Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Goat canyon trestle?

I have been looking over Google Earth and San Diego topographic maps trying to see if I can ride anywhere close to Goat canyon trestle. Looks like some trails get within a mile or two but I am not sure if they are passable, it's difficult to tell on Google and the topographic map shows some elevation changes from mild to wild. A friend and I have been talkign about giving it a try, but were wondering if anyone here has been anywhere near there. So what is the verdict? Try it, done it, or just absolutely crazy??

I have been looking over Google Earth and San Diego topographic maps trying to see if I can ride anywhere close to Goat canyon trestle. Looks like some trails get within a mile or two but I am not sure if they are passable, it's difficult to tell on Google and the topographic map shows some elevation changes from mild to wild. A friend and I have been talkign about giving it a try, but were wondering if anyone here has been anywhere near there. So what is the verdict? Try it, done it, or just absolutely crazy??

That is a fantastic landmark. I try to spot it from the air whenever I fly in from Phoenix.

The rail to the bridge is definitely off-limits to motor vehicles. This guys map http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/carizo.htm shows where people park to hike or bike in.

To be quite honest, I am not sure if the area is still technically accessible by bike anymore, now that the line has changed hands and has been put into partial operation. There was some damage to the bridge by vandals... "The Goat Canyon Trestle, the world's largest wooden railroad trestle, has vandalism damage, mostly from para-military types dropping rocks onto the support below." REF: http://www.otaymesa.org/otay-act/Railway2.html

That is a fantastic landmark. I try to spot it from the air whenever I fly in from Phoenix.

The rail to the bridge is definitely off-limits to motor vehicles. This guys map http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/carizo.htm shows where people park to hike or bike in.

To be quite honest, I am not sure if the area is still technically accessible by bike anymore, now that the line has changed hands and has been put into partial operation. There was some damage to the bridge by vandals... "The Goat Canyon Trestle, the world's largest wooden railroad trestle, has vandalism damage, mostly from para-military types dropping rocks onto the support below." REF: http://www.otaymesa.org/otay-act/Railway2.html

Yeah, we get a pretty good view of it when we fly helo ops out to the desert for practice landings. I wasn't looking to ride all the way out there, but hoping to find a legal trail that would get within a mile or so and be able to hike in. Looks like a few roads in the In-Ko-Pah area get to the south end and there is a road off the Imperial Highway that may get to the north end. Would be fun to try anyway.

Google => Goat Canyon Trestle

Many links to hiking and mountain bikes show a difficult trek and some places dangerous.

Legally, you can't hike or ride on or near the tracks; suggested 100' clearance to be safe.

Lots of cactus spikes and no water.

This link has many links with info at the bottom.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/deanza.htm

That said, it would still be fun to follow the directions to the Mortero Palms trailhead and see what happens.

Added to my list.

was wondering if anyone here has been anywhere near there. So what is the verdict? Try it, done it, or just absolutely crazy??

Been there, Rode that, back in the late 80's after the big rain storm wiped it out, there was a couple of years when you could ride down to the desert floor on it, I remember about 3 or 4 of the tunnels were caved in and we had to walk our bikes around them on goat paths, which was the hairest part of the ride with one exception...

..............................................THE GOAT CANYON TRUSSEL !!!

.....................Posted Image

I KID YOU NOT, when your Going down the tracks, towards the desert, you come out of a large lefthand sweeping tunnel, thats so long its really dark inside becouse you cant see any light from the end of the tunnel behind you. and due to the gap inbetween each railroad tie (thats right, no dirt, no nothing) you have to get up to about 40 mph's to make it across without the bars ripping out of your hands.. and theres only 40 feet or so before you hit the trussel.. And once commited, theres no stoping or slowing down untill you reach the other end !!!

.........................So you come out of pitch darknes into bright sunlight,

Posted Image

While going at least 40 mph, with only 40 feet of solid earth below you to decide if you want to chicken out / or not.....before you hit the trussel

Posted Image

of couse we had our tour guide that has done this before , go first !!!

And we waited at the start of trussel to see if he makes it ..

He did , So back into the tunnel a couple of hundred feet, turn around and Pin It.......

So yes tmtmo, to get back to your question...[ or just absolutely crazy?? ]

Had a group of friends that hiked it once, from the campground at I-8 to desert floor and it took them about 10 hours to do it and they had freinds waiting at bottom to bring them back up, they said they they would never to it again,

And some mountain bike guys from work that used to ride it alot..

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CarrizoGorge.htm

I've ridden that route a bunch of times on a mtn bike.

There's a trail in the wash below the trestle where it looks like you could get pretty close on a motorcycle.

Getting up to the trestle would be a steep climb, clamboring over rocks, but it would be less than a mile.

I'd be up for trying that.

The whole trail is off limits to vehicles and hikers now. The tracks have been repaired and it is now an opperating train route. Patrols are out and about there now, so dont try :-) It was a fun hike. I had done it many times in the boy scouts and with family and what not, but the only way to see it now is ride the train.