. :lol:

I think it might be better to find a shorter kicker instead of rotating. you might not be able to get the full stroke when kicking. just a thought what do i know

on second thought it doesn't look like it has to go that far.

300º - I assumed you meant Fahrenheit so I put a soldering iron on it for about 10 minutes. Then it was just brute strength to break the loctite and turn that bolt loose. I used a zip-tie to secure the lever to the foot peg.

post-13558-1266426768_thumb.jpg

When I removed the bolt there was a lot of loctite in there. The lever slid right off, rotated it one notch & cleaned the bolt.

post-13558-1266426939_thumb.jpg

Used the RED loctite to install the bolt.

post-13558-1266427050_thumb.jpg

The lever fits right in that recess under the tank. I haven't tried kicking it yet but it will probably still hit the foot peg.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I think all of the Australian bikes have reverse threads on the kick starter, since it is South of the equator... and the toilets flush backwards...

Oh wait... I see above that you already fixed it... I guess I wasn't that much help

That is lame.

What kind of aftermarket tank is that so I don't buy it?

Its' the Clarke 3.2 gal.

I think all of the Australian bikes have reverse threads on the kick starter, since it is South of the equator... and the toilets flush backwards...

Oh wait... I see above that you already fixed it... I guess I wasn't that much help

You were very helpful! I just kept telling myself if Bikeslut can do this, then any idiot can!

See- not so bad. References tot he Coriolis Force notwithstanding.

I would not have used red loctite. Not a big deal, but remember to heat it again when removing so you avoid stripping out the allen bolt that holds it on.

That's very important, let me repeat: remember to heat it again when removing so you avoid stripping out the allen bolt that holds it on.

The KTM cognoscenti slide a 1 or 2" piece of 5/8 automotive black (of course) heater hose over the kickstart lever to cushion the SMACK when it bottoms out on the footpeg.

Just checked my own bolt- very loose.

I used red.

There was red on it when I took it off so I figured I'd put it back on.

Found this is on ktmcyclehutt.

post-13558-1266536592.jpg

Turns out I should of used the Blue :party:

post-13558-1266536510.jpg

Kick.bmp