Jay (SDKLR650) and i did a last minute trip up to Otay Mountain which is right on the US/Mexico border! PERFECT riding weather, good trails and awesome views.

Kudos to sandiegoland For downloading/sharing his .GPX files! I uploaded it this morning and followed it with no problems. This was my first time there and is now one of my favorites spots for sure!!!! So many trails and such great views!!

We came across some Border Patrol folks that were very friendly and gave us "unofficial" permission to use there patrol roads!

Posted Image

Posted Image

View overlooking San Diego

Posted Image

Downed Copter, happened 2 days ago, story still developing, everyone lived though! :

Posted Image

View overlooking San Diego

Posted Image

OOPS

Posted Image

Posted Image

More:

Mexican/US Border

Posted Image

Tijuana

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bikes On The Border

Posted Image

One Sexy Bitch On The Border

Posted Image

Border Monument

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice pix! Thanks! Been up there a few dozen times and never bothered to ask about riding trails other than the Truck Trail. I really like the pictures of the border note. Figures that our side is covered in grafitti and the other side is clean as a whistle. Crazy.

Jim

Nice pix! Thanks! Been up there a few dozen times and never bothered to ask about riding trails other than the Truck Trail.

Yeah, i want to head up there more often! TONS of side routes to explore!

I really like the pictures of the border note. Figures that our side is covered in grafitti and the other side is clean as a whistle. Crazy.

Yeah, go figure

Great shot of the helo. I thought it might be there for a few days, but figured they would retrieve it fairly quickly once they measured everything. Now I wish I'd gotten up there today.

Thanks to kevin for a great trip today . It was a great day of riding, unbelievable view's and great trail's . My first time riding Otay Mt I was impressed def will be back there soon. And of all the spots all day on the trail I had to pick the one with the 3ft rut to lay down HA big thanks to kevin for pulling the beast out for me!!! And it's not everyday you get to check out a down helo very sweet ( glad no one got hurt ) All in All it was a great last minute trip!!!! :ph34r:

Thanks, Jay

Kevin,

I too like to ride that area, next time I go out there I'll let you know. We gotta talk about the whole gas cap thing. I still need a new one. I'm gonna PM you.

Jon

You guys motived me to ride the area today, 1-8-07. Just as I started down the awesome switchbacks on Morron Valley Rd. a BP Agent flagged me down & asked "What I was doing there & how I got there?" The answer seemed self-evident. He then stated all the gates were supposed to be locked & I was to turn around; Bummer. I planned to do it backwards anyway, but I wanted the switchbacks. On my return I did notice a USBP sign which said "All gates were to closed & locked after passing". There are also numerous signs stating "No Off Road Vehicle activity allowed" at the access point near Otay Mountain. I'd never noticed those before. Other than a couple of close encounters with 4x4s & pick-ups who weren't watching the trail it was an awesome ride! My new to me DRZ400S makes it all seem SO easy.

You guys motived me to ride the area today, 1-8-07. Just as I started down the awesome switchbacks on Morron Valley Rd. a BP Agent flagged me down & asked "What I was doing there & how I got there?" The answer seemed self-evident. He then stated all the gates were supposed to be locked & I was to turn around; Bummer. I planned to do it backwards anyway, but I wanted the switchbacks. On my return I did notice a USBP sign which said "All gates were to closed & locked after passing". There are also numerous signs stating "No Off Road Vehicle activity allowed" at the access point near Otay Mountain. I'd never noticed those before. Other than a couple of close encounters with 4x4s & pick-ups who weren't watching the trail it was an awesome ride! My new to me DRZ400S makes it all seem SO easy.

The no off road vehicle activity signs refer to riding "off of the road". Otay Mountain is a Wilderness Area so, other than so many feet off each side of the road (which is not included the Wilderness Area), it is off limits for mechanized vehicles (includiing bicycles). If you are on a street legal bike you can ride on Otay Mountain TT.

Some useful BLM overlayed topographic maps can be found at http://www.blm.gov/ca/palmsprings/scrmp.html so you can be aware of what roads are excluded from the widlerness area.

I think the sign you are referring to is where the BLM property ends in Marron Valley. From there it is a combination of San Diego Water Department land (Marron Valley Preserve) and "state lands" and private land.

Great write-up and photos guys! Sounds like ya'll had an awesome ride. I saw the downed helo today with a crew of inspectors and a 3 star general on site. Glad to hear everyone lived through the crash. Must have been a great pilot to manage keeping that bird together on such a hectic crash landing. A HERO ! Best wishes and a speedy recovery to them all. :ph34r:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ride on hombres!