skincer

Helmet / Gloves Suggestions

Hopefully you guys aren't getting sick of my posts...typical newb enthusiasm I think, but I guess I should start looking for a helmet and gloves. Any suggestions? It looks like a lot of you guys use helmets that don't have a visor (are these MX helmets?). I would think a visor would be nice for the road portion of a ride. Any stores you recommend shopping in town or on the net?

Thanks again.

Steve

by visor, you mean the plexi face shield? The visor is the "bill" like the front of a ball cap... If you wear a full face helmet, you'll probably fog it up when it's cold, and open it up when it is hot... For full face helmets:

You have 4 basic choices... moto style helmet (make sure it's DOT approved), in which case you'll want goggles... Full face street helmet; they get a little hot and are a little heavy for dirt riding for me... Nolan or other full face helmet with a chin bar that can lift up... Arai or other "dual sport" helmet that has a face shield included as part of a moto style helmet

The really COOL people wear helmets that look like Nazi helmets... (jk)

You'll want a helmet and gloves that FIT... Dont buy your first over the internet... If it doesnt fit, you'll be miserable... I hear Cycle Gear in El Cajon is good; I buy most of my gear at Cycle Parts West on El Cajon Blvd just West of the 805. Your helmet should be SNUG... it will loosen up over time. For my head, Arai doesn't fit, Bell and HJC fit OK, and Shoei fit best... But I've got a big F in jaw, and a fat head; your opinion may vary... Arais make me feel like I'm going through a birth canal.

I have 3 types of gloves... Moto Gloves, road racing type gloves, and a thick pair of cold/wet weather gloves... I wear the moto gloves on all the rides I've done with these guys. The others I wear with my V strom on the Alpine to Mission Bay Commute 6 days a week. I'm not too picky on brands, until I find one that I hate... I haven't yet.

The helmets with an open face are Dirt helmets, so you can wear goggles. Arai makes a great helmet for Adventure type riding, with the bill and a faceshield, but it's very pricey....list is $500.

Go to Motoworld in El Cajon, see Geoff King in Accessories, and tell him you're with SDAR. Also, you get a 20% discount if you belong to San Diego Off Road Coalition.

The helmets with an open face are Dirt helmets, so you can wear goggles. Arai makes a great helmet for Adventure type riding, with the bill and a faceshield, but it's very pricey....list is $500.

Go to Motoworld in El Cajon, see Geoff King in Accessories, and tell him you're with SDAR. Also, you get a 20% discount if you belong to San Diego Off Road Coalition.

I wear prescription glasses. Will goggles go over them?

I wear prescription glasses. Will goggles go over them?

They make special goggles to fit over glasses, just ask. The Aria XD helment will work great over glasses!!

Scincer,

They make Scott 87 OTG (Over The Glasses) goggles that I use all the time. That way you can wear prescription shades under them, to get more of a darker tint than you would get with goggles alone. :blink:

I wear a Thor motocross style helmet with a visor on it (DOT?). Boots are also important to save your ankles. :blink:

Jerry

Just a quick note from me. Scott, Smith and Oakley all make goggles to go over glasses. Scott OTGs and Oakley L-frames are available everywhere. I have only found one of the Smith goggles at Cyclegear (I think it's Cyclegear) on Convoy.

Anyway, take your new helmet and glasses you intend to wear when riding and try on the different goggles with your helmet. It's suprising how the different goggles feel over your glasses with your helmet on. The best I found for me and my big head was the Smiths. If I could only find another pair...

Jon

The key thing to remember about protective gear is it will only lessen the severity of the injury, not stop it.

Even the best of gear will not stop a injury. However, cheap gear may not lessen it. :blink:

This helmet thing is going to be tricky. It seems even a short 15 minute ride w/ no face shield could be kind of uncomfortable (face/nose exposed to bugs/wind). Now I'm thinking I should get a street helmet and just raise the face shield and put on sunglasses for off road.

I went over to Motoworld and worked with Geoff King. What a nice guy and so knowledgeable, patient, etc. It was a wonderful experience and I would recommend him to anyone. I didn't talk to the accessories people at FBC, but compared to the bike sales folks at FBC, what a difference. The other thing I noticed at FBC was that I got a different answer to the same question from everyone I spoke with. One person told me 250cc was minimum to ride on the freeway and another told me it was 178 (so 200). One person told me the Yamaha XT225 was a 5 speed, another said 6.

I ended up ordering an Arai XD. It was definitely a splurge for this boy, but if felt great and I definitely wanted the option of a face shield. I tried on some goggles over my Rx glasses and they seemed to fit great. I can't wait to get it so that I can start getting used to riding a bike again.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Steve

Hopefully you guys aren't getting sick of my posts...

Nope! Keep posting away. Glad to have you here.

<<I went over to Motoworld and I ended up ordering an Arai XD.

Thanks again for all the great advice.>>

WTG Steve!

Spyder