pyrate

Seat Repair

Poked a hole in my seat on my BMW F650GS Dakar while out in Joshua Tree last Friday. Anyone know of a good upholstery shop in the San Diego area that understands m/c seats? Thanks!!

I'm not familiar with that particular seat, but if similar to dirt bike seats, you may be able to do it yourself: buy similar material/fabric, and stretch and staple it back on.....need a pnuematic stapler/compressor though...I've shaved 2 seats and replaced the fabric....I have the article from an old dirt rider magazine with directions on how to do it, if you want to try....let me know

I'm not familiar with that particular seat, but if similar to dirt bike seats, you may be able to do it yourself: buy similar material/fabric, and stretch and staple it back on.....need a pnuematic stapler/compressor though...I've shaved 2 seats and replaced the fabric....I have the article from an old dirt rider magazine with directions on how to do it, if you want to try....let me know

It's a bit different from most dirt bike seats but not impossible. I will look around to see if I can find similar fabric. Thanks.

post-13506-1262237919.jpg

fabric that has some stretch in both directions makes it easier to get it tight enough....I imagine it is stapled underneath, like other bike seats..

Go to UFO in National City, they have all kinds of fabric from boats to bikes to everything in between.

Its not that hard to do with a Air powered staple gun, you can also add padding which if you do,,,,

you criss/cross cuts with a razor blade about 1/2 way through the foam, it works wonders

Go to UFO in National City, they have all kinds of fabric from boats to bikes to everything in between.

Its not that hard to do with a Air powered staple gun, you can also add padding which if you do,,,,

you criss/cross cuts with a razor blade about 1/2 way through the foam, it works wonders

Why the criss / cross cuts?

It allows for the foam to fit the shape of the seats better.

the thinner the foam, the easier it is to fit onthe seat

However if the foarm is thick to add more padding, you will/might need to criss/cross cuts into the foam for a cleaner and tighter fit.

also you can trim or angle the edges along the sides for a cleaner wrap around, if your using thick foam.

Also remember foam comes in all kinds of softness and density (sp)

It allows for the foam to fit the shape of the seats better.

the thinner the foam, the easier it is to fit onthe seat

However if the foarm is thick to add more padding, you will/might need to criss/cross cuts into the foam for a cleaner and tighter fit.

also you can trim or angle the edges along the sides for a cleaner wrap around, if your using thick foam.

Also remember foam comes in all kinds of softness and density (sp)

oh, for the curves. Yes, that makes sense. I thought you meant for the flat sections. I will take a look. The seat has a pencil sized hole on the size down close to my knee/thigh are at on the seat. Just sort of unsightly but not critical right now. I was going to patch it with a tire patch if it was problematic until I could replace it.

Thanks again. I have a pneumatic staple gun and some adhesive spray so I am probably good once I find the material. Thanks again.

There was a really good tutorial that was linked from advrider about how to re-do your own seat. The guy posted it on You-Tube and it covered re-building a KLR seat. It looked totally pro when he was finished.

There was a really good tutorial that was linked from advrider about how to re-do your own seat. The guy posted it on You-Tube and it covered re-building a KLR seat. It looked totally pro when he was finished.

Okay. I will do a search when I get ready. Thanks everyone for your help.