Sign in to follow this  
Jaynen

WR250R's getting "cheap"

good bike for trails but lacks power for big uphills on street and big guys - but for $3,500 it is a nice bike

when I had my 250R, my buddy with a KTM 525 swapped bikes - he said the WR250R was "slow" - indeed, there is no comparison to my KTM 400 EXC

There are plenty of very happy owners of the bike who are 6'+ and weigh over 200lbs its more a question of gearing than power. And compared to almost any other dual sport bike that can still do trails I think you would be hard pressed to find one with better street manners. It's no V-strom or KLR but compared to those bikes its pretty much ride-able on any trail. There's a reason why out of garage full of bikes a fair number of guys have only been keeping a pure offroad/mx bike and some sort of 2up riding machine because the little WRR is versatile enough to cover the other roles.

I encourage people to read the shootout on the url I posted, reading that and seeing the ride reports now from guys riding over 1500 miles in Alaska, 1000+ miles in New Mexico/Texas/Arizona, portions of the TAT, all over Deals Gap and surrounding area, and even a guy who is planning on going to siberia.

I am a pretty happy camper, but I still want a pure MX bike and a 2up bike for day to day use I love my bike and I love my bike on all of our dual sport rides also

Like any dual sport bike, its a compromise. Some people are ok with mellow power, in exchange for the 6 speeds and EFI. Some people think it feels light and agile.

Bottom line always is: some people will love it...some won't. I can pretty much guarantee that if you want wheel spinning power, wheelies on demand, and great suspension, its not the bike for you

(There's a reason people are selling them...)

Yeah, I hate compromise. I dislike four strokes, but have to have 'em for the street. I like the KLX for it's willingness to run at 3 mph or 70. I like the Husky because it has such a good handling chassis, snappy power and an electric start, but I like all my two strokes the best. :unsure:

Bottom line always is: some people will love it...some won't.

Agreed......some folks get locked into brand loyalty or follow the herd......or go by what they've read as opposed to waiting to make the call until they've actually ridden the bike themselves......my *current* ADV/dual sport stable is exclusively KTM but I don't bleed orange by any means......I've owned a variety of dirt bikes and an XR400 dual sport and a YZ400 dual sport in the past.....both had their strengths and weaknesses......a lot of nice bikes have been released by various mfgs in the past few years.......my eyes are wide open though I probably won’t change horses any time soon…..

I'd put the WR250R pretty high on my personal list of bikes that I’d like to demo for dual sport use..........it’s weight is the only obvious drawback to me prior to actually mounting one……….I don’t care about the power so much for the application I have in mind........I think there are many more folks praising them than bagging on them...........the maintenance schedule/reliability track record is VERY appealing….....and I'm confident that bike can probably crawl its way up most anything (even with a fat boy like me on board)……….the lack of zip on the street wouldn’t really bother me too much……...I have a road bike/ADV bike for more heavily street oriented rides…… I haven't ridden one yet so I don't feel I can make a truly informed decision until I actually ride one......but looking forward to riding Jason's or (?) at some point…..that said, it boggles my mind why Yamaha hasn’t released a WR450 version……

the maintenance schedule/reliability track record is VERY appealing….....

…..that said, it boggles my mind why Yamaha hasn’t released a WR450 version……

DITTO!

The 250 will take you wherever you want to go...J makes a good point....gearing. Plenty of folks here swappin' sprockets for particular rides & that's on bikes with stump pulling power/torque.

Like any dual sport bike, its a compromise. Some people are ok with mellow power, in exchange for the 6 speeds and EFI. Some people think it feels light and agile.

Bottom line always is: some people will love it...some won't. I can pretty much guarantee that if you want wheel spinning power, wheelies on demand, and great suspension, its not the bike for you

(There's a reason people are selling them...)

Actually the only reason I have seen people selling them is economics. Well not true there was one guy on Thumpertalk that sold his early on unhappy with it. Apparently the bike is really choked up and a pipe and opening intake + efi programmer gives you almost 5 hp which is a pretty big increase

I know its compromise it's just not as bad as people make it out to be. But for Paul/Shock he doesn't even feel his current 400 etc has the power he wants so for him he needs a bigger bike. One of the things I like about it even though it is pushing 300lbs is it has a subframe designed for having a passenger etc so it handles loads very well while still being a smaller bike when compared to the XR650, DR650, KLR, GS etc

I am fairly sure an advanced rider would find the limits of the suspension but that is fixable as well.

