Sign in to follow this  
Gbus Crisis

Need a throttle with a skinny housing

Hey all,

So the simple idea of just moving my stock throttle control to the left side has hit a small snag -- the FZ1 throttle housing is huge! It's about two inches deep and also contains the kill switch and the starter button. I'm a turn signal usin' and abusing fool! I beep the horn sometimes too. That stock housing will push the turn signals too far over -- not to mention trying to get a lever to span that distance.

Please suggest to me some throttle assemblies (sleeve + housing) that will fit 7/8" bars, will open a 37mm carburetor and be less than an inch thick at the housing end. Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

So the simple idea of just moving my stock throttle control to the left side has hit a small snag -- the FZ1 throttle housing is huge! It's about two inches deep and also contains the kill switch and the starter button. I'm a turn signal usin' and abusing fool! I beep the horn sometimes too. That stock housing will push the turn signals too far over -- not to mention trying to get a lever to span that distance.

Please suggest to me some throttle assemblies (sleeve + housing) that will fit 7/8" bars, will open a 37mm carburetor and be less than an inch thick at the housing end. Thanks in advance.

look into thumb throtles off quads and atcs although it may have to go upside down??????

Before I go with an after market kit, I'd like for you guys and gals to go out to your garages and look at the throttles on your bikes. Tell me which ones are nice and compact.

Ok- I'm slow...on a bike and on line

You are asking for the "round part that houses the cable actuating cam"?

And it needs to be thin to accomodate the throttle AND all the normal left hand controls?

Won't it turn the wrong way?...ok...I will go out to the garage, do some measuring on the garage full of bikes and get back to you

What does the carb size have to do with it?

I would think most MX bikes have a narrow housing-

Ok- my DRZ, XRL, TTR125 and WR250 all have a housing that is 7/8" wide, not counting the elbow that routes the cables parallel to the handlebar. Also: the DS bikes have the starter and kill switch as a different piece.

Just glancing at it, it looks like you could swap the cables, and thaþ would negate the "opposite" throttle turn I mentioned.

Also; I have seen "add-on" 7/8" bars, for mounting GPS etc when the stock bars get too full...one of those would allow you to stack the left side of the bar as well. I'll try to get you a link.

Did you look into a thumb throttle?

Also consider whether you need the whole throttle tube and grip...that would give you another inch or so if ýou could still fit your hand on it

What does the carb size have to do with it?

If the part of the throttle sleeve that holds the cable ends is too small, the carbs won't get pulled all the way open when you run out of wrist twist. Conversely if it is too big you'll be wide open at the carbs with only a small twist of the wrist.

Ok- my DRZ, XRL, TTR125 and WR250 all have a housing that is 7/8" wide, not counting the elbow that routes the cables parallel to the handlebar. Also: the DS bikes have the starter and kill switch as a different piece.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Did you look into a thumb throttle?

Oh man, I'm only disabled -- not retarded. :lol: A thumb throttle won't work because using it and using turn signals are mutually exclusive.

Also consider whether you need the whole throttle tube and grip...that would give you another inch or so if ýou could still fit your hand on it

My hands are big. I had to take the Vista Cruise Control off of the Strom because it crowded my hand. I think I'll be using the full grip length.

It's not handle bar space I'm needing. I'm trying to keep the reach to the turn signals and horn reasonable. This is for my street bike.

chad I'll throw some ideas out there, maybe they are worth pursuing maybe not? If you have a hydraulic clutch or can get one it will give you more flexibility.

dirtbike throttles are thin. The ones that have a return cables can possibly be used on the left side by using the return cable for throttling. No twisting forward to make it work this way. May or may not be possible? Easy to figure out. Throttle cams and custom cables are available too.

what are you doing about front brakes?

You can get pretty creative with swapping hydraulic lines and brake\clutch cables around. Even more so if you have an auto clutch. Let me know if you need help wrenching.

If you have a hydraulic clutch or can get one it will give you more flexibility.

I can get the clutch lever and brake lever mounted on one perch. That's not a problem. The problem is the order the are mounted on the handlebar. My options:

1) throttle :: turn signals :: lever perch

2 )throttle :: lever perch :: turn signals

Option 1 is the ideal. The lever perch and levers are already designed (long enough) to go around an obstacle like a turn signal housing. They might be long enough to go around the turn signal housing and a thin throttle housing. I might have to get a skinny turn signal housing too. The goal now is to make the reach from throttle to turn signals as easy as possible.

I don't think Option 2 is viable. The reach will probably be too long and I don't have the option of taking my hand off the throttle to operate the turn signals.

dirtbike throttles are thin. The ones that have a return cables can possibly be used on the left side by using the return cable for throttling. No twisting forward to make it work this way. May or may not be possible? Easy to figure out. Throttle cams and custom cables are available too.

I haven't tried it yet, but can't you just reverse the cables and get the throttle tube to rotate the standard direction? Either at the throttle or at the carbs?

what are you doing about front brakes?

gptechhandbrake1.jpg

With the brake lever tied to the front brakes instead of the rear. Also no brake linking as my right foot is just fine.

You can get pretty creative with swapping hydraulic lines and brake\clutch cables around. Even more so if you have an auto clutch. Let me know if you need help wrenching.

In the first iteration I'm going to try it without the auto clutch.

ASDFS2.jpg

How 'bout switching the signals to your foot? Smaller version of this mounted on top of a side case? Or select any variety of switches....one on each side...etc.

Wow!

You guys are really off the deep end on this one. :rolleyes:

I have an automatic 79 Husky 390 with one engagement lever, throttle and front brake (no clutch lever). A friend of my brother's who lost his right arm in Viet Nam had the same 79 390 Automatic set up in a similar fashion. He moved the throttle and brake to the left side but was able to reverse the twist so it went down rather than up to open. You might look into a Magura throttle from that era. It may be reversable.

By the way, we also had a friend who lost a left leg in Viet Nam who also raced the same bike. He had to have somebody start it for him otherwise he did pretty well with one leg. :angry: