Mac250R

KTM EXC 400 Valve Adjustment

Has anyone ever attempted to adjust the valves on a KTM EXC 400? If so, can you give me an idea of how much time (and patience) is needed to complete this routine maintenance job? I've seen some how-to videos online but wanted to talk to someone that has completed this service for helpful hints. One shop I contacted charges $100. I need to decide if it's something I can do myself (or just pay and let someone else deal with it). Any feedback is appreciated.

I've done it many times, and don't find it terribly difficult- not nearly as big of a deal as some folks make it out to be. But, as I don't know your level of mechanical expertise.

I've done valve adjustments on VW engines and air-cooled ATC's. Those were really easy because of the access to the valve covers. Is disassemlying the bike so you can reach the valves tough? Do I need and angled feeler gauge? What about finding top dead center?

Doing VWs is a big help. I don't really care about finding TDC- I just turn the bike over with the kickstarter (a old-fashioned clutch will allow you to turn the rear wheel) until I see the valve close and the opposite valve open. I adjust the valve that's not opening. It's dead simple.Yes, I run a tremendous risk of being a .000001 or .000002 off due to a little cam overlap, but I don't think that's a real threat. And there is plenty of question about which spot on a cam is ideal for adjustment. The absolute best way to do it is with a dial indicator to find the lowest spot, and adjust from there. I'll never do it, I'd rather be riding.

I learned this from adjusting VW valves per the procedure of the late John Muir, the author of the definitive manual for Volkswagen owners entitled How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive; A Manual of Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. Possibly my favorite book of all time, yes, more beloved than Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Xaviera Hollander's Happy Hooker.

I take my radiators off to do the process because I have big, ungraceful hands.

No, you don't need the motion pro feeler gauge if you prefer a more difficult and complicated life. :lol:

If you prefer a simpler and uncomplicated existence, buy it.

I also change the gaskets and the copper seal rings each time because I hate oil leaks. I've no doubt there are folks who've never changed them, and lead simple and uncomplicated lives.

BUT. Please read the disclaimer on the bottom of each of my posts.

I take my radiators off to do the process because I have big, ungraceful hands.

No, you don't need the motion pro feeler gauge if you prefer a more difficult and complicated life. :lol:

If you prefer a simpler and uncomplicated existence, buy it.

I also change the gaskets and the copper seal rings each time because I hate oil leaks. I've no doubt there are folks who've never changed them, and lead simple and uncomplicated lives.

Just pay attention to Faky's Avitar... it says it all. ;)

But seriously all this is quality advise. Especialy changing the gaskets EVERY time ( thats the parts guy in me :) ) Every other RFS motor we see at AAKTM is pouring oil from the top of the head, 99% of the time the owner has never replaced the VC gaskets, and washers. The radiators... I can go either way on that one, but it is easier with them off. If you have done any old Honda ATC........ YOU CAN DO IT!

Good Luck

BC

Possibly my favorite book of all time, yes, more beloved than Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Xaviera Hollander's Happy Hooker.

And all this time I thought you were just a grease monkey. :lol:

Possibly my favorite book of all time, yes, more beloved than Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Xaviera Hollander's Happy Hooker.

Aren't these three books all by Women Authors? What is he trying to say?

KTMTALK.COM is a great source of technical info on KTMs. If you sign on there, you will find a forum just for valve adjustments with Pics and videos. Some of the methods are easier than others. I do it the way Fackname does without worrying about TDC and it's pretty easy. It helps to have the right tool. My automotive feeler gauge set was to hard to use. Motion Pro sells a feeler gauge with the right .004 and.005 at each end. Found something similar on line for $6 or so. I'm a tightwad and hate to pay someone else to do what something I ought to be able to do. This is an easy task assuming you have any kind of mechanical ability. Good luck.

KTMTALK.COM is a great source of technical info on KTMs. If you sign on there, you will find a forum just for valve adjustments with Pics and videos. Some of the methods are easier than others. I do it the way Fackname does without worrying about TDC and it's pretty easy. It helps to have the right tool. My automotive feeler gauge set was to hard to use. Motion Pro sells a feeler gauge with the right .004 and.005 at each end. Found something similar on line for $6 or so. I'm a tightwad and hate to pay someone else to do what something I ought to be able to do. This is an easy task assuming you have any kind of mechanical ability. Good luck.

Thanks for the great hand-on tips. I've found a tappet feeler gauge that came in the KTM owner's kit as well as an online video clip outlining the valve adjustments for the RFS motor:

. It looks like this job is not as bad as it appears, although patience will be a virtue. Hopefully someone can benefit from this posting.