Chris you are more than welcome to borrow/test ride the bike anytime. You can even have your pick of which way you want it sumo or dual sport

Jason- I didn't mean anything by it...but I do think the PRICE they are selling at is more of my point than the fact that they are selling

I put that bike in the same league as my DRZ, with some great modern upgrades.

To the WR450 wishers...don't forget, it won't be a 450F with license plate...it will be new ground up, and do the typical Jap Bike thing...add a ton of weight, tune it down fr reliability, etc.

It won't be anything like coop, erick, trophy's bike...it will be a punched out DRZ...BUT: put a 6th gear and an EFI, it may be good enough

Jason- I didn't mean anything by it...but I do think the PRICE they are selling at is more of my point than the fact that they are selling

I put that bike in the same league as my DRZ, with some great modern upgrades.

To the WR450 wishers...don't forget, it won't be a 450F with license plate...it will be new ground up, and do the typical Jap Bike thing...add a ton of weight, tune it down fr reliability, etc.

It won't be anything like coop, erick, trophy's bike...it will be a punched out DRZ...BUT: put a 6th gear and an EFI, it may be good enough

I was not offended or anything. Yeah a WR450R will not be an F with a plate but I think that one of the biggest drawbacks to the DRZ-400 platform for most people is its age technology wise, same thing with the XR650L's. It's a lot easier to add power to a bike than it is to take a high strung bike and make it super reliable and low maintenance. I rode my father in laws XR400 and I liked the feel of it a lot, but i want E-start and now that i have it I dont want to give up EFI and 6 speed when it comes to dual sporting because of how easy it makes the bike to live.

On the dry lake bed on the X-plane ride I had no problem keeping up with the people in our group but I know my bike will do 85mph or so fairly easy

good bike for trails but lacks power for big uphills, big guys, and street - but for $3,500 it is a nice bike

Says the guy with the Civic golf cart. :lol:

(just teasing ya man)

At the risk of sending chris and jason in to a feeding frenzy-

November issue of Dirt Bike has Grant Langston with HIS dual sport WR250R

Bottom line? Mild engine massaging, a lot of suspension work, and the thing rides like a racer...from the sidelines

Get on it, and it the same basic performance you get from the factory engine.

If either of you WR fanatics wants the mag, I'll mail it to ya...

hmm I get Dirt Rider but not Dirt Bike. I'd be curious to at least read the article. Is this the April issue with the dual sport spectrum article? I see Langstrom Racing has a WR250X project bike on their site

I went to Barnes and Noble looking for it but couldnt find the right issue or whatever.

I am just curious what he has done to it and in general how he says he rides it and likes it. Don't hear about pro type guys like that usually choosing something that isnt the raciest thing out there.

November issue... PM your address, and I'll mail it... or maybe just scan it and email... be aware, Langston has a website with a WR250RX and a DRZ tricked out with "his" mods"... It MAY be that he picked the bike for the bike, OR the potential for commercial success to his business... not to be a cynic or anything :huh:

November issue... PM your address, and I'll mail it... or maybe just scan it and email... be aware, Langston has a website with a WR250RX and a DRZ tricked out with "his" mods"... It MAY be that he picked the bike for the bike, OR the potential for commercial success to his business... not to be a cynic or anything :lol:

Yeah I saw that. Is it really the Nov issue? the one I saw in the store was the Jan one and the one online is already like April. Will PM you

November issue... PM your address, and I'll mail it... or maybe just scan it and email... be aware, Langston has a website with a WR250RX and a DRZ tricked out with "his" mods"... It MAY be that he picked the bike for the bike, OR the potential for commercial success to his business... not to be a cynic or anything :lol:

Yeah I saw that. Is it really the Nov issue? the one I saw in the store was the Jan one and the one online is already like April. Will PM you

:lol: yes... it is really REALLY the November issue... that's why I keep calling it the NOVEMBER issue... it came out in... wait for it... November... I just read it in December but the front page STILL says November :lol:

Sorry Jason... I deleted your home address by mistake... PM me your home address again, and I'll get it in the mail... In January...