SteveO

Borrego Badlands loop ride

I had a nice ride yesterday in perfect weather. I staged at the Blow Sand Campground on Hwy 78 and started riding at 9:35 am. I went up Blow Sand Wash and then west on Goat Trail. These were my two favorite trails because they had nice hills. After starting up Borrego Mountain Wash, I came to the one-way drop off. I didn't know it was there, so I was glad I was going the right way. These things never look as bad in the pictures as they are, but this one wasn't as bad as it looked, so the picture is about right. :)

After bouts of deep sand, Cut Across Trail was easy, flat and long. I went through Tule Wash and then half way up Arroyo Salado, I stopped for lunch. At the end of Arroyo Salado, I took Ella Wash to Short Wash, with side trips to Vista del Malpais and Fonts Point.

I originally planned to take Inspiration Wash to the dump, but I was running low on time, so I took S22 and Peg Leg Rd to the dump, where I got lost and asked directions at the dump office. Once I realized I needed to head south, I was OK and got onto Borrego Sink Wash. This was another of my favorite washes, with lots of whoops and no deep sand.

I took Borrego Sink Wash all the way to Buttes Pass Road, which I took down to Hwy 78.

With photo and lunch stops, the 65 mile ride took 4:52. I said I was slow. But I had a good day. Here are some pictures.

Blow Sand staging

01BlowSandCmpgd.jpg

One-way down into Slot Canyon

071WayIntoSlotCyn.jpg

In Borrego Mountain Wash

08BorregoMtnWash.jpg

09BorregoMtnWash.jpg

Lunch in Arroyo Salado; the bike is facing the wrong way

15LunchStop.jpg

A Badlands picture from Vista del Malpais

21Badlands.jpg

Borrego Springs from Fonts Point

29BorregoSprings.jpg

Steve

Nice looking forward to all of these senic rides.................... :)

Steve,

Nice photo record. For not liking the D-sand, you are running some tough trails with the Suzuki.

Steve,

Nice photo record. For not liking the D-sand, you are running some tough trails with the Suzuki.

Well, of course, I didn't know what the trails were like until I got there. By the end of the day, either my sand riding had improved or I was on a better class of wash.

None of these washes were as bad a the last mile of Arroyo Seco del Diablo, which I rode in mid-November, before the rains. I was so glad to get out of that wash, only to find that the Diablo Drop-off was impassable (by me anyway) due to really deep sand and that I had to turn around and go back! :(

I am tentatively planning to ride the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands next spring. However, this ride made me realize that it would be an 11 hour ride if I rode at this pace. I will have to do some research and see if that trail is sandy or, hopefully, hard dirt.

Steve

Great Pics......beautiful scenery....I've been 4x4ing out in Anza borrego several times years ago...never riden my bike of 18 months out there, but Love the area....hoping my riding skills can get me around good enough...will have to do some research on what is appropriate for my riding level